Cranking UP PC without Heatsink/CPU Fan

Docmac

Here's the thing.
I'm getting ready to build a new rig, which will be water cooled, but I would like to make sure that none of my parts are DOA before installing the water block, radiator, etc.  So I was thinking, since the purpose of a heatsink/cpu fan is to try to keep the temperature of the cpu as close to the ambient temperature as possible, do you think it would be okay for me to install my cpu on my motherboard as well as everything else (graphics cards, hard disk) and plug in a monitor, and then leaving the case completely open (both sides off - this is a Silverstone TJ10 case) and then crank it up to make sure that the ram and motherboard are not doa (the mobo is a new x99-E WS, CPU is a new Core I7 5930K) ?  I would have the room fairly cool, around 72 - 73 degrees.  I could also have a fan pointed at the cpu.  I would only let it run to see if it fires up okay.  Then shut it off and begin installing my water cooling parts.  Do you think I need to install a heatsink/fan to the cpu to just check it out for such a short time, since the case will be wide open to the cool room air?  Linus advises to check everything first for doa parts before installing the water cooling.  I was just wondering if I could save myself some hassle buy not having to install a heatsink/fan for the initial check.

Thanks for the advice.

HELL NO!!! Please put a CPU cooler before you plug it in.

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

Yeah install the stock fan to the cpu. You must have that unless it will fry itself straight away.

[Case Mod] Operation: The Division --- > Here

[CUSTOM WATER COOLED TABLE] Project: Ravage ---> Here

-== QUOTE ME IN YOUR REPLY IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND ==-

-

Do you want your CPU to fry eggs? Because that's how you get sunny side ups 

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

No, no, and no.

Would you take a pile of cash equal to ~$2200 and put it on an electric burner that had been turned up to 10 for 5 minutes? That is essentially what you are proposing to do. The bills on top may be safe, but some of that money is going to get burned.

*edit* buy a cheap air cooler and install it. Save yourself the headache of explaining to Intel warranty support how you managed to fry a 5930k with less than 5 minutes of use on the clock.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Wow... really? You buy this expensive hardware and then cheap out because X99´s CPUs don´t come as boxed version?!?

I have this CPU as well just a different board (Asus X99 Deluxe) and would never even have thought about that.

Please buy the standard heatsink for this CPU and don´t cheap out on the thermal compound and test it apropriately. The standard heatsink for X99 isn´t even 25 USD I think.

The name of this heat sink is TS13A.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

I think you've got a pretty good idea of what we recommend, but if you do end up doing it, make a video and be sure to post it lol

4k Main Rig: CPU: Intel 4770k || MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 || GPU: 2x GTX 780 DCIIs || MEM: 4x4Gb 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance || CASE: Corsair 750D || STORAGE: Corsair 240Gb Force GS (OS), Corsair 120Gb Force GT (games) and Seagate 3TB (storage) || PSU: Corsair 860i || DISPLAYS: ASUS PB287Q 4k || COOLING: 360mm x 45mm Rad, 280mm x 60mm Rad, EK Supremacy EVO, 2x EK GXT 780 ti DCII blocks

Just get a cheap cooler like a 212 evo or something to keep it from frying.

PS I don't know if 212 evo is compatible with LGA 2011 so don't quote me on that.

Part of the Q6600 club

@Docmac like basically everybody in this thread I am going to say do not do this. Unless you want to fry your expensive components put some sort of heatsink/waterblock on that CPU BEFORE you press the power button. By the way, you have a CPU waterblock and the other parts necessary to use it so why not just put that on before you put your whole loop together? Then you wouldn't even need to buy a cheap air cooler.

Thanks guys.  I had a feeling I was going to get stomped on over it.  I pretty much knew it was a no-no, but was trying to get my head around the idea of how a cpu fan, even a stock one at that, is able to pull so much heat away as compared to a cold room with a regular fan blowing on it.  It would be great if somebody could explain the physics behind it all.  But I hear ya!!!  I'll throw my old noctua on it to check for any DOA's.

Thanks for the spanking, lol.

Thanks guys.  I had a feeling I was going to get stomped on over it.  I pretty much knew it was a no-no, but was trying to get my head around the idea of how a cpu fan, even a stock one at that, is able to pull so much heat away as compared to a cold room with a regular fan blowing on it.  It would be great if somebody could explain the physics behind it all.  But I hear ya!!!  I'll throw my old noctua on it to check for any DOA's.

Thanks for the spanking, lol.

It's surface area.  There is heat transfer occurring at every point where the air is contacting the hot object.  The top of a CPU heat shield is only like 4 square centimeters.  Even a basic stock heatsink has probably 100x the surface area of that because of all the fins in the design, so there is a lot more contact and a lot more heat transfer going on.

buy a stock intel cpu cooler or better yet for same price the hyper 212..do not turn it on without a heatsink on it for the love of pete

@syrazpc - for all my rambles about PC's -- My Gallifreyan Build In Progress

Put it underwater and test it there. This method will eliminate heating problems if you don't have any CPU coolers. Goodluck!  :)

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

Thanks again fellas.  Yeah, I have a Noctua NH-D14 on the rig I'm replacing.  But while building this new one, I wanted to be able to keep it running so when I have questions, I can get on here and get answers which you guys so spectacularly provide!!  So will probably go with what so many have suggested and buy a cheapo 2011 cooler.  And thanks Glenwing for the explanation about the cpu heat shield.

This same subject was in discussion few weeks back. I can't remember who, but some did experiments with spare CPUs. The best time was 30s before system shutdown because of heating.

E:Here it is (will go to my bookmarks for future) http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/253979-do-i-need-a-cpu-cooler-if-im-only-seeing-if-my-systen-posts/?p=3479527

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv