An issue with people bashing the FX CPUs !

I/O

I know its a good match, but my Asus H87M-pro died (I think its been faulty since day one as its vrm always overheated) and took its i5 4440 with it, I'm just going to stick with my old computer, and maybe do an Xeon mod and an overclock.

You mean not a good match?

You had a VRM overheatting problem with an Intel motherboard and a locked i5?  I'm skeptical.  Were you trying to BCLK overclock or something?  Are you sure that it was the VRMs?  I've never heard of this happening on an Intel processor that is Haswell and newer.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

You mean not a good match?

You had a VRM overheatting problem with an Intel motherboard and a locked i5?  I'm skeptical.  Were you trying to BCLK overclock or something?  Are you sure that it was the VRMs?  I've never heard of this happening on an Intel processor that is Haswell and newer.

I didn't even bother trying to overclock the i5 since its locked (the mobo wasn't good for overclocking in the first place anyway), all I know is that the vrm was prone to overheating as soon as turbo kicked in while I was playing games. And I know it was the VRM as the area of the case adjacent to it was too hot to touch, same as the heatsink when I had the computer open and running.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I switched to this stuff a while back. Helps keep my watermelons at a steady 5GHz

2em3gwi.jpg

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

I didn't even bother trying to overclock the i5 since its locked (the mobo wasn't good for overclocking in the first place anyway), all I know is that the vrm was prone to overheating as soon as turbo kicked in while I was playing games. And I know it was the VRM as the area of the case adjacent to it was too hot to touch, same as the heatsink when I had the computer open and running.

Hm.. I've never heard of that happening with Intel processors Haswell and newer.

Not really sure what to say, I'm googling it and finding nothing.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Hm.. I've never heard of that happening with Intel processors Haswell and newer.

Not really sure what to say, I'm googling it and finding nothing.

I did the same, as I said I think the motherboard was faulty from the start, I contacted Asus, got told to make sure I wasn't overclocking and that there was good ventilation (laughed at the OC bit after I'd given them my full system specs and had all fans correctly set up) and yes the VRM was cooler, but not by a large amount. The mobo failed and the i5 fried (still have no clue how it happened), asked Asus for a replacement (not sure how to contact intel, but I do have all relevant documentation) and got told that they don't do replacement on motherboards that have been used for overclocking. Its a locked i5 4440 for petes sake, how the hell could it be overclocked (rant at them).

PMSL

I did the same, as I said I think the motherboard was faulty from the start, I contacted Asus, got told to make sure I wasn't overclocking and that there was good ventilation (laughed at the OC bit after I'd given them my full system specs and had all fans correctly set up) and yes the VRM was cooler, but not by a large amount. The mobo failed and the i5 fried (still have no clue how it happened), asked Asus for a replacement (not sure how to contact intel, but I do have all relevant documentation) and got told that they don't do replacement on motherboards that have been used for overclocking. Its a locked i5 4440 for petes sake, how the hell could it be overclocked (rant at them).

Wow, thats rediculous.  I'm really sorry that happened, thats unfortunate.  Try again, maybe you'll get a different customer service rep who is more sympathetic and can actually put two and two together to realize you couldn't have overclocked.  I can't say for sure, but it sounds like a faulty mobo.  Were there any warning signs before it finally blew?  I would imagine there would be some kind of self preservation measures taken by the CPU/motherboard to prevent this... 

yeah right just keep posting low res benchmarks.

I call that ignorant. ;)

High res benchmarks are more ignorant.

If you're playing at 1440p or higher then you're not going to buy an FX-8350. The thought process is that, if you can afford to play on high resolutions, why couldn't you afford a better CPU? It's a poor argument.

If you're looking to buy an FX-8350, you can probably only afford 1080p gaming or lower, in which case, the FX is a terrible choice.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Wow, thats rediculous.  I'm really sorry that happened, thats unfortunate.  Try again, maybe you'll get a different customer service rep who is more sympathetic and can actually put two and two together to realize you couldn't have overclocked.  I can't say for sure, but it sounds like a faulty mobo.  Were there any warning signs before it finally blew?  I would imagine there would be some kind of self preservation measures taken by the CPU/motherboard to prevent this... 

The warning sign was the smell of burning electronics, and smoke from the vicinity of the VRM. In all honesty even though my current rig isn't all the latest and greatest tech, all it needs is a better CPU to hold its own against newer computers.

PMSL

The warning sign was the smell of burning electronics, and smoke from the vicinity of the VRM. In all honesty even though my current rig isn't all the latest and greatest tech, all it needs is a better CPU to hold its own against newer computers.

I would try contacting Asus again.. that really sucks =/  Try Intel too.  Hit them up on twitter, instagram, call, email, write bad product reviews on newegg and amazon. Bombard them, stir up so much sh!t that they can't ignore you.

intel has 3 years warranty on all their chips

you have to contact the live chat people mon-fri during business hours to get an rma #

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

I would try contacting Asus again.. that really sucks =/  Try Intel too.  Hit them up on twitter, instagram, call, email, write bad product reviews on newegg and amazon. Bombard them, stir up so much sh!t that they can't ignore you.

