Samsung PCIe SSD for ultrabooks do read speeds up to 1.4GB/s!

Samsung-PCIe-SSD-XP941-M.2-form-factor.j

Samsung announced they started mass production of the first PCIe based solid state disks for ultrabooks named the XP941 series with read speeds of up to 1.4GB/s, The lineup will consists of 512,256 and 128GB SSDs

"With the Samsung XP941, we have become the first to provide the highest performance PCIe SSD to global PC makers so that they can launch leading-edge ultra-slim notebook PCs this year," said Young-Hyun Jun, executive vice president, memory sales & marketing, Samsung Electronics. "Samsung plans to continue timely delivery of the most advanced PCIe SSD solutions with higher density and performance, and support global IT companies providing an extremely robust computing environment to consumers."

The new Samsung XP941 delivers a level of performance that easily surpasses the speed limit of a SATA 6Gb/s interface. Samsung XP941 enables a sequential read performance of 1,400MB/s (megabytes per second), which is the highest performance available with a PCIe 2.0 interface. This allows the drive to read 500GB of data or 100 HD movies as large as 5GB (gigabytes) in only six minutes, or 10 HD movies at 5GB in 36 seconds. That is approximately seven times faster than a hard disk drive (which would need over 40 minutes for the same task), and more than 2.5 times faster than the fastest SATA SSD.

The XP941 comes in a new form factor weighing approximately 6g - about 1/9 of 2.5" SATA based SSDs and 1/7x the size. Samsung intends to expand it's production for PCIe notebook SSDs and plans to introduce next generation enterprise NVMe SSDs in a timely manner to also take the lead in that high-density SSD market.

Source: http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/samsung_pcie_ssd_for_ultrabooks_do_read_speeds_up_to_1_4gbs.html

I personally think as high as these performance numbers are, sequential speeds don't really matter that much IRL but since you aren't using most PCIe lanes in most notebooks anyway, they might as well use it to remove bottlenecks due to SATA 3. That said it really depends on how they intend to price it.

if there cheap enough i'll get one :D also doesnt the new mac pro only get 1.2?

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Classic case of Samsung holding the best flash for themselves I reckon. "Let's sell the 1.2GB/s stuff to Apple for their mac pro and macbook air, then release an almost identical product capable of 1.4GB/s straight after WWDC" :P

Classic case of Samsung holding the best flash for themselves I reckon. "Let's sell the 1.2GB/s stuff to Apple for their mac pro and macbook air, then release an almost identical product capable of 1.4GB/s straight after WWDC" :P

well Apple has been screwing them over :|

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

well Apple has been screwing them over :|

Yeah exactly, they deserve this tbh. Whilst the numbers are somewhat irrelevant, this at least means that all the Apple fanboys can't spout that their macs have PCIe SSDs that are faster than anything available from the competition :D

TBH I'm slightly (just slightly) surprised Apple bought from them at all considering how they were trying to completely stop using Samsung parts (considering past Apple devices were mostly made from Samsung parts, from displays to SOCs).

Nice, good to have some more companies manufacturing these. Some more competition will mean prices will fall.

Fractal Design Define R4 | Intel i7-4770K | Corsair H80i | Corsair SP120 PWM | MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro | MSI GTX770 GAMING | Samsung 840EVO 120GB | 2x WD Red 2TB | Corsair AX760 | Windows 8 Pro

Nice, good to have some more companies manufacturing these. Some more competition will mean prices will fall.

This is the only company manufacturing these so far... if you mean SSDs in general, Samsung has been producing them for years.

http://ocz.com/consumer/pci-express-ssd

@Nicktrance You can buy them now on overclockers, made by OCZ.

Fractal Design Define R4 | Intel i7-4770K | Corsair H80i | Corsair SP120 PWM | MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro | MSI GTX770 GAMING | Samsung 840EVO 120GB | 2x WD Red 2TB | Corsair AX760 | Windows 8 Pro

Sure but these are made for a different market, they don't use standard PCIe slots and will probably only be available through OEM partners so they probably won't affect pricing of each other much.

Those are full-sized PCIe SSDs. Good luck fitting those into a laptop :P

Having said that, a lot of companies make mSATA SSDs which are very similar if much slower. Samsung is the only company making this particular kind of SSD, using that particular kind of interface, capable of those particular speeds.

we can finaly upgrade our skinny laptops without breaking the bank

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

Those are full-sized PCIe SSDs. Good luck fitting those into a laptop :P

Laptop PCIe slots are typically angled 90 degrees, like the 2nd pre-populated (with Wi-Fi) PCIe slot on the Asus M-ITX boards and certain other M-ITX boards.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Laptop PCIe slots are typically angled 90 degrees, like the 2nd pre-populated (with Wi-Fi) PCIe slot on the Asus M-ITX boards and certain other M-ITX boards.

Those are mini-PCIe, and are incompatible with standard PCIe. Mini-PCIe looks just like mSATA but those two are also incompatible.

TBH I'm slightly (just slightly) surprised Apple bought from them at all considering how they were trying to completely stop using Samsung parts (considering past Apple devices were mostly made from Samsung parts, from displays to SOCs).

Well Samsung do make the majority of the world's flash I think. I don't think Apple had much of a choice XD

I think Apples speeds are limited by the lci-e interface they're using. At least for the Airs, they only use 2xpci-e 2.0, which tops out at about 1GB/s