5820k vs. 4790k Which one?

A comparison chart of the 4790K vs 5820K over at Anandtech - you might be surprised...

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1260?vs=1320

As several people already said, the difference in the end won't come down to only $50, imo not worth it.

CPU: i7 4790K @ 4.7GHz | Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower Max AC | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400MHz | GPU: MSI GTX980 Gaming 4G TwinFrozr V | Case: NZXT Switch 810 SE | Cooler: Corsair H105 Hydro |

SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Storage: WD Caviar Black 3TB | Displays: Samsung P2450 & Samsung 2232GW | Keyboard: Tesoro Colada G3NL Black Aluminum (Cherry MX Brown)

A comparison chart of the 4790K vs 5820K over at Anandtech - you might be surprised...

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1260?vs=1320

As several people already said, the difference in the end won't come down to only $50, imo not worth it.

please use a different avatar i have been using this one for ages, thanks.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I have 5820 OC to 4.4 GHZ 1.225 Volts. - I recommend it 

|| MOBO: ASUS - X99 A || CPU: INTEL I7-5820K 3.3 GHZ OC'D TO 4.5 GHZ 1.250 VOLTS ||

|| GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0 4GB || RAM: ADATA XPG Z1 4GB DDR4 2400 MHZ ||

|| PSU:  EVGA SUPERNOVA NEX750B 750WATT || OS: WINDOWS 8.1 64-BIT ||

If you're just gaming there is no raisin to go for the X99 platform over Z97.  Even in terms of productivity you only net a small gain going with the 5820K (small is "relative" to the specific workload in question) over something like the 4790K, and DDR4 performance still isn't largely impressive over the likes of DDR3 (largely it's all about reduced power consumption and larger densities at the time of writing this).  I'd go Z97 for the 4790K at the very most... and even then for purely gaming scenarios the 4790K is a tad overkill, though it's more relevant now than even earlier this year.

To some of you this may sound silly but DDR4 is the next memory for the Broadwell chips when they come out next year. The cost of DDR4 ram is high right now. If the buyer is planning on upgrading to the next platform (Broadwell) the investment may be worth it in the short term. The 5920K has been seen for $300 in the wild. What I have been hoping both Intel and AMD do is integrate the onboard graphics on the CPU's into a dual GPU solution with discrete graphics cards. 4k gaming is the next evolution and it requires serious graphics horsepower. I have seen software versions linking the integrated graphics with the GPU with 50%+ increases in performance.

If you're just gaming there is no raisin to go for the X99 platform over Z97.  Even in terms of productivity you only net a small gain going with the 5820K (small is "relative" to the specific workload in question) over something like the 4790K, and DDR4 performance still isn't largely impressive over the likes of DDR3 (largely it's all about reduced power consumption and larger densities at the time of writing this).  I'd go Z97 for the 4790K at the very most... and even then for purely gaming scenarios the 4790K is a tad overkill, though it's more relevant now than even earlier this year.

mmm...i love raisins 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Not worth the extra from a gaming point of view 

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Chassis/Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Deluxe RAM:  Team Vulcan 2x4Gb(2133Mhz)  Video Card: Asus 7970 Direct CU II Custom Rom (150% Power, 1100 core 6Ghz Memory)  Power Supply: Fractal Integra R2 750 Watt  Keyboard: Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid (MX Blue Switches)  MouseCorsair M90 Storage: SX900 128Gb, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM, WD Green 1TB 7200RPM   MY OLD BUILDLOG

The Fastest 8350 @5.33Ghz with a score of 9.16pts in Cinebench 11.5

I will be gaming and probably going to get a gtx 980.

But which one should i get?  and i would like the pc to last 5 years plus.

is the extra like $50 worth for the 2 extra cores or is it worth it for the for the higher clock speed?

You will be gaming. I don't see the point of a i7 5820K or the DDR4. Or the X99 mobo. Or the whole build.. Except for the 980 that's the only reasonable component you chose, but unless you're running a normal 1080p monitor the 980 would be a heck of an overkill to any games at ultra. You want it to last 5 years plus here's my suggestion, get a normal mobo, the i7 4790K since you got the money and just a normal DDR3 ram. They don't benefit much in games, but if you're a serious content creator who edits videos, make 3D shit or something, I don't see why not. But if you're just gaming, no.

