AMD Value Gaming Build Guide [Mid Range Gaming]

AlvinPacheco

AMD Value Gaming Build Log

Intro: So yeah, Linus already made an AMD Value Gaming Build Log last year and I notice in the comments that some of the guys still can't afford it. Now that's why I created this thread. And by this, hope I can help you build your first Mid Range Gaming PC.

Before we start with our rationale, may i remind you that THIS BUILD IS CHEAPED OUT, REALLY CHEAP I CAN'T ENSURE YOU MAX PERFORMANCE..

Parts Breakdown:

• APU: AMD A8-6600K Richland 3.9ghz (4.2ghz Turbo Clock).
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte F2A78M-HD2.
  • Memory: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistics Tactical Tracer CL 9 1866mhz.
  • HDD or SSD (Your choice): HDD = Western Digital Caviar Blue 500gb , SSD = Crucial M500 120gb.
  • Graphics Card (optional still your choice)Sapphire R7 265 Dual-X 2GB 256bit DDR5.
  • Cooling (optional): Cooler Master Hyper 212x or 212 Evo.
  • Power Supply: Corsair CX500M
  • Case: Bitfenix Comrade

AND BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE, READ MY EXPLANATION IN EACH PARTS FIRST BEFORE COMMENTING. THANKS :)

So this is the list of what I think can be the most cheap but still has that acceptable performance you may use in a VALUE build, and if you think this build will not help you, you can leave this thread right away. Now let's start shall we?

Firstof is our APU, AMD A8-6600k is my choice because of its acceptable performance in a cheap price under a 100$. It can be also overclocked at 4.2ghz at 1.350v which is GREAT but if your crazy enough then 4.2ghz above overclocking is still an option, but be careful not to destroy your APU. This APU also has an included GPU core of an AMD Radeon HD 8570D which can play your LOL, DOTA, and many more casual games in a High settings a gamer might prefer, BUT in Triple A title games this integrated video card might only work on Low settings but in a playable frame rate which is good. But STILL you can add your preferred GPU like a Sapphire R7 265 which we will talk about a moment.

Second  is our Motherboard which is a Gigabyte F2A78M-HD2 which is also a pretty decent motherboard of its price. It's an Ultra Durable 4 plus board as Gigabyte would say that might mean it has more quality and a pretty strong board. It also has a Dual Bios that can be useful if you will have a bios failure making the 2nd one your backup. It's also an FM2/FM2+ board which is GREAT if you want to upgrade to a Kaveri APU in the future, has a PCIe 3.0 slot, Supports triple monitor, supports Raid 0 , 1 , 10 and also supports an USB 3.0 port. Overall a good gaming entry level board.

Third is the memory which is a 2x4gb Crucial Ballistics Tactical Tracer, for style and performance in a great price, Includes different colored LED's like Blue/Orange , Red/Green. I picked 2x4gb CL 9 1866mhz for a decent gaming performance but if you still have a budget for a lower CL and Higher mhz ram then go for it. Aaaaaand nothing more to say.

Fourth is the HDD or the SSD (your choice what to pick) which is a Western Digital Caviar Blue 500gb or a Crucial M500 120gb. Now like what Linus always says, If you want to have great storage for your videos, pictures, music or whatever you store there then it's just right to pickup a HDD and add a SSD in the future and make your HDD your storage and SSD for the OS the the important apps you are using. OR choose a SSD if you want high performance and add a HDD in the future for your storage. But either way Western Digital Caviar Blue 500gb or a Crucial M500 120gb is what I think the best sweet spot for a HDD or SSD in a Value oriented build.

Fifth is the Graphics Card which is optionallike what I've said earlier, the built in GPU core inside the APU of our choice can still run some of the Triple A title games in low settings but if your'e a quality freak then getting a graphics card is a must but it will take away the BUDGET of this build. So if you will get one I'll recommend you to get a Sapphire R7 265 Dual-X 2GB 256bit DDR5 which is also a Performance=Price card that can run your latest games @ High or Ultra settings (still depends on what game.). BUT if you think this card can't run the game you wanna play then it's still your choice what GPU you'll buy depending on your budget.

Sixth is the Cooler (which is optional too) which is the ohmighty great Performance = Price cooler, the most used HSF which has an outstanding performance that can smash other coolers higher that its price and had received many great reviews from other users. THE Cooler Master Hyper 212x or 212 Evo. Has an included fan with a 4th Gen bearing, Direct Contact heatpipes for better cooling, supports any board of choice, If your'e gonna overclock your APU then this is a MUST buy. If not, the stock cooler might do the job for you.

Seventh is the Power Supply which is the Corsair CX500M, it's a 500w power supply with a 80plus Bronze rating, 85% efficency, includes x1 ATX 24pin, x1 ATX12V 8pin, x2 PCI-E 6pin and 8pin, x5 Sata, x4 molex 4pin, x1 floppy 4pin. A decent power supply to power your video card of choice, your motherboard, sata's, and more. Overall a great power supply also in a cheap price under 100$.

Eight is the Case which is the BitFenix Comrade, built with steel and plastic, available in color black and white, supports mini itx, micro atx, and atx board which is great for an upgrade room in the future in case you want to change boards and stuffs, has x3 5.25" , x3 3.5" and x3 2.5" drive bays with tool less mechanism which is nice for maximum storage. Has x2 120mm fan mount at front with dust filter and an included 120mm fan at the rear. With 7 Pci slots you can have crossfire and such, Power supply can be mounted multi directional (up or down), with included dust filter. Has a HD audio, 1 usb 2.0 and 1 usb 3.0 port. Unfortunately this case can't suport the HYPER 212X cooler because of its height, so if you already had that case then just mod it to a extended window mod so it will look better and also have an extended height limit for the cooler to fit in.. Overall, Making it a cheap but somewhat flexible case in this build.

But if your looking for other cases drop by in my other thread here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/279490-whats-the-top-10-m-atx-cases-of-2014-cougar-spike-review/

So this is it, my version of the AMD Value Gaming Build Guide. I hope you like it and please feel free to comment if you have any positive or negative reactions. I really put my time and effort in this one so it will be a pleasure if you liked it. That's all thanks again.  :D

Adobo, Kilawin, Liempo and More. :)

Why would you get an APU and then a dGPU that cannot do Hybrid Crossfire with it? You would be better off getting an Athlon X4 760K/860K or Pentium G3258

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Get a 860K or 760K or 750K it's better.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Why would you get an APU and then a dGPU that cannot do Hybrid Crossfire with it? You would be better off getting an Athlon X4 760K/860K or Pentium G3258

Nooo no dual core.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Nooo no dual core.

G3258 beats the athlon 760k/860k in every gaming scenario albeit with some lower minimums. I would go for the I3 though

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

G3258 beats the athlon 760k/860k in every gaming scenario albeit with some lower minimums. I would go for the I3 though

Yeah nooo not always, fps isn't everything.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Get an athlon and use the spared money for an R9 270, it should be only slightly more expensive than the 265 but kick its ass ^^

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I choose an APU if the other users haven't have enough money to buy a video card thats why the GPU in the list is optional and still a budget card for budget builders:) but that's also a good one, spending the cpu to an Athlon then save for a greater video card.

That build isn't that good...

The CPU isn't that great because, as said, the Athlon is way better and does not have a iGPU, which results in a lower price tag.

A88X motherboards are cheap and can OC the CPU to higher clocks, I think.

RAM with LEDs sometimes are more expensive and the performance is the same. It still is a good choice, but the RAM, IMO, is up to you.

Get 1 or more TB of storage. About the SSD, get a decent one and, if you can, with 240+ GB of space. 120GB won't cut it.

GPU. Get the best you can without cheaping out on the remaining components.

The cooler is option but it always is a good thing to have. CM's Hyper 212 EVO is what I recommend if it fits the case. If it doesn't, low profile CPU coolers aren't bad either.

PSU. 80+ Bronze is the least I would get. Don't get PSUs from unknown brands, it sometimes results in problems.

Case. If you get a Y size motherboard, get an Y size case, not an X size case. Y and X stand for whatever motherboard format you want.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate that some guys are doing critics for my Build Log. :) Keep it coming. Or maybe if you guys want, we can adjust the build guide.

The Comrade is somewhat limited in airflow also, a Bitfenix Neos (same internals) would be a better option if you will fill it with high heat components.

There is 2x120mm fan mounts on the Comrade, but you will have trouble to use thoose fans 100% as the only opening in the front panel is a cutout in the bottom wich can give you airflow noise and a bit higher inside temps.

Comrade will most probably not give you overheating problems, but, with a Neos you can lower the fan speeds, running the system less noisy and have better cooling trough the case, for long gaming sessions.

I´m HP, the Bitfenix community rep. on LTT - Answering your questions about our products and hanging around in the forums!
Feel free to ask questions in the forums - Personal support issues/RMA -> support.bitfenix.com

I choose an APU if the other users haven't have enough money to buy a video card thats why the GPU in the list is optional and still a budget card for budget builders:) but that's also a good one, spending the cpu to an Athlon then save for a greater video card.

The base budget for a budget gaming PC is 500 $ tops or 600$............because you also need to take in account OS purchase and peripherals

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

The Comrade is somewhat limited in airflow also, a Bitfenix Neos (same internals) would be a better option if you will fill it with high heat components.

There is 2x120mm fan mounts on the Comrade, but you will have trouble to use thoose fans 100% as the only opening in the front panel is a cutout in the bottom wich can give you airflow noise and a bit higher inside temps.

Comrade will most probably not give you overheating problems, but, with a Neos you can lower the fan speeds, running the system less noisy and have better cooling trough the case, for long gaming sessions.

Thanks for that tip Bitfenix, :) Glad that you read my thread.

Get an athlon and use the spared money for an R9 270, it should be only slightly more expensive than the 265 but kick its ass ^^

I can agree with this as I have an athlon with a 270  :D

PC Specs   - Black and White Build

Intel Core i5 4690k MSI Z97S Krait LGA 1150

Crucial Ballistix Sport 1x8GB 1600MHZ

Sapphire Radeon R9 270 (Will be upgrading this soon)

EVGA 500W PSU

Phanteks Enthoo Pro - White