Australia's fibre rollout is officially dead.

georgeghazi

What about those stuck with 8mbps wireless (no clue just how fast 4G is-its just fast) or dial-up?

I don't know, Unfortunately even the original FTTP NBN plan had fixed wireless as there solution to remote areas, so unless they improve 4g (or introduce 5g) I would say those with wireless will be stuck on 8Mb/s.

The theoretical top for 4G is 25Mb/s, but to be honest I can't see that many people enjoying it in reality.  Australia is just too large to justify $$$ towers that only service 50 premises. :(

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Because it's only the loud uneducated that hate him, everyone else just knows the score, we don't like some of the things he does (uni fee structures for one), but we know they have to be done.  All the ignorant people just believe what they read in the media.  And the really stupid ones believe what Abbots political opponents tell them,  It's kinda like relying on AMD for information about Intel products or believing Donald trump when he talks about obama.

What a load of crap, loud and ill-informed is a bi-partisan minority. If we want to bring this into a tech-community context it's like reading comments on a product page. Most of the comments will be 80:20 people who didn't like the product because they got a dodgy unit and people who are massive fanboys. Same thing with politics. Go and read comments on Andrew Bolt's blog from the Gillard era and tell me that all the people there were rivals to Hawking. Not to mention that people with higher levels of education tended to lean very slightly towards the "left" on the key issues at the last election. Not that I'm suggesting the reverse is true either:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-11/vote-compass-full-data-explorer/5016244

On the topic of the NBN, TBH I've kinda over it. The changes Abbott has made are more about politics and ideology than they are some sort of rescue package. Their own commissioned report into the NBN concluded that the FTTH model was viable so to say it wasn't is crap. Their conclusion was that the better approach was to maximise the short term return instead of letting some of that go to have infrastructure that would last. Which is why they went on fairly long rants about how it wasn't clear whether or not "enough people" would take up speeds beyond ~25Mbps. The NBN was a signature Labor policy, the Libs had to change something otherwise they would be conceding that Labor did something right. Whatever happens we're still moving in the right direction in that space.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

-snip-

I know that feeling man.

3988571143.png

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

I know that feeling man.

3988571143.png

How'd you get a 55Mbps upload? Aren't all 100Mbps ISP plans in New Zealand capped at 50Mbps?

3988577185.png

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

How'd you get a 55Mbps upload? Aren't all 100Mbps ISP plans in New Zealand capped at 50Mbps?

I guess I'm just lucky, I pay for 50 but get 55

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

What a load of crap, loud and ill-informed is a bi-partisan minority. If we want to bring this into a tech-community context it's like reading comments on a product page. Most of the comments will be 80:20 people who didn't like the product because they got a dodgy unit and people who are massive fanboys. Same thing with politics. Go and read comments on Andrew Bolt's blog from the Gillard era and tell me that all the people there were rivals to Hawking. Not to mention that people with higher levels of education tended to lean very slightly towards the "left" on the key issues at the last election. Not that I'm suggesting the reverse is true either:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-11/vote-compass-full-data-explorer/5016244

On the topic of the NBN, TBH I've kinda over it. The changes Abbott has made are more about politics and ideology than they are some sort of rescue package. Their own commissioned report into the NBN concluded that the FTTH model was viable so to say it wasn't is crap. Their conclusion was that the better approach was to maximise the short term return instead of letting some of that go to have infrastructure that would last. Which is why they went on fairly long rants about how it wasn't clear whether or not "enough people" would take up speeds beyond ~25Mbps. The NBN was a signature Labor policy, the Libs had to change something otherwise they would be conceding that Labor did something right. Whatever happens we're still moving in the right direction in that space.

My point is true from both sides of politics and political persuasions, and I never pretended it wasn't.   

On the NBN, It doesn't matter what abbot does or doesn't do, the NBN was not going to work anyway. If abbot made a political  mistake it was intervening in the first place, he should have let the unions, asbestos pits and crippling contractor conditions kill it first, then he wouldn't have looked so bad.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

My point is true from both sides of politics and political persuasions, and I never pretended it wasn't.  

When you say something as plain as "only the loud and uneducated hate Abbott" there's only one way to read it. No amount of back-peddling can take that back especially when you follow it up with a quick jab at the opposing party's policy. It's pretty clear what you meant and it was a load of BS.

When you say something as plain as "only the loud and uneducated hate Abbott" there's only one way to read it. No amount of back-peddling can take that back especially when you follow it up with a quick jab at the opposing party's policy. It's pretty clear what you meant and it was a load of BS.

call it backpedaling if you want.  Hatred is a strong sentiment that carries very little room for error.  SO yes I believe the only people who would have such an elevated emotion toward the PM would be uneducated and loud. A slightly opposing persuasion or a strong disagreement with is not the same as hatred.

call it backpedaling if you want.  Hatred is a strong sentiment that carries very little room for error.  SO yes I believe the only people who would have such an elevated emotion toward the PM would be uneducated and loud. A slightly opposing persuasion or a strong disagreement with is not the same as hatred.