Edit: For such a high end build. What monitor are you running? G-Sync? 4K? 4K G-Sync?

DDR4 is expensive, but the new asrock x99 pro 3 is just 190$

damn! nice!

Enthoo Primo - ASUS Maximus Formula VII - 4790k 4.8ghz 1.28v - EK Supremacy Evo Clean - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical - 1000w EVGA Supernova Gold - 2x Alphacool Monsta Rads in push/pull - 2x Galaxy 780 HoF with EK waterblock

Build Log http://imgur.com/a/UV6Wh Just want to warn everyone, my build log is pretty mediocre.

beat ya to it :D but they're both haswell based so they will overclock the same so long as cooling isn't a factor, its kind of like saying a pentium-k is better than a 4690k because it'll overclock higher.

dinky little chips overclock balls-to-the-walls because of the low power draw and thermals aren't going to be a factor,but seeing as the 2011 spec is more expensive anyhow a bit more on cooling can be spent without hurting the bang/buck ratio, yes its overkill as is 16gb of ram so technically from the what you pay for/what you need perspective its a bad idea but if we all followed that idea we'd have much lower spec'd rigs as a general rule, everyone knows an i7 is pointless over an i5 for gaming, " oh but i do some rendering aswell and need the threads" well get 2011 then, the question answers itself.

I loved my phenoms they were bad-ass so going to an fx8 makes little sense untill it comes to those few times i transcode and there is is a 100% improvement for the sake of £40. my 0.02c

Thing is a 4790K doesn't need anything better than an evo 212 because max cooling capacity actually just means nothing, more about the dissipation technique that's about it like a pump will be better than heatpipes - contactbase design - mounting kit how tight the fit is etc. On a 5820K you're not getting far with an evo 212, I guess you'd be hitting almost the Tjmax on 4GHz. To get proper overclocks out of a 5820K you'll be looking at 100$ coolers so another 70$.

The 4790K over the 4690K makes less sense than a 5820K > 4790K. I just don't see the point of the 4790K which relies on Hyperthreading making a difference to justify the extra price over the i5 which doesn't always happen. If a single thread could keep all of your execution resources busy at the same time, have 25Way Hyperthreading it won't make any difference. So the extra 2 cores are making a lot more sense than Hyperthreading there. Sadly you almost never can do that with a single thread.

its a 4960x with 5% better IPC and 5% worse overclocking but for 33% of the price.

The difference between a 3770K & 4770K was up to 20%, with AVX2 which Ivy doesnt have it goes all the way up to 100%. Can link you the benches if youre interested. Worse overclocking is harsh though, Ivy bridge-E were horrible overclockers. Most of them capped at 4.5GHz and most SB-E's were hitting 4.6-4.7GHz if you were sticking below 1.40-1.45V.

@Op I would just strongly suggest to go with a 4690K and push that money you saved into a 2nd GPU. I bought my 3930K 3 or 4 years ago and I still don't see the point of 6 cores vs 4 in games and hyperthreading is bs as well.

Anyone who thinks a i7-4790k is going to last 5 years is out of their mind. That shit will be dated by Skylake in 2015. Mainstream platforms don't have a very long lifespan that's why they're cheap. In 5 years games will be chewing up any amount of cores that they can get. Truth be told even the i7-5820k will be dated in a 5 year time frame as well. Tho it will hold its ground for a lot longer at a premium. In 5 years a i7-4790k is going to look like Bloomfield today. If you can easily afford it go for it but if money's tight I would get the i7-4790k. Or like said you could aim towards a second GPU or even go SLI GTX 970's along with the i5-4690k. It's hard to expect 5 years out of hardware that's just an unreasonable expectation in the PC gaming market.

Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($114.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($329.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($329.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1054.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-25 01:13 EST-0500

Or you could go with the single GTX 980 which gives you room for an upgrade in the future.

