silicene the future of electronics

qwertywarrior

i was reading a magazine about 10 materials that will shape out future

i knew most of them except number 1

silicene

im sure you guys have heard of Graphene the super conductor at room temprature

at first u think  oh a super conductor which means no heat ! 100GHZ cpu at last !!

but no sadly no

a cpu talks in binary AKA 10101   which basically means on and off

a graphene cpu does  very badly with on and off so its a no go

untill they solve the badgap problem

EDIT it got solved in Feb but the advantages of Silicene still holds true

here is quote from IBM

"IBM has revealed that graphene can't fully replace silicon inside CPUs, as a graphene transistor can't actually be completely switched off. In an interview, Yu-Ming Lin from IBM Research (Nanometer Scale Science and Technology) explained that 'graphene as it is will not replace the role of silicon in the digital computing regime.' Last year, IBM demonstrated a graphene transistor running at 100GHz, while researchers at UCLA produced a graphene transistor with a cut-off frequency of 300GHz, prompting predictions of silicon marching towards its demise, making way for a graphene-based future with 1THz CPUs. However, Lin says, 'there is an important distinction between the graphene transistors that we demonstrated and the transistors used in a CPU. Unlike silicon, graphene does not have an energy gap, and therefore, graphene cannot be "switched off," resulting in a small on/off ratio.' That said, Lin also pointed out that graphene 'may complement silicon in the form of a hybrid circuit to enrich the functionality of computer chips.' He gives the example of RF circuits, which aren't dependent on a large on/off ratio."

Silicene is more exciting than graphene because, technically, it should be compatible with silicon-based electronics and the huge, existing semiconductor fabrication processes. which is a big plus because it wont require a huge amount of investment like starting from 0

ill leave you with a quote from Paul S. Otellini

In 2009 Intel CEO Paul S. Otellini has been quoted as saying that silicon is in its last decade as the base material of the CPU.

here is a great website to learn more

http://www.silicene.com/

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

wow that was fast xD

but still as i said silicene is potentially even more exciting because it could be more easily compatible with existing silicon-based electronics, which means its benefits could be exploited quicker.

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

wow that was fast xD

but still as i said silicene is potentially even more exciting because it could be more easily compatible with existing silicon-based electronics, which means its benefits could be exploited quicker.

Yes, both are promising :)

Alll dem jiggahertz.

Bring on the increased cost, I want this in an APU on an MITX board

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

the era of jiggahertz without using jiggawatts is just beyond the horizon  

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

Alll dem jiggahertz.

Reminds me of the part in the Hangover part 1 where Chow gives them the wrong guy :P