What is something(product/opinion) on which you disagree with Linus?

Scionyde

So, one thing I've seen as a common criticism leveled at this forum (by its own members, typically) is that too many of us take Linus' word as gospel - loving products that he loves, and hating products that he hates.

This made me curious. Therefore, I ask you LTT community: Is there a product/opinion that Linus has covered, where you feel the opposite?

I suppose if I had to come up with one, it's that I'm not as huge a fan of the Razer Blade 2014. I understand that having such a thin laptop with a great screen is an impressive feat of engineering, but I personally think with its too limited in terms of storage upgradeability and way too expensive compared to other ultrathin gaming laptops. And as sort of a side note, I've seen a gaming laptop video or two where Linus considered the lack of a touchscreen to be a negative, but I feel that it's a feature most gamers aren't interested in (although I could be wrong).

However, I do believe that socks with sandals is the pinnacle of fashion sense. ;)

DISCLAIMER: This is not intended to be a disrespectful topic that incurs flaming to other members or to Linus himself, and I certainly am not implying that Linus should change his opinions to match ours. I just thought this could be an interesting topic of discussion.

I just use Linus's videos to build my own opinion and sometimes he is just way to hard on things but thats ok because you shouldn't take his words 1:1

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Nice idea. I usually agree with Linus on most things, off the top of my head I can't think of any disagreements, but I know there are.

Him sometimes recommending the Kingston V300. He knows it's not very good compared to other offerings but continues to recommend it in some of his guides :\

Total: $54.77
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-03 07:27 EST-0500

Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($62.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $62.99

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Silverstone FT05. It's a great case, as is it's brother the RV05. Linus missed the mark with what the case is for, which is the ultimate air cooling case, in which it is unrivalled. All he had to do was take temperature tests of a couple different cases with the same rig in (do one every time they review a case) and they'd understand why it's a brilliant thing.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Him sometimes recommending the Kingston V300. He knows it's not very good compared to other offerings but continues to recommend it in some of his guides :\

Total: $54.77

Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($62.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $62.99

It's apparently quite meh now with the new thing in it. DAMN SPONSORS

Adding SSDs on value builds, and cheaping out on the GPU. I'd happily trade blazit fast 420ms loading times for a better GPU like the R9 270X or R9 280...

Click here to claim your free Linus plushie.

It's apparently quite meh now with the new thing in it. DAMN SPONSORS

Tested on five PC's, but here's screenshots from three (the ones in my sig). It's noticably slower than my MX100 in regards to 'snappiness' and load times, but it's a lot faster than a hard drive still.

Some people got lucky with fast ones/bought them before they switched, but it seems like most of the recent 120GB ones are pretty bad (including mine).

guhUdyV.png
4owkBkh.png
qrAJYXR.png

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Hes sometimes harsh on things and nitpicky (I dont know if I wrote this corectly), like on the logitech something orion spark, particulary on the keycaps. I personally dont have experience with it but I believe they arent such a big problem. And adding ssds on budget builds. I dont have an ssd and am running an 800€ pc (about 960$). I just dont think the fast boot times etc are worth 100+€, I radher put that money towards the cpu or gpu

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Tested on five PC's, but here's screenshots from three (the ones in my sig). It's noticably slower than my MX100 in regards to 'snappiness' and load times, but it's a lot faster than a hard drive still.

Some people got lucky with fast ones/bought them before they switched, but it seems like most of the recent 120GB ones are pretty bad (including mine).

guhUdyV.png
4owkBkh.png
qrAJYXR.png

Isn't a WD Black nearly as good as that? :P

His choice to use an anti static strap+mat. It's a waste of time, effort, and money. I've built computers in the middle of the winter while standing on a carpeted floor and wearing nylon shorts and I've never fried a component. The only computer I even know of that has been damaged by static was my grandmother's when she decided to clean it with a vacuum. Unless you regularly rub balloons on your head and lick electronic components, using anti static protection is the equivalent of calling the fire department to blow out the candles on your birthday cake because they might burn down your house. Its very difficult to damage components unless you are actively trying to do so.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

guhUdyV.png
4owkBkh.png
qrAJYXR.png

My 2TB hard drive isnt far off 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

My 2TB hard drive isnt far off 

Isn't a WD Black nearly as good as that? :P

SSD's are able to very quickly access small amounts of data, making even the slowest SSD's (V300) faster than any hard drive in terms of snappiness. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

His choice to use an anti static strap+mat. It's a waste of time, effort, and money. I've built computers in the middle of the winter while standing on a carpeted floor and wearing nylon shorts and I've never fried a component. The only computer I even know of that has been damaged by static was my grandmother's when she decided to clean it with a vacuum. Unless you regularly rub balloons on your head and lick electronic components, using anti static protection is the equivalent of calling the fire department to blow out the candles on your birthday cake because they might burn down your house. Its very difficult to damage components unless you are actively trying to do so.

This exactly, i cable managed my PC on carpet and was plugging stuff in without a strap. there ware absolutely no problems at all 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

SSD's are able to very quickly access small amounts of data, making even the slowest SSD's (V300) faster than any hard drive in terms of snappiness. 

But for read and write, the most recent Barracudas and WD Blacks are not far off the V300

But for read and write, the most recent Barracudas and WD Blacks are not far off the V300

Indeed

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Indeed

Exactly, thats why most people choose them for storing games 

guhUdyV.png
4owkBkh.png
qrAJYXR.png

These are my 3~ year old Mushkin Chronos SSD readings... Is it any good O.o Numbers are fairly similar to v300, and are a lot worse than other SSD readings i've seen online... :(

http://prntscr.com/5nza05

To disagree with Linus is to disagree with creation and the nature of the universe. It is heresy; one does not disagree with their god who is manifest.

- Hallowed are the followers of Linus.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Fractal design cases.

Cheap, boring, and ugly looking.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Fractal design cases.

Cheap, boring, and ugly looking.

Yeah, and some of his builds as well. He needs to praise Phanteks cases more

i wish he did a non sponsored all out video with just his personal exclusive PC build guide with no profit at all for just one video no ads no subscribe here tags just balls to the walls personal quote content with no sponsors just his outright straight opinion from him on what's good no budgets involved straight tier to tier performance build guide/review. that's the only thing i have an opinion on his videos..

Details separate people.

I disagreed with him on the windows phone review, because in my mind if you buy a windows phone, you aren't buying an android phone, which is all he seemed to compare it to.