Honestly, wait for Skylake in 2015. It'll come out with mainstream DDR4 support and by then the motherboards will be LGA1151. LGA1150 is outdated already which is exactly why I held off on the 4790K for my main compie. 

Core i7 2700K Oc'ed 4.4 Ghz, EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 SC'ed, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, 240 GB Intel 730 SSD and 2 TB 7200 RPM HDD, Zalman Z9 plus case with 7 blue LED fans, Windows 10 Preview 

Honestly, wait for Skylake in 2015. It'll come out with mainstream DDR4 support and by then the motherboards will be LGA1151. LGA1150 is outdated already which is exactly why I held off on the 4790K for my main compie. 

I honestly don't get what is this obsession with Skylake, same thing was with Devil's Canyon before and with Haswell, etc. Yes, it's made on the 14nm manufacturing process and yes, it has full DDR4 support on the mainstream, but that's basically it so far desktop users are concerned. The Skylake chips that are being launched in Q3 of 2015 are for mobile only! Why? Because Skylake will dramatically increase the performance of the integrated GPUs and keep at a much lower TDP. The actual performance increase of the CPU is expected to be around 5-10%, best case scenario... Also, desktop unlocked Skylake processors come in Q1 of 2016!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

I allways thought ddr4 has stability problems?

I recently built a powerful editing rig and used the 4790K because of that.

who cares...

I honestly don't get what is this obsession with Skylake, same thing was with Devil's Canyon before and with Haswell, etc. Yes, it's made on the 14nm manufacturing process and yes, it has full DDR4 support on the mainstream, but that's basically it so far desktop users are concerned. The Skylake chips that are being launched in Q3 of 2015 are for mobile only! Why? Because Skylake will dramatically increase the performance of the integrated GPUs and keep at a much lower TDP. The actual performance increase of the CPU is expected to be around 5-10%, best case scenario... Also, desktop unlocked Skylake processors come in Q1 of 2016!

i think is boardwell. going in to mobile.

skylake is probabbly 2016.

so no point waiting guys buy now woot woot

If you've got the money to spend the extra $50 + more, then DO IT!!!

You'll have the newest computer tech. Let that sink in for a minute. You'll BE THE COOLEST PERSON ON YOUR BLOCK. Hands down :-)

I will be gaming and probably going to get a gtx 980.

But which one should i get?  and i would like the pc to last 5 years plus.

is the extra like $50 worth for the 2 extra cores or is it worth it for the for the higher clock speed?

For future proofing, yes. Games today may not leverage all dem cores but games tomorrow may thanks to mantle and directx12.

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

i think is boardwell. going in to mobile.

skylake is probabbly 2016.

Nope, both are. Broadwell is expected sooner though. Skylake mobile processors are expected to launch somewhere between the end of August and mid October.  

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Nope, both are. Broadwell is expected sooner though. Skylake mobile processors are expected to launch somewhere between the end of August and mid October.  

so in like 8months. skylake is replacing boardwell already? in desktop as well?

Broadwell is only a "tick" in Intel's release cycle. It's nothing more than Devils Canyon on 14nm with a stronger iGPU. Once Skylake debuts it would be about a year since Intel made any improvements to their CPU architecture. This is why most of us will recommend buying now than waiting for Broadwell. Besides it will save you the hassle of having to flash a Z97 board to support the new microprocessors. The only reason to wait for Broadwell is if you're planning on running off the iGPU. In which case nobody here is looking to do.

In 8 months is the mobile. In Q1 of 2016 comes Skylake desktop.

This,

Skylake will be just another MS platform upgrade with no sense lol.

As long as intel does not get much of competition in the MS market, they can sit on theire lazy asses and do nohing.

They wont bring any 6 or 8 core 5.0Ghz cpu´s to ms platform any soon, because they dont have too.

The only thing you pay for is marketing BS.

5820k is more expensiv but if you can aford it i think you shoud buy it

why?

For gaming, it doesnt gonne make any sense.

Unless op is doing allot of productivity stuff, then  X99 makes sense.