Will my CPU Limit the 970?

Skwoad

Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting a eVGA Gtx 970 in the next couple of days and was wondering how much my i7 920 @ 2.6ghz would be limiting (or bottlenecking) the 970?

I'm hoping not that much as I wish to get the most out of the 970.

Thanks in advance,

Skwoad

Asus Maximus - VII - Ranger || I5-4690k @ Stock... for now at least :P || Noctua DH-14 || eVGA Gtx 970 FTW edition || G_skill Areas 8gb RAM || Samsung 440 evo SSD 120gb || 2x Seagate Barracuda 2tb drives.

No it wont limit the 970. (i think) 

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

Yes it will in a lot of games, you can overclock it to reduce a lot/all of the bottleneck though.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

It will limit it, but like I alwyas said nothing can completely bottleneck a pc component, you will always get a performance gain and in this case the gain is worth it.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Yes it will in a lot of games, you can overclock it to reduce a lot/all of the bottleneck though.

I was considering overclocking however I don't like overclocking using the baseclock, it effects too many other things.

It will limit it, but like I alwyas said nothing can completely bottleneck a pc component, you will always get a performance gain and in this case the gain is worth it.

How much would it limit it by? And will it be a noticeable difference from a HD7950?

Would it be worth upgrading cpu first and then get the 970 later?

Asus Maximus - VII - Ranger || I5-4690k @ Stock... for now at least :P || Noctua DH-14 || eVGA Gtx 970 FTW edition || G_skill Areas 8gb RAM || Samsung 440 evo SSD 120gb || 2x Seagate Barracuda 2tb drives.

I have that exact same CPU, and I've even OC'd it to 3.9 GHz, and I wouldn't put more than an R9 280 in it. It is sure to bottleneck a GTX 970.

edit: as far as OCing with the baseclock, it's not too bad so long as you don't go nuts. I have a BCLK of 180, but turned other multipliers down and I somewhat was able to isolate the CPU. Not completely, but mostly.

it will but games would still be playable. I would suggest that its time for a system upgrade ;)

I was considering overclocking however I don't like overclocking using the baseclock, it effects too many other things.

How much would it limit it by? And will it be a noticeable difference from a HD7950?

If you already have a 7950 you should probably upgrade your CPU first, as it's still an amazing graphics card. 

Since you don't like overclocking I'd recommend an i5-4460.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

If you already have a 7950 you should probably upgrade your CPU first, as it's still an amazing graphics card. 

Since you don't like overclocking I'd recommend an i5-4460.

I was considering getting a i5- 4690k and overclocking it.

The reason I dont want to overclock my 920 is because of how its done. Its not a change of the clock, its changing baseclock - therefore ram, storage and cpu.

Also, would 520W be enough to overclock a 4690K to around 4.2-4.5ghz?

You won't be playing arma2 of course, but many games will benefit. However considering your not OCed maybe a i5-4460 will do.

Pascal laptops guide

I have that exact same CPU, and I've even OC'd it to 3.9 GHz, and I wouldn't put more than an R9 280 in it. It is sure to bottleneck a GTX 970.

edit: as far as OCing with the baseclock, it's not too bad so long as you don't go nuts. I have a BCLK of 180, but turned other multipliers down and I somewhat was able to isolate the CPU. Not completely, but mostly.

I've never done any overclocking before, and would prefer to start with something easy. 

I know its not bad if you stay within reason, just not too confidant. 

It sure as hell will kill it in some games.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

So long as you don't put too much voltage in, worst case scenario you just remove the CMOS battery to automatically return the MoBo to defaults. It's worth a try.

You won't be playing arma2 of course, but many games will benefit. However considering your not OCed maybe a i5-4460 will do.

I was considering getting this: http://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/Products-details.phtml?id=10&id2=13&bid=2&sid=195666

Thats a 4690k. I would also have to get a 1150 socket mobo to go with it. It might be worth just getting the mobo and cpu and upgrading gpu at a later date?

NO. An i7 920 is still plenty for a 970. I get zero bottlenecks running an R9 290X in the games I play which are quite heavily single threaded. However if you have good enough airflow and PSU power then you can get a second 7950/7970/280/280X and run them in CrossFire, which would be more power then a 970.

"Rawr XD"

What do you play, because at 3.5 it's not bottlenecking my 290X.

"Rawr XD"

NO. An i7 920 is still plenty for a 970. I get zero bottlenecks running an R9 290X in the games I play which are quite heavily single threaded. However if you have good enough airflow and PSU power then you can get a second 7950/7970/280/280X and run them in CrossFire, which would be more power then a 970.

What about at stock? Yours is at 3.5GHz and OP doesn't want to overclock.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

What do you play, because at 3.5 it's not bottlenecking my 290X.

It bottlenecks my R9 270 when I play Diablo 3 or Starcraft 2 and lots of things are going on, even with the OC. In Diablo 3, I can even get frame drops down to like 12. It's single core performance is akin to an FX-6300, which is known to cause CPU bottlenecks with better cards.

I'd say for now buy the 970 and try it, if your. It satisfied with the performance try OCing, if you still not yet try getting a new cup.

Pascal laptops guide

Although i had thought about xfire, My psu would not support it.

Plus the hassle of it not being supported in many games is not worth it. 

I was going to get a psu upgrade + Gtx770, but my store stopped stocking 770's

My psu only has 2 6 pin- so the eVGA 970's are some of the only high end cards that have 2 6 pin.

Depends on what you're playing.

"Rawr XD"

Its not that I dont want to overclock, its more I don't trust myself and I dont feel like running 3+ overnight stability tests for ram and cpu etc.

Although i had thought about xfire, My psu would not support it.

Plus the hassle of it not being supported in many games is not worth it. 

I was going to get a psu upgrade + Gtx770, but my store stopped stocking 770's

My psu only has 2 6 pin- so the eVGA 970's are some of the only high end cards that have 2 6 pin.

What games do you play? 

"Rawr XD"

I was considering getting this: http://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/Products-details.phtml?id=10&id2=13&bid=2&sid=195666

Thats a 4690k. I would also have to get a 1150 socket mobo to go with it. It might be worth just getting the mobo and cpu and upgrading gpu at a later date?

Do you think you can wait? Broadwell is just around the corner, and it might be worth getting, as well as it might make the current gen prices drop.

Or, if you really don't care, wait until Skylake. Though I feel that would be too much.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Do you think you can wait? Broadwell is just around the corner, and it might be worth getting, as well as it might make the current gen prices drop.

Or, if you really don't care, wait until Skylake. Though I feel that would be too much.

Prices on Intel CPU's don't drop, look at the 3570k/3770k for example, just as expensive as 4690k/4790k.

RIP in pepperonis m8s