Audi to develop Tesla Model S all-electric rival

fordpower

The Tesla Model S has a rival. Audi is to develop all-electric family car. This is to be a family car that will offer an all-electric range of 280 miles (450 kilometers), according to Auto Express, which reported that the vehicle is under development and is to arrive in 2017. Audi's technical development chief Ulrich Hackenberg told Auto Express, "I was able to reengineer the R8 e-tron project and technology with the team and we are on the way to a range of 450km (280 miles)." Auto Express reporter Jonathan Burn said the all-electric family car is expected to adopt a saloon style body to allow for better packaging. "The larger surface area of a saloon would allow for the bigger and more powerful batteries to be stowed beneath the floor of the car so to not encroach on boot or passenger space."

http://m.phys.org/news/2014-11-audi-tesla-all-electric-rival.html

finally competition

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Competition in the electric car space is good. I have a hard time seeing audi competing with tesla in performance though.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Audi A8 E-Tron pls

Muh rig: i7 4770k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 G45, Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB, Samsung 840 EVO 120 + WD Blue 1 TB, Asus GTX 770 2GB, Corsair 200r + 2x Corsair AF 120 Blue + 1x Stock corsair fan, Corsair TX650, LG 27EA33V IPS, Steelseries Sensei Raw + QCK mini, CM Quickfire Ultimate Blue.

Competition in the electric car space is good. I have a hard time seeing audi competing with tesla in performance though.

eh, audi has the handling parts and experience down. then with electric motors its just finding the balance between power and range

Exciting news! I imagine they should be able to put forth one that will definitely rival the Tesla in terms of performance and price.

While Tesla seems to be more interested in just getting the car out there, Audi has the power of the VAG and it's wealth of parts behind them.

Thus their margins should be a lot better.

finally competition

Agreed!

Can't wait to see electronic cars come flooding out. It's been too long.

so Audi needs "next-generation batteries" to achieve the same range as tesla ...

Not quite...likely they were just waiting for someone else to start mass producing them.

When you start making cars on a large scale and have a name to upkeep, it's a little different then say a start up like Tesla.

See: Porsche 918.

I think Audi will have no problem in the performance department.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

See: Porsche 918.

I think Audi will have no problem in the performance department.

The 918 is a hybrid though and can only go 12 miles all electric. After seeing what else there currently is like bmw's i3, i dont have to much faith in another great electric car like the model s being released any time soon.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

the Chevy Volt Gen II is coming soon, thats interesting, a big boon on its part is that you aren't limited by the time to charge if you need to use your vehicle.

1465864_10152493657631009_81615217192475

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

the Chevy Volt Gen II is coming soon, thats interesting, a big boon on its part is that you aren't limited by the time to charge if you need to use your vehicle.

1465864_10152493657631009_81615217192475

meh. It wont be much more than a current gen volt with some different styling. The volt is nothing more than a Chevy built prius.

meh. It wont be much more than a current gen volt with some different styling. The volt is nothing more than a Chevy built prius.

the truth have spoken

LTT CSGO SERVER! IP 8.12.22.45!~  Connect by connecting on csgo console

Use console command "connect"   --->  connect 8.12.22.45

So excited about all the electric cars coming about. I reckon by the time I actually pass my driving test (probably within 5 more years) they will be prevalent enough such that I will never ever have to own an Internal Combustion Engine car. And that's awesome.

What would make you think that? its a new gen of hardware, a new gen of batteries, probably a decade of technology updates are to come around with this update, and a much more efficient gas engine, as the one in their was very much a stop gap, with no direct injection and an iron block. the prius is a different machine all together as the volt can burn way less gas for someone who doesn't do much highway. and the volt can drive on gas, so you are never limited by the battery range of the electric vehicle.

i live in canada, so i likely will never give up my gas engines, because the alternative would be death by icy coldness. But the Tesla, Leaf, Prius, Volt and Karma are all interesting vehicles, but el;ectric is a stop gap