Well you're wrong that simple. Some people are more passionate then others I guess personally I dislike him one hell of a lot and wouldn't mind seeing him die a slow painful death but I wouldn't say I hate him but I know plenty who do. Regardless of what he did with the NBN he was already pretty freaking terrible and seems to progressively get worse as time goes on.

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

Well you're wrong that simple. Some people are more passionate then others I guess personally I dislike him one hell of a lot and wouldn't mind seeing him die a slow painful death but I wouldn't say I hate him but I know plenty who do. Regardless of what he did with the NBN he was already pretty freaking terrible and seems to progressively get worse as time goes on.

I think it's pretty ignorant to hate someone based on what others tell you about them.  Maybe I'm rare, I've been following the politics of Australia for over 20 years now.  I can guarantee you that unless you watch the parliament yourself or read the transcript direct from each member then you are not getting the full story.   Yes they all lie, yes they all are corrupt,  I have yet to speak with one (and I have a few) that have earnt my respect.  But I would not say I hate them, they are a product of the system and a product of a system we constantly support.

I think it's pretty ignorant to hate someone based on what others tell you about them.  Maybe I'm rare, I've been following the politics of Australia for over 20 years now.  I can guarantee you that unless you watch the parliament yourself or read the transcript direct from each member then you are not getting the full story.   Yes they all lie, yes they all are corrupt,  I have yet to speak with one (and I have a few) that have earnt my respect.  But I would not say I hate them, they are a product of the system and a product of a system we constantly support.

I don't support the system and let's be honest here the guy's hard to like he's a sexist dinosaur and has done pretty much nothing but piss people off. Even if you support his parties policies it's pretty hard not to dislike him, his a bad joke and makes Australia look bad.

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

He's as unpopular as Gillard was and wasn't even particularly liked when he was in opposition and politics is usually pretty passionate. So it's fair to say the people who profess to hate the dude, to the extend that they'd call the dude a dickhead or similar, are not all loud an uneducated. It's a sweeping statement and it's a load of BS.

That said, I don't hate the guy, hate is a strong word. I have even made a bit of habit of defending him against people who automatically make up their mind when he does stuff that I do agree with. But he is a dickhead and I'd never vote for the dude. I also think it's a bit rich to be running around protecting the guy from "haters" given how rough a deal Gillard got.

For me its being forced to vote for them, there is honestly no one that I prefer over the other, they act like kids with all of the mudslinging that has been going on.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I don't support the system and let's be honest here the guy's hard to like he's a sexist dinosaur and has done pretty much nothing but piss people off.

I think his wife and daughters might disagree with you about the sexist thing, and his chief of staff.  Alas I agree, his verbal gafs put him in league with bush.   The best thing he could do would be to shut his mouth.

He's as unpopular as Gillard was and wasn't even particularly liked when he was in opposition and politics is usually pretty passionate. So it's fair to say the people who profess to hate the dude, to the extend that they'd call the dude a dickhead or similar, are not all loud an uneducated. It's a sweeping statement and it's a load of BS.

That said, I don't hate the guy, hate is a strong word. I have even made a bit of habit of defending him against people who automatically make up their mind when he does stuff that I do agree with. But he is a dickhead and I'd never vote for the dude. I also think it's a bit rich to be running around protecting the guy from "haters" given how rough a deal Gillard got.

I don't hate gillard and I pretty much could only be as defensive of her as I could using the same rational and physical evidence I use to support Abbot. It really comes down to what we know and what supporting documents there are. For example I really am upset about the Craig Thomson and peter slipper debacle, because Gillard had the power to do the right thing by Austrians but (in My Opinion) didn't. Time has shown the evidence we had to be correct as both have been charged.  The same thing can be said about Abbot over many issues.  However I will wait until the end of his term and weigh up his performance just like I did with Gillard.

For me its being forced to vote for them, there is honestly no one that I prefer over the other, they act like kids with all of the mudslinging that has been going on.

Absolutely, and it is getting worse.  For the most I believe this is part of the 24 hour news cycle and the fact that information is too quick and easy to disseminate, which results in anyone being able to express their opinions far and wide.  The end result of this of course is that politics is becoming a PR game more than it is a governing game.   The thing I despise more than anything is the umber of politicians making formal requests to the relevant ICAC bodies to investigate political opponents.  It is just a waste of tax dollars and serve no other purpose other than to try and decimate a character without the need for evidence.