I honestly couldn't be bothered if new parts fail within a year. I'd rather use my 6 year old rig than a new one that doesn't really offer that much more other than a higher chance of failure.

PMSL

I honestly couldn't be bothered if new parts fail within a year. I'd rather use my 6 year old rig than a new one that doesn't really offer that much more other than a higher chance of failure.

You got a bad board (which happens with every component at every generation on every platform), knew it was a bad board, and then continued to use it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Threads like this bring out all the fanboys in people, it's actually immature and pathetic. Exactly why I don't frequent this forum anymore.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.7GHz, 1.3v with Corsair H100i - Motherboard: MSI MPOWER Z97 MAX AC - RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill Ares @ 2133 - GPU1: Sapphire Radeon R9-290X BF4 Edition with NZXT Kraken G10 with a Corsair H55 AIO @ 1140/1650 GPU2: PowerColor Radeon R9-290X OC Edition with NZXT Kraken G10 with a Corsair H55 AIO @ 1140/1650 - SSD: 256GB OCZ Agility 4 - HDD: 1TB Samsung HD103SJ- PSU: SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 1300w  - Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) - Case fans: NZXT Blue LED Fans- Keyboard: Steelseries Apex Gaming Keyboard - Mouse: Logitech G600 - Heaphones: Logitech G930 - Monitors: ASUS PB287Q and Acer G246HYLbd -  Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

You got a bad board (which happens with every component at every generation on every platform), knew it was a bad board, and then continued to use it. 

I did what they said, it worked ok for 2 weeks then failed, the only time I'll upgrade now is when I can afford something that is of very high quality from a different company.

PMSL

I believe that the 8 core FX series don't even offer better pricing due to the fact that a locked i5 is 30 dollars more and a decent motherboard is cheaper.

I did what they said, it worked ok for 2 weeks then failed, the only time I'll upgrade now is when I can afford something that is of very high quality from a different company.

All companies have their DOA parts, it's not just an issue with Asus; Asus happens to be one of the best as they make excellent boards. Although their customer service department leaves a lot to be desired. The fact of the matter is you knew there was an issue, and you also knew the person who responded to you was half-assing the response/just being ignorant. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

All companies have their DOA parts, it's not just an issue with Asus; Asus happens to be one of the best as they make excellent boards. Although their customer service department leaves a lot to be desired. The fact of the matter is you knew there was an issue, and you also knew the person who responded to you was half-assing the response/just being ignorant. 

At the end of it all, my p5k has had no issues in 6 years, and even with its phase count (seen anything from 3+1 to 8+1 on some sites) it can overclock with no heatsink on the VRM. I know what I'll be using for another few more years.

PMSL

All I know is my friend has problems running BF4 and it was because of his FX 6350

My FX 6300 has problems with BF4

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gnome Child.

I overclocked a 4670K to 4.6ghz on a 3phase board (z87i gaming ac)

Don't worry, itll be fine ^^

I overclocked a 4670K to 4.6ghz on a 3phase board (z87i gaming ac)

Don't worry, itll be fine ^^

I know its fine, my E8500 hits 4.2GHz stable by simply increasing FSB and locking the multiplier to 9.5 (changing anything else off auto makes it unstable). The only downside that even at 4GHZ its pushing the cooler to its limits.

Another thing interesting I've noticed is the transistor count of the FX 8350 compared to some intel CPUs, and they show exactly why AMD cpus have a lower single thread performance:

• Core 2 Duo E8500- 410 million (45nm)
  • Core 2 Quad Q6600- 582 million (65nm)
  • Xeon X5450- 820 million (45 nm-my next upgrade)
  • FX 6300- 1.2 billion (32nm)
  • FX 3850- 1.2 billion (32nm)
  • i5 4440- 1.4 billion (22nm)
  • i5 4670k- 1.4 billion (22nm)
  • i7 4700k- 1.4 billion (22nm)
  • i7 5960x- 2.6 billion (22nm)

To me it seems that to get more cores, AMD simply divies up the same CPUs into more cores, therefore making each indivivdual core smaller and lower performance. Note that this is another consideration of mine when choosing a CPU, as it is a greater indication of just how good a CPU will perform.

PMSL

problem is that games will not take advantage of more cores at this moment.

Its more than that, the FX series is still rooted back in the days of sandybridge, they physically can't be made to outperom any of the newer Intel cpus.

PMSL

Even if they did use multithreading to the hilt,...they would still be shithouse for a lot of games, the problem isn't the amount of cores used but The IPC of each core, whether the usage is 20% or 90% across all 4-8 cores, the IPC remains the same.

Overclocking doesn't add much unfortunately and there is still limitation.

It's never been about core count, I mean sure an 8Core is really nice for video editing, but that IS using all cores,...not all software is equal in that regard,......so IPC is where it's at and will always be where it's at..

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

That test was at 720p...

The FX really shows its flaws with 1080p and a high end GPU. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz