New build 4790k Temps

bhalsne
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

Yup your temps are perfectly fine. Just never use prime 95. IETU is perfect.

I just finished my new build and just want to verify my temps are withing spec.  All my research says that they are, but I always like a second opinion.

Intel 4790K with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus. I have not overclocked and most likely will not.

Currently I am at 1 hour 15 minutes of the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and my temp has hovered around 60c the whole time (max was 63).  At idle it I am generally around 25-30.

Tried running Prime95 and that was a scary experience when it jumped up to almost 90c, then found the recommendation of the IETU on these forums.  Just hope I didn't do any permanent damage.

I can already tell a difference from my old AMD 980 Black Edition machine.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

post-171306-0-01010000-1419008054_thumb.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I just finished my new build and just want to verify my temps are withing spec.  All my research says that they are, but I always like a second opinion.

Intel 4790K with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus. I have not overclocked and most likely will not.

Currently I am at 1 hour 15 minutes of the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and my temp has hovered around 60c the whole time (max was 63).  At idle it I am generally around 25-30.

Tried running Prime95 and that was a scary experience when it jumped up to almost 90c, then found the recommendation of the IETU on these forums.  Just hope I didn't do any permanent damage.

I can already tell a difference from my old AMD 980 Black Edition machine.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Those temps are really good Prime95 brought my temps up to 85c (H100i cooling my 4790K) when I was first testing it. If your happy with the clock speed under volt the cpu (this reduced my temps by 5c under load).

Quantum Chaos: i7 6850K | 2x Strix 1080Ti SLI | MSI X99 SLI Krait | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB | 3TB WD Red RAID 1

90 is much too high for a desktop chip. Would make sure your fan curves are right and thermal paste is ok. Those idle temps are OK though and 60 under load is good. Did you OC it? The 212 EVO provides a little bit of thermal headroom but not a ton. Bumping voltage more than a little bit will push it beyond it's ability to cool it with a single fan. It is still a single tower heatsink.

Does Prime95 stress it abnormaly? On my FX-8320 under the same cooler, I barely touch 65.

Does Prime95 stress it abnormaly? On my FX-8320 under the same cooler, I barely touch 65.

Yes, it causes intel CPUs to overvolt themselves past safe limits, causing extremely high temperatures that are otherwise impossible to achieve with any other stress test/program.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Thanks everyone, that is kind of what my thought was.  I really have no desire to overclock at the moment, as this will handle whatever I might throw at it for now.

I am just glad I stumbled across a previous post on these forums that pointed me away from prime95 and towards IETU.  Now I will just let that finish running and then continue on to the rest of my program installs.

Thanks again.

Thanks everyone, that is kind of what my thought was.  I really have no desire to overclock at the moment, as this will handle whatever I might throw at it for now.

I am just glad I stumbled across a previous post on these forums that pointed me away from prime95 and towards IETU.  Now I will just let that finish running and then continue on to the rest of my program installs.

Thanks again.

You're welcme :)

Spoiler