Building a post production beast, looking for review&advice.

Jacob32

Case: phantom 820

Cooling: two kraken x61

64gb ram - to start expand to 256gb

Three 2 tb hardrives

Two xeon e5 family

Video card nvidia quadro fx3800 to start, when it fails two k6000

My question is will Z10PE-D8 WS motherboard fit? Nzxt website says no, and phantom 820 manual says yes.

What do you think?

First of all. WTF WHY DO YOU NEED 256GB OF RAM? 64 is already enough (32gb per CPU)

I cant really answer your question xD 

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

I was

First of all. WTF WHY DO YOU NEED 256GB OF RAM? 64 is already enough (32gb per CPU)

I cant really answer your question xD

I was thinking 64gb for the first year, if it slows down keep adding, im going to be ediiting 4k and 6k video

Contact their support and ask them

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

Contact their support and ask them

I did, they are unsure, they said no, then yes when i pointed out the manual, then they said we cant recomend, it was an odd conversation

i'm not really sure; but the Phanteks Enthoo Luxe and Silverstone Raven support SSI EEB motherboards.

the problem is that i already have the phantom

Yes, the phantom 820 will fit a SSI EEB motherboard. If you go onto Newegg and look at the photos of the gunmetal one and zoom way into the picture of the inside of the case, there are fitting labeled for that size motherboard. It's hard to read, but it says it in there undoubtedly. 

Edit: here is a screenshot of that. https://i.imgur.com/Nrl1foE.jpg

What is their max ram?

You mean the motherboard? Well, the Asus Z10PE-D16 WS is a 2011-3 EEB motherboard that supports up to '1024GB' of DDR4 ram. It has 16 memory slots so considering what's available for consumers today the correct max amount is 256GB (16x16GB). It uses Xeon CPUs from the E5 2600 V3 family. More info here http://www.asus.com/Commercial_Servers_Workstations/Z10PED16_WS/

Tiny Tom Logan from OC3D has a very nice review of this motherboard, you should check it out. https://www.youtube.cm/watch?v=APQGE3nCOO8 wrong link

Yes, the phantom 820 will fit a SSI EEB motherboard. If you go onto Newegg and look at the photos of the gunmetal one and zoom way into the picture of the inside of the case, there are fitting labeled for that size motherboard. It's hard to read, but it says it in there undoubtedly.

Will that be a problem to put those two together?

You might want to look at Server Cases rather than Consumer cases.

The problem is i already have received the phantom

Will that be a problem to put those two together?

You will be able to put that motherboard in that case. Things might be a little cramped, and you might have to remove drive cages or something, but it'll fit.

Which Xeons?  (panting in anticipation)

The current build I am working on is using a mere 5960X.  I am soooo jealous

You will be able to put that motherboard in that case. Things might be a little cramped, and you might have to remove drive cages or something, but it'll fit.

Will it cause any harm for future performance?

Which Xeons?  (panting in anticipation)

The current build I am working on is using a mere 5960X.  I am soooo jealous

I was thinking 2650v3

Will it cause any harm for future performance?

It shouldn't. Like I said, you might have to remove drive cages to fit it in, so you might not be able to fill the case with drives. But if that is the case, you could always just use an external enclosure. 

It shouldn't. Like I said, you might have to remove drive cages to fit it in, so you might not be able to fill the case with drives. But if that is the case, you could always just use an external enclosure.

Am i better off getting another board?

Officially jealous - that will be a beast, over $2,300 just for the CPU's but what a machine!

Are you running the hard drives in RAID (5?).  3x 2TB drives in RAID5 gives you 4TB of storage.  For just a little more you could run 2x 4TB in RAID0 and save some room.

Am i better off getting another board?

Well pretty much all dual CPU boards will be that same size. The only other dual CPU boards I know of are really weird sizes and require special cases. Like this one: http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X10DRT-H.cfm That motherboard can only go into certain server cases made by Super Micro. Your only other option would be to get a larger case. Something like a Corsair 900D will fit the board you are looking at with room to spare, easily.

Officially jealous - that will be a beast, over $2,300 just for the CPU's but what a machine!

Are you running the hard drives in RAID (5?).  3x 2TB drives in RAID5 gives you 4TB of storage.  For just a little more you could run 2x 4TB in RAID0 and save some room.

I run a 5 raid on another machine, it wont be needed for this system

I'd reduce to 2 drives then.  You can do 2x 3TB (same storage) or 2x 4TB and have quite a bit more.

Either way I don't see a reason to have the extra drive around, especially if you are concerned about fitting things in the case.  You save a little on power, but it will be a drop in the bucket compared to the dual Xeons and the GPU.

• 1 year later...

Hi Jacob32 !

I'm in the same situation ! I have a Mother Board z10pe-d16 ws and I would like to know if it fits well in the NZXT Phantom 820 ?

As you said, the manual says yes :

2016-02-2111.00.18.jpg

But in practice do you have to remove the drive cages or something ?