Should I get 212 Evo now and then upgrade or a H100i now.

altname

Hi there,

I'm building a new pc with a 4790k and I was wondering which would be better for my needs. I don't plan to overclock right now as the stock is more than enough but I may in the future.

Is it better to just get a mid range cooler like the 212 evo and then upgrade to a better cooler later when I do overclock. Or should I just get a watercooler now and "save" the $30 spent on the mid range one.

I'm not necessarily asking about these parts specifically but more of the better mentaiity when it comes to upgrading and choosing parts. Should I buy the lower end now and upgrade later or just pay more for the better solution now.

Thanks.

If you have the money I'd just get the H100 now.

The 212 is what, 30% of the cost of the H100? Plus if you do buy the 212 you'll just have a part laying around you won't be using.

Water pumps also aren't something that will really see a decrease in price, so that's not something that needs to be taken into account.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I would go with a water cooler now. Don't get the H100i though. It has been known to have mounting problems, a loud pump, and buggy corsair link software. For those it works for, it works great, but I see far too many people complaining about one thing or the other with this AIO. There are other options that cost roughly the same without mounting problems.

Cooler Master, NZXT, Fractal Design, Corsair H105. Just make sure whatever you get fits in your case.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I would go with a water cooler now. Don't get the H100i though. It has been known to have mounting problems, a loud pump, and buggy corsair link software. For those it works for, it works great, but I see far too many people complaining about one thing or the other with this AIO. There are other options that cost roughly the same without mounting problems.

Cooler Master, NZXT, Fractal Design, Corsair H105. Just make sure whatever you get fits in your case.

I did some looking up. I am getting an fractal r4 case and an asus hero vii, do you know is the h105 would I have mounting issues with the mobo+case since I've seen some problems with the h105 and r4 that depends on the mobo.

I did some looking up. I am getting an fractal r4 case and an asus hero vii, do you know is the h105 would I have mounting issues with the mobo+case since I've seen some problems with the h105 and r4 that depends on the mobo.

Might I recommend a different motherboard and case?

The RoG "gaming" series motherboards are a waste of money unless you are absolutely in love with their aesthetic.  You can get the same core features for much less.  Check out the Asus Z97-AR if you want to save $50+.

For case, check out the Phanteks Enthoo Pro or Luxe.  Its a lot more case for the same amount of money.

Lastly, you could go with a different AIO.  The Cooler Master Nepton 240M is incredible, so is the Nepton 280L, and NZXT X61.  There is also a brand new one from Fractal called the Kelvin S24.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Get the all mighty 212, I've been lead to believe it is the best thing since sliced bread!  ;)  :P

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd