Overclocking with Watercooling Discussion.

Ghost

I would like to start making a series of interesting threads for discussion. Maybe one a day if I can think of good enough topics fast enough. This is the first one.

--------------------------------------------------------------

For the sake of most people knowing about this chip this should be mostly about the 3570k.

So lets say you have an overkill amount of cooling for your CPU.

Lets say 2 triple rads, a laing d5 pump and a EK supremacy block for it. That's a lot of cooling just for 1 cpu.

So my topic of dicussion is how would you go about overclocking this chip? You know temperature is no longer such a big issue so what would be the next thing to worry about etc?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My response:

I would say the next big thing to worry about is raising the voltage to high. Temperature isn't the only think that can kill a CPU. You shouldn't run high voltages though it constantly.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

True - regardless of temps, Intel does not recommend anything over 1.4v for a 24/7 overclock... which in turn limits just how much you can get out of it. So you quickly get to the point where massive cooling doesn't really help once you hit the voltage wall. Sure looks cool though. :) Also, at 1.4v - is your board itself stable enough... hmmm...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

I think it may become comparable in some aspects to Liquid N overclocking. But you wouldn't have to deal with the sub-zero temps.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

i wont pump more than 1.35 volts into my 3570k :) at the moment its running at 1.25v and 4.5 GHz 24/7 stable (:

eventually in a multi radiator setup the temperatures will levelize. with time and load

the "overhead" becomes important. ambient changes play a part as well.

once an established "overclock" is developed, then attack the temperatures. granted

most of the time a "hot" OC can be tamed by a brillant cooling system, but alot of the

time onlookers are looking to band-aid a back overclock and get discouraged.

lowering the temps 10° to achive .1-.3GHz is wasting time and money.

for a bonzai runs and validation would be the norm, but for enthusiasts moderate

to high acheivable and stable overclock with loaded temperature not exceeding

mid 50°-mid 60° 24/7 with an ambient of 25° would be a goal.

airdeano

eventually in a multi radiator setup the temperatures will levelize. with time and load

once an established "overclock" is developed, then attack the temperatures. granted

most of the time a "hot" OC can be tamed by a brillant cooling system, but alot of the

for a bonzai runs and validation would be the norm, but for enthusiasts moderate

airdeano

The temps would level at a much lower temperature. Sure the water is looped, something we must not forget, however, you have to remember each rad has fans pushing cold air through it which cools down the liquid.

I think we can all agree that none of us want to run past 1.4V (unless we have a replacement chip near by or fancy Intel insurance). At that voltage I bet some of us could reach the 4.9-5Ghz area (for some time, I bet one year max). But the temps would be bad if we did not remove the IHS and throw it away, throwing away our fancy Intel insurance in the act.

I just went Googling... I think Intel's spec is actually 1.55V. At that voltage we would really want to remove the IHS :d hmmm Seen OCN's Ivy Bridge delidding thread? Its pretty cool.

airdeano

also that heat from the radiators transfers to the room ambient and the rooms heating

up, the monitor is heating the room..

not necessarily, yes lower, but not 10° lower. keeping a delta of 20°-40°

would be safe.

airdeano