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

What would make you think that? its a new gen of hardware, a new gen of batteries, probably a decade of technology updates are to come around with this update, and a much more efficient gas engine, as the one in their was very much a stop gap, with no direct injection and an iron block. the prius is a different machine all together as the volt can burn way less gas for someone who doesn't do much highway. and the volt can drive on gas, so you are never limited by the battery range of the electric vehicle.

i live in canada, so i likely will never give up my gas engines, because the alternative would be death by icy coldness. But the Tesla, Leaf, Prius, Volt and Karma are all interesting vehicles, but el;ectric is a stop gap

The first gen volt never delivered what gm promised. The "new gen" batteries are basically the same as they where in 2010. From what i can find so far, it looks like the gen 2 volts drive-train will be nearly identical to the current gens. The volt is nothing but a glorified plug in hybrid. Nothing more, nothing less.

The first gen volt never delivered what gm promised. The "new gen" batteries are basically the same as they where in 2010. From what i can find so far, it looks like the gen 2 volts drive-train will be nearly identical to the current gens. The volt is nothing but a glorified plug in hybrid. Nothing more, nothing less.

it is a plug in hybrid

and which promises did it not deliver? 

it was supposed to do about 40 miles right? there are plenty of sources showing that can be achieved, but along with anything battery powered, it is variable

the pipeline in car development is long enough that i wouldn't even say its 2010 batteries in the volt, the other thing is i doubt we'll see identical drivetrain, i expect a switch to aluminum block and direct injection at the very least, and both of those will improve efficiency and battery range. Sure there isn't a jump in the same vane as a new processor node to switch to but this will also probably introduce the Delta III platform, or at least a major update to the Delta, as we are due for a new refresh of compact cars from GM

Wouldn't mind an electric A6...

audi-a6-2015_0.jpg

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Audi has great engineers with a lot more experience at building cars than Tesla. Don't underestimate the Germans. 

Personal Rig: i7 7700K - Asus Strix Z270H - 2x8GB GSkill RGB memory 3000Mhz - EVGA GTX1080ti SC2 - 2X Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2

I bet since tesla has signed a deal to make the giga factory audi will just buy its battery's from tesla.

but its good to see the market growing I'm currently looking into a electric sports bike to commute to work

Its all about those volumetric clouds

As long as it helps push us towards a future without gas-powered cars, I'm all for competition. That said, whenever it is I can afford to buy an electric car, it will be Tesla.

The Prius is a hybrid. The Volt is an electric car. (And yes, if the engine does not power the wheels, it is still electric)

Nothing like a Prius.

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Depends on where you live in Canada.  If you're rural, yes it could be a while before there's an electric that would work, and there may be other alternatives by then.  But for city and suburban, electric is a perfect fit as a grocery getter, kid runner and commuter.  I've been seriously looking at the leaf.  I have a 20km round trip to work every day and my weekend driving is not much more.  95% of my driving doesn't require anything more than a compact car just to get my ass there.  I understand there are technology hurdles and the tech is still expensive compared to established combustion engines, but when we finally see true sub $30K (CAD) or even reaching $20K compact all electrics the market will explode.  (There are rebates that get the Leaf down in cost, but it's still a bit high, and there's no competition.)

If you're strictly looking at it from an emissions point, your biggest targets are more densely populated areas where efficiency is the worst.  You get affordable electric (as compared to current gas) into those areas and you'll have a hit.   Rural areas could continue to use gas engines and it won't matter as much.  As such, I don't see electric as a stop gap to anything else in those areas.

The Prius is a hybrid. The Volt is an electric car. (And yes, if the engine does not power the wheels, it is still electric)

Nothing like a Prius.

actually the gas engine can directly power the wheels. Take a read. 

http://jalopnik.com/5661051/how-gm-lied-about-the-electric-car

actually the gas engine can directly power the wheels. Take a read. 

http://jalopnik.com/5661051/how-gm-lied-about-the-electric-car

I don't know if I can trust the article, because after watching the Volt in action, if you keep it charged, the gas engine will only power on to burn stale fuel.

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz