3 Builds, 3 Cases.

duckypath
Go to solution Solved by MoDtEc,

The node is a little too big, and the form factor seems like it would be hard to move around.

Ah silly me! of course :D

Xigmatek Aquila? Looks better imo than the silverstone, might be a bit bigger but has quite sturdy handles as far as i know. And its almost half teh price here. In the US its about 40$ less i think.

So I have been tasked to build 3 brand new rigs. One gaming, one silent, and one mini.

I was wondering if someone could help with choices to achieve the best case in their catagories.

Gaming - H440

Silent - Define R5

Mini - Prodigy M vs Air 240?

For the gaming system and silent one, I am pretty sure these cases will work perfectly. But I am stuck on the mini. Which mini case is better?

Or Enthoo Pro for gaming. 

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Have you looked at the Fractal Design Define Mini or the Arc Mini R2

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Or Enthoo Pro for gaming. 

The gaming rig will be built with white components to match, and don't think the Pro has a white option. Could plasti dip it, but that would be over their budget.

Have you looked at the Fractal Design Define Mini or the Arc Mini R2

Too big for the mini rig, needs to be quite portable. Or am I wrong and are they similar in size to the prodigy and air?

I wouldn't really consider the H440 'gaming'. If anything the R5 has more flexibility and better airflow for a high power system. Maybe a Corsair 450D/Enthoo Pro can fit that gaming category a lot better.

For mini you went ahead with the biggest small form factor cases there are out there. For mini get a nice mini ITX case; Node 304 for 'cube like', RVZ01 for slim, Cubitek Mini Cube for small footprint, Lian Li TU100B for portable. 

The gaming rig will be built with white components to match, and don't think the Pro has a white option. Could plasti dip it, but that would be over their budget.

Too big for the mini rig, needs to be quite portable. Or am I wrong and are they similar in size to the prodigy and air?

I believe it does http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854005 H440 can be in the silent as well.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

They're around 16" tall, just the tiniest bit bigger than the air 240.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

I wouldn't really consider the H440 'gaming'. If anything the R5 has more flexibility and better airflow for a high power system. Maybe a Corsair 450D/Enthoo Pro can fit that gaming category a lot better.

For mini you went ahead with the biggest small form factor cases there are out there. For mini get a nice mini ITX case; Node 304 for 'cube like', RVZ01 for slim, Cubitek Mini Cube for small footprint, Lian Li TU100B for portable. 

I could convince them for a non white build, as the 450D does look very nice.

Unfortunately, the mini build has mobo, ram, and psu already bought and sent to me. The mobo is mATX :(

I believe it does http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854005 H440 can be in the silent as well.

Oh wow, looks like that case will work perfectly then. Thanks!

They're around 16" tall, just the tiniest bit bigger than the air 240.

Something about the cube like form factor of the air 240 seems smaller. Will looking into the define mini. What about the prodigy M, good case?

For gaming case I prefer the look and make of the Thermaltake Chaser MK-I. I use that case and although it is a full tower it has lots of fan options and easy snap and click for storage. Features a headset rack as well. It has leds for those people that are into it. Its easy to take apart and clean. I love the way it looks. It has filters for the fans. Very nice setup and Its big enough for 4 cards in sli. Overall I give it a 4.5 out of 5 with the only negative is that if you pick it up wrong you could end up pulling off the top of the tower so handle it from the frame. Everything snaps out and snaps back in. Very easy and friendly pc case for gamers.

Edit: I did not see that it needed to be white.

May I suggest the NZXT Phantom 820

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

For gaming case I prefer the look and make of the Thermaltake Chaser MK-I. I use that case and although it is a full tower it has lots of fan options and easy snap and click for storage. Features a headset rack as well. It has leds for those people that are into it. Its easy to take apart and clean. I love the way it looks. It has filters for the fans. Very nice setup and Its big enough for 4 cards in sli. Overall I give it a 4.5 out of 5 with the only negative is that if you pick it up wrong you could end up pulling off the top of the tower so handle it from the frame. Everything snaps out and snaps back in. Very easy and friendly pc case for gamers.

Edit: I did not see that it needed to be white.

May I suggest the NZXT Phantom 820

Nice case, but the $260 price tag seems a little much. I think the enthroo pro will work perfectly.

"mini"... Just sayin that the Prodigy M was bigger than my ATX cases and the cable management was horrible.

EDIT: @kberes, what do you plan to fit in them? Do you plan multicard setup? AC or WC(custom or AIO?)?

Micro board, H80i AiO, gtx 970, standard atx psu.

Nice case, but the $260 price tag seems a little much. I think the enthroo pro will work perfectly.

Yeah, I agree. Good choice with Enthoo Pro case.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Do you plan on SLI later?

Are you recycling parts?

SLI is unlikely, probably an upgrade to whatever comes after the 9xx series. They really aren't tech savvy and so dealing with SLI is probably not a good idea. A few pieces were sent to me, like the mobo which is mATX.

I could convince them for a non white build, as the 450D does look very nice.

Unfortunately, the mini build has mobo, ram, and psu already bought and sent to me. The mobo is mATX :(

Then the white Enthoo Pro it is ;)

I didn't know you had mATX restrictions; There is not really that much for very small cases. You are in the US, so I think you can't really get cases like the Parvum S2.0. I think there is only one choice left... the Silverstone FT03; It supports 120mm AiOs, mATX boards and standard ATX PSUs, as well as long GPUs. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163176 It's small and very well designed.

Oh, then If you already have the mb nvm... (I was going to suggest the Ncase M1 :P)

Anyway, In your original list I'd take the R5, bc of the awesome features and IMHO look better :P

I know, probably the hardest part of the build was the recycled parts I have to deal with. Thanks for your input! The R5 is a beautiful case, and will be choosing it for the silent build.

Then the white Enthoo Pro it is ;)

I didn't know you had mATX restrictions; There is not really that much for very small cases. You are in the US, so I think you can't really get cases like the Parvum S2.0. I think there is only one choice left... the Silverstone FT03; It supports 120mm AiOs, mATX boards and standard ATX PSUs, as well as long GPUs. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163176 It's small and very well designed.

The Enthoo looks really good, am excited to build in it. As for the mATX build, it is unfortunate but I will have to deal with the restriction. Thanks for the suggestion, sold out ATM but the case actually looks really good.

The Enthoo looks really good, am excited to build in it. As for the mATX build, it is unfortunate but I will have to deal with the restriction. Thanks for the suggestion, sold out ATM but the case actually looks really good.

TigerDirect has it in stock http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7246657 It's an expensive case, but it's built like a tank using full aluminium.

Oh wow, looks like that case will work perfectly then. Thanks!

Something about the cube like form factor of the air 240 seems smaller. Will looking into the define mini. What about the prodigy M, good case?

the prodigy for itx is good th M is just horrible. I had scratches from everything on my hands because managing anything in there is a pain in the ass.

if you do build in there just put everything in WITH the cables and the PSU as the last part. if youve got a modular psu of course.

thought about the fractal node 804?

Main Rig:

-
CPU: i7-2600k @4.8 GHz - CPU cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD: Western Digital Green 1tb - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi r2 -

Obsidian 250D Build Log

Wisdom: You don't live longer if you're always in a hurry

the prodigy for itx is good th M is just horrible. I had scratches from everything on my hands because managing anything in there is a pain in the ass.

if you do build in there just put everything in WITH the cables and the PSU as the last part. if youve got a modular psu of course.

thought about the fractal node 804?

The node is a little too big, and the form factor seems like it would be hard to move around.

Xigmatek Aquila? Looks better imo than the silverstone, might be a bit bigger but has quite sturdy handles as far as i know. And its almost half teh price here. In the US its about 40$ less i think.

Main Rig:

-
CPU: i7-2600k @4.8 GHz - CPU cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD: Western Digital Green 1tb - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi r2 -

Obsidian 250D Build Log

That is a nice case, and will run both of them over with the client. Although I will be pushing for the silverstone as it looks really nice.

That is a nice case, and will run both of them over with the client. Although I will be pushing for the silverstone as it looks really nice.

Nice choice ;)

Are we going to see buildlogs? :D

Main Rig:

-

Obsidian 250D Build Log

Nice choice ;)

Are we going to see buildlogs? :D

I would love to do some, but it really depends on my schedule. Been busy lately as leaving for basic in a few months, so trying to get all my piled up builds for clients done. It does sound like a fun idea, but we will see. Thank for your help btw, really appreciate it!

I would love to do some, but it really depends on my schedule. Been busy lately as leaving for basic in a few months, so trying to get all my piled up builds for clients done. It does sound like a fun idea, but we will see. Thank for your help btw, really appreciate it!

NP Youre welcome ;) After all thats what this forum shuld be about :D

Merry Christmas btw im going to sleep its 3am here :blink:

Main Rig:

-

Obsidian 250D Build Log