Microsoft working on new browser ( not IE)

AlexGoesHigh

So IE+, not a bad name, as long as the Icon is still the lower case e it will be fine (you know how many people tell me, I click on the blue "e" to get on the internet. If they change the Icon to something odd their lower tier users will be totally lost.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

In before it's just an updated version of Internet Explorer but a bunch of 12 year olds will praise it as the best thing ever because

1) It has a "cool" name

2) It's Halo related

3) It's the new kid on the block and being obscure is always super cool. Chrome and Firefox are too common these days. Better use something else.

IE has a lot of huge flaws and I doubt Microsoft will fix them with this new browser. I rarely see anyone bring them up though so my guess is that people just don't care.

You know, the flaws like terrible support for standards, awful UI, closed source, lack of extensions (even if they make the support for it better it will still be pretty bad until a lot of extensions are released) and so on.

They have had the chance to redeem themselves multiple times in the past and failed every single time. I don't think this time will be any different.

https://status.modern.ie/?sort=status

IE even supports some standards that no other browser currently supports such as Streams API, IME API, Pointer Events, Block bindings, Object Built-ins (ES6), HTTP/2, and ES6 Object Literal Enhancements.

This isn't 2006 anymore.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Preloaded, that will go down well with the EU.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Preloaded, that will go down well with the EU.

What? you can't have software pre-loaded on an OS in the EU?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Its only disallowed if you're Microsoft apparently. Everybody else gets a free pass.  :rolleyes:

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Spartans just go MIA...

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Well they got in trouble for preloading internet explorer and creating a "monopoly" So they forced microsoft to include a browser chooser which lists about 8 browsers for you to pick one from instead. IIRC Internet Explorer has (recommended) beside it but thats about it.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Malware will be called the "Covenant"

Command prompt the "Forerunners" 

This is just Microsoft being bad at marketing, using a established game franchise with a serious hit in brand lately for naming because they can't come up with any original. 

Just sounds weird: "Ok sir, please open up Spartan, and we can blablabla"

Yo bro, got the latest 64bit spartan update. lol 

Spartan is just a code name. It will change to something stupid like Internet Explorer 2 when it officially releases.

i actually like IE, as it's the most lightweight browser, second to Firefox. and chrome?, meh, only good for youtube.

the only thing that i don't like about it, is the extension support, it does support my primary ext. like WOT and Lastpass, but i don't like how the added toolbar look out of place.

with  this new thing, i hope they would improve the extension support, especially the UI.

they should just drop it, and ship with chrome, 

Chrome FTW

im uninstalling spartan and ie11 first thing, already did it on windows 7 and 8.1

Really ? Chrome is getting worst and worst so I don't want the other browsers to go away. Latest version of IE is actually a charm to develop for. People claiming poor standard support just don't know what they're talking about.

They really need to redesign the UI from scratch though. And I whish they could rename it as well so that "old IE" reputation doesn't linger around...

https://status.modern.ie/?sort=status

IE even supports some standards that no other browser currently supports such as Streams API, IME API, Pointer Events, Block bindings, Object Built-ins (ES6), HTTP/2, and ES6 Object Literal Enhancements.

This isn't 2006 anymore.

You know, linking to Microsoft's own tests to check standard support is a terrible idea because they will just cherry pick the ones they support and ignore a lot of the ones they don't.

How about we look at some impartial test suits like HTML5Test and CanIUse?

Also please don't lie about what other browsers support. I haven't looked into all of the things you listed but I know for a fact that HTTP/2 is implemented and enabled by default in newer version of Firefox (and by newer I mean like 3-4 versions behind the most up to date one).

Not to mention all the standards they were painfully slow to adopt. They were several years late to adding support for <video>.

Really ? Chrome is getting worst and worst so I don't want the other browsers to go away. Latest version of IE is actually a charm to develop for. People claiming poor standard support just don't know what they're talking about.

They really need to redesign the UI from scratch though. And I whish they could rename it as well so that "old IE" reputation doesn't linger around...

what do you find wrong with chrome?

its fast, and  uses the ram to improve performance, it rarely if never crashes for me, 

"This engine that doesn't yet exist sucks because I am smart!"

"No! It's amazing because I am smart!"

Imagine if it turns out to be the greatest browser in the world.

I wonder how many people would refuse to use it due to the reputation of IE.

"This engine that doesn't yet exist sucks because I am smart!"

"No! It's amazing because I am smart!"

I don't see anyone in this thread saying that.

Even as someone who strongly prefers Chrome, I'm interested in seeing what MS will do with this

Chrome FTW

im uninstalling spartan and ie11 first thing, already did it on windows 7 and 8.1

Why would you uninstall IE?

What happens when your chrome/firefox breaks, eh?

Edit: I'd totally switch from chrome if it's not such a ram hog...Even though chrome is definitely going to be more unified..

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Spartans just go MIA...

if i may

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Malware will be called the "Covenant"

Command prompt the "Forerunners" 

This is just Microsoft being bad at marketing, using a established game franchise with a serious hit in brand lately for naming because they can't come up with any original. 

Just sounds weird: "Ok sir, please open up Spartan, and we can blablabla"

Yo bro, got the latest 64bit spartan update. lol 

I actually think that would be cool....

Why would you uninstall IE?

What happens when your chrome/firefox breaks, eh?

Edit: I'd totally switch from chrome if it's not such a ram hog...Even though chrome is definitely going to be more unified..

thats a big if lol xD the ram thing is not a big deal i have 16 it only using 2 when having tons of tabs open is fine, its quick and responsive.

thats a big if lol xD the ram thing is not a big deal i have 16 it only using 2 when having tons of tabs open is fine, its quick and responsive.

Seriously, one day you'll have a problem with your web browser and you'll be screwed. You mark my words

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Seriously, one day you'll have a problem with your web browser and you'll be screwed. You mark my words

ill remember that.

I have the ninite tool xD, and have chrome opera, and firefox loaded on the package....

so one of those will work "if" i "need" to install a new browser... xD

Chrome FTW

You can't uninstall IE, windows explorer uses it. You can remove the application in as much as you don't know its there but it still is there.

Also in Europe MS have to unpin IE from the taskbar and install an app which gives you a choice of installing one of the current top 10 list of browsers as the systems default browser.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)