RPG game suggestions

Anje

I'm looking for a single-player RPG game. Preferably one with minimal grinding work, similar in play to KOTOR, Fable, and/or Far Cry.

Games I've already played: Kotor 1&2, Fable 1,2,& 3, Far Cry 1,2,3 & 4, Fallout 1,2,3, & New Vegas, Red Dead Redemption, the whole GTA series, and Skyrim.

Could try out the old Dragon Age games (not Inquisition since that feels a bit grindy). The first two are very similar to SW:KOTOR

I agree with dragosudeki, try Dragon Age. I'm a big fan of the first game, Dragon Age:Origin. I really dislike the second, but thats probably just me. :)

Bioshock
Borderlands (Open World)
Bulletstorm
Mafia 2 (Open World)
Dishonored
Metro
Tomb Raider 2013
Darksiders
Assassin's Creed (Open World)

There are so many...

Edit:
Dark Soul

Max Payne
L.A. Noire
Grand Theft Auto
Watch Dogs
Risen !!!!!! <- AWESOME GAME!!! There exist 3 titles. I played the first and second one and they're just awesome. I definitly have to play the third one.

Have you played any of the Mass Effect (1, 2 & 3) games yet?  From the list of games you've tried I think you might really enjoy it.

Mass Effect 4 is in development.

CPU: i7 4790K @ 4.7GHz | Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower Max AC | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400MHz | GPU: MSI GTX980 Gaming 4G TwinFrozr V | Case: NZXT Switch 810 SE | Cooler: Corsair H105 Hydro |

SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Storage: WD Caviar Black 3TB | Displays: Samsung P2450 & Samsung 2232GW | Keyboard: Tesoro Colada G3NL Black Aluminum (Cherry MX Brown)

Gothic 1,2 (good old classic)

The Elder Scrolls : Morrowind , Oblivion 

And ,  as others already suggested , Dragon Age series

The Mass Effect series, Morrowind, Oblivion, The Witcher 1/2, Metro 2033, and the Borderlands (at least the first two) series get my reccomendation.

Bioshock

Borderlands (Open World)

Bulletstorm

Mafia 2 (Open World)

Dishonored

Metro

Tomb Raider 2013

Darksiders

Assassin's Creed (Open World)

There are so many...

Edit:

Dark Soul

Max Payne

L.A. Noire

Grand Theft Auto

Watch Dogs

Risen !!!!!! <- AWESOME GAME!!! There exist 3 titles. I played the first and second one and they're just awesome. I definitly have to play the third one.

Max Payne, LA Noire, GTA, Tomb Raider, Metro, Assassin's Creed, and to a lesser extent, Bioshock, Dishonored, Bulletstorm, Mafia 2.... none of these are RPGs.

Sure, some of them have things that you can upgrade, such as Assassin's Creed, Tomb Raider, and Bioshock... but for the most part, they are not RPGs. You don't level up. You don't choose skills. There are very few, if any choices that you can make that affect the world or characters in any way... most of what you listed are just shooters.

At any rate, Dragon Age Origins, as others have said, is a very good RPG. Currently on sale pretty cheap on Steam, I believe. The gameplay is almost identical to KotOR.

Also, the Mass Effect series is very good.

The Witcher games are also fantastic. Witcher 2 is also on sale super cheap on Steam right now.

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

Max Payne, LA Noire, GTA, Tomb Raider, Metro, Assassin's Creed, and to a lesser extent, Bioshock, Dishonored, Bulletstorm, Mafia 2.... none of these are RPGs.

Sure, some of them have things that you can upgrade, such as Assassin's Creed, Tomb Raider, and Bioshock... but for the most part, they are not RPGs. You don't level up. You don't choose skills. There are very few, if any choices that you can make that affect the world or characters in any way... most of what you listed are just shooters.

RPG means role-playing game... Tell me how you do not play a certain role in one of those games? 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing_game

RPG means role-playing game... Tell me how you do not play a certain role in one of those games? 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing_game

By that logic, every game is a role-playing game. When I'm playing Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, I'm playing the role of a law-breaking street racer. When I'm playing Left 4 Dead, I playing the role of a zombie-killing apocalypse survivor. When I'm playing Roller Coaster Tycoon, I'm playing the role of a entrepreneurial theme-park owner.

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

By that logic, every game is a role-playing game. When I'm playing Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, I'm playing the role of a law-breaking street racer. When I'm playing Left 4 Dead, I playing the role of a zombie-killing apocalypse survivor. When I'm playing Roller Coaster Tycoon, I'm playing the role of a entrepreneurial theme-park owner.

Didn't you read the article on wikipedia? There are even RPG cardbord-games. A RPG is not only a video game with skills and levels.

I haven't played them yet, but the Witcher games are supposed to be good...Also, Witcher 3 is coming out.

The Witcher series is fantastic, as is Divinity: Original sin. If you want something more old school then you could give Baldur's Gate 1&2 a shot. 

Didn't you read the article on wikipedia? There are even RPG cardbord-games. A RPG is not only a video game with skills and levels.

You're missing the point.

If every game is an RPG, then the RPG classification is useless and redundant.