Had no hope for the project getting in my area anyway 

| Contact Information |
My Teamspeak : Austs1.gameservers.com:9334  |  Steam: Iamtictac456  |  My other aliases include Scruffy and Scruffy Biggems :)

New Zealand is just better over all. ;)

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

I don't hate gillard and I pretty much could only be as defensive of her as I could using the same rational and physical evidence I use to support Abbot. It really comes down to what we know and what supporting documents there are. For example I really am upset about the Craig Thomson and peter slipper debacle, because Gillard had the power to do the right thing by Austrians but (in My Opinion) didn't. Time has shown the evidence we had to be correct as both have been charged.  The same thing can be said about Abbot over many issues.  However I will wait until the end of his term and weigh up his performance just like I did with Gillard.

The Thomson and Slipper crap was gossip fodder, it made no difference to what these guys are actually there to do. Craig Thomson was a joke and they should have kicked him out well before they did but in the end they did the right thing and expelled him from the party. Slipper was equally a Liberal Party problem, they both have crap on their face on that one. Plus on both counts it was gutter politics instigated by the Liberal Party in order to try and topple the government. Lets not forget that Slipper was a pretty senior member of the Liberal Party before he left the party and became speaker.

The difference with Abbott is that there are no scandals at all and people still really dislike the guy. Because of policy decisions, including the dismantling of the NBN.

wut....

Tony Abbott's priorities.....

'OH, LET'S SPEND TENS OF BILLIONS ON THESE USELESS FIGHTER JETS!!! HMMM, WE DON'T SEEM TO HAVE ENOUGH MONEY...I KNOW!! WE CAN AXE ESSENTIAL HEALTHCARE SERVICES!!!! AND WHILE WE'RE AT IT, WHY NOT CUT THE NBN??'. - Tony Abbott's deluded reasoning. I honestly think that a 13 year old could lead this country better. (Not insulting their intelligence, of course.)

They're fuking idiots. 

There, I did it for you. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

The Thomson and Slipper crap was gossip fodder, it made no difference to what these guys are actually there to do. Craig Thomson was a joke and they should have kicked him out well before they did but in the end they did the right thing and expelled him from the party. Slipper was equally a Liberal Party problem, they both have crap on their face on that one. Plus on both counts it was gutter politics instigated by the Liberal Party in order to try and topple the government. Lets not forget that Slipper was a pretty senior member of the Liberal Party before he left the party and became speaker.

The difference with Abbott is that there are no scandals at all and people still really dislike the guy. Because of policy decisions, including the dismantling of the NBN.

I think we may have interpreted some of the information differently but I agree. 

You clearly have no sense about world issues do you? China's flexing their muscles in the East China sea, Russia's on the brink of war with everyone and Indo is running out of space.

I do, but there are many other places to cut funding that will not have a big of an impact on the Australian public.

Sorry for the convoluted speech pattern.

I do, but there are many other places to cut funding that will not have a big of an impact on the Australian public.

What do you recommend they cut the funding back on? The original NBN was not forecast to pay for itself until 2040.  The deficit has blown out to $40 Billion, it will take until 2019 to see a surplus, assuming nothing gets worse.  $40 Billion is an awful lot to make back without making cuts.

What do you recommend they cut the funding back on? The original NBN was not forecast to pay for itself until 2040.  The deficit has blown out to $40 Billion, it will take until 2019 to see a surplus, assuming nothing gets worse.  $40 Billion is an awful lot to make back without making cuts.

Well, even with the point of this thread being the NBN, the NBN would be a better place to cut. Not healthcare. People are afraid to go to the doctor now, they can't afford it. Sure, high speed internet access is essential in our modern society, but I would rather the population's general health be better. 100Mbps speeds aren't worth it if many people are sick or diseased. 

Even reintroducing the mining tax would help some, but then you would need to take care not to hamstring our main industry. Honestly, there are many, many places you could cut, but please, not healthcare. 

Sorry for the convoluted speech pattern.

Well, even with the point of this thread being the NBN, the NBN would be a better place to cut. Not healthcare. People are afraid to go to the doctor now, they can't afford it. Sure, high speed internet access is essential in our modern society, but I would rather the population's general health be better. 100Mbps speeds aren't worth it if many people are sick or diseased. 

Even reintroducing the mining tax would help some, but then you would need to take care not to hamstring our main industry. Honestly, there are many, many places you could cut, but please, not healthcare. 

I can value that response. cheers.

<Snip>...I replied to a similar thread regarding NBN and Moose gave a good response, which enlightened me. I guess there are higher priority issues for this country over broadband infrastructure...</Snip>

These are the kinds of issues Moose was referring to and I completely agree with you there Hexaguy.