There's a reason such genre segregation exists, and simplifying the genre to suit your needs only serves to confuse the situation.

You're missing the point.

If every game is an RPG, then the RPG classification is useless and redundant.

There's a reason such genre segregation exists, and simplifying the genre to suit your needs only serves to confuse the situation.

Thats like saying, 'calling a bus a bus is useless. It has 4 wheels and an engine, so why not just call it a car?'

And no, not every game is a RPG. Again, read the article.

Thats like saying, 'calling a bus a bus is useless. It has 4 wheels and an engine, so why not just call it a car?'

And no, not every game is a RPG. Again, read the article.

That's exactly what you're doing... calling a "bus" a "car".

Also, I didn't say every game was an RPG. I was making a point of your oversimplification of the genre. Perhaps you should read my posts again.

That's exactly what you're doing... calling a "bus" a "car".

Also, I didn't say every game was an RPG. I was making a point of your oversimplification of the genre. Perhaps you should read my posts again.

You said, that calling every game a RPG, would make "the RPG classification [...] useless and redundant"

But thats simply not true. I never said every game would be a RPG. Thats why I linked to the wikipedia article.

RPGs already existed when computers didn't even exist. A show in a theater is nothing more than a RPG. Heaving sex and playing the "sexy ups man" is also a RPG. :lol:  It has absolutly NOTHING to do with computers. Leveling. grinding, dungeons and other stuff have also nothing to do with it. It's a simple game where you play in a certain role.  ;) 

You said, that calling every game a RPG, would make "the RPG classification [...] useless and redundant"

But thats simply not true. I never said every game would be a RPG. Thats why I linked to the wikipedia article.

RPGs already existed when computers didn't even exist. A show in a theater is nothing more than a RPG. Heaving sex and playing the "sexy ups man" is also a RPG. :lol:  It has absolutly NOTHING to do with computers. Leveling. grinding, dungeons and other stuff have also nothing to do with it. It's a simple game where you play in a certain role.  ;) 

Again, you're missing the point. This isn't a thread about the general discussion of RPGs. This is a thread about specifically video game RPGs. Most of the titles you originally listed, are not classified as RPGs.

As an example, I'll speak about a common argument among people who play Destiny. Some claim that Destiny is an MMO... based on the merits that it shares several features that are common in MMOs, such as spending most of your time grinding for gear, or the fact that there is a social/hub area with NPCs and multiple players running around.

However, Destiny is not an MMO because it's not possible for Destiny to be classified as such simply based on the fact that it's not "massive". There are a maximum of 16 players present in any area at any given time, including that hub area. If 16 players allow a game to be classified as "Massively Multiplayer", then every shooter that has had support for over 16 players could technically be classified as an "MMO".

Attempting to change the definition of what makes an MMO to suit the incorrect notion that destiny is an MMO, allows for nearly any game played online to be classified as an MMO. This renders the classification useless and redundant. Much in the same way that attempting to shoehorn Max Payne into the RPG genre of video games (you have it listed up there, among others), only serves to render the genre useless... and redundant.

At any rate, I've spoken my piece on this particular subject, and I'll no longer continue to derail the thread. At this point, I think I'll only be able to repeat myself anyway. 

Again, you're missing the point. This isn't a thread about the general discussion of RPGs. This is a thread about specifically video game RPGs. Most of the titles you originally listed, are not classified as RPGs.

This thread isn't at all about any discussion on the definition of genres. So maybe just don't even start such stupid discussions about a genre that exists for over hundreds of years now.

This thread isn't at all about any discussion on the definition of genres. So maybe just don't even start such stupid discussions about a genre that exists for over hundreds of years now.

@Senzelian

Max Payne isn't an RPG (CRPG, which is what we are discussing here, this hasn't been specifically stated but it is inferred as this is a tech forum and the PC Game section of that forum. So any referral to RPG means CRPG) there isn't any possible argument to this, it just isn't. The article you linked refers to the non computer forms of RPG so the definition is irrelevant.

CRPGs are referenced in the article and it says this,

Role-playing video games use much of the same terminology, settings and game mechanics as early pen-and-paper role-playing games such as Dungeons & Dragons.[2] Generally, the player controls a central game character, or multiple game characters, usually called a party, and attain victory by completing a series of quests or reaching the conclusion of a central storyline. Players explore a game world, while solving puzzles and engaging in tactical combat. A key feature of the genre is that characters grow in power and abilities, and characters are typically designed by the player.[1] RPGs rarely challenge a player's physical coordination or reaction time, with the exception of action role-playing games.[3]

Some of the above refers to any game but add in the other aspects - puzzle solving, tactical combat, party systems, characters grow in power and abilities and characters are typically designed by the player. These are what define a CRPG, this is not Max Payne and some of the other games you listed.

There's no point in arguing about non CRPGs as this is obviously what the OP was discussing.

Sorry for derailing things further but this pedantic, obviously hugely wrong and wilfully mis informed opinion that a game like MP is a CRPG really rubbed my rhubarb.

5950 - 3090 - 32gb - Aorus FV43U - Steam Deck - Fuji xPro 3 - Olympus OM1 n