IPS monitor suddenly has red tint on one side

nj4ck

Hey guys, I just got back from lunch and noticed my secondary IPS monitor has suddenly developed a nasty red tint on the right side of the panel. Its an LG 23EA63 and I've been quite happy with it up until now. I've tried both HDMI and DVI cables, but the problem does appear to be the monitor itself (red tint still there when displaying only standby screen with no cable connected). Does anyone know what this is? Is it somehow fixable, or do I have to RMA? I'd hate to have to live without it for several days/weeks..

Here's a picture of what it looks like:

BzSRSZW.jpg

RMA.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Are your monitors both exactly the same?

@nj4ck

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Are your monitors both exactly the same?

@nj4ck

yes.

I had the exact same happen to my one of my LG monitors (Same model as yours), I contacted them, they picked it up the next day, and within 48 hours I had it back and working :D All fixed for FREE (including free pickup).

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

yes.

Hmm, well then you definitely (and unfortunately for you) need to RMA it?

How long have you had them for?

I had the exact same happen to my one of my LG monitors (Same model as yours), I contacted them, they picked it up the next day, and within 48 hours I had it back and working :D All fixed for FREE (including free pickup).

Where did you buy it? Who did you RMA with, the vendor or the manufacturer? I have two problems, number one is that I have two of the exact same monitors, which I purchased at different times from different vendors, a few months apart. I have no idea which one is which, that's problem 1. Problem 2 is that I don't have the original box anymore, must have lost it when I moved. Not sure how to send a monitor without the original packaging, I don't expect them to accept it wrapped in newspapers..

Hmm, well then you definitely (and unfortunately for you) need to RMA it?

How long have you had them for?

I've had one of them for about a year and the other for about 9 months... I don't even know which one of them is the older one. I'm also pretty sure the warranty is only one year, so I may be out of luck.

The backlight must be faulty. RMA.

If it's an RGB LED backlight, if the green LEDs on one side fail, a magenta hue like this is what you'd end up with. That's what I think the problem here is anyway.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

I've had one of them for about a year and the other for about 9 months... I don't even know which one of them is the older one. I'm also pretty sure the warranty is only one year, so I may be out of luck.

Ahh bugger! Well how much did you pay for them? Could you afford to buy another one or not?

Where did you buy it? Who did you RMA with, the vendor or the manufacturer? I have two problems, number one is that I have two of the exact same monitors, which I purchased at different times from different vendors, a few months apart. I have no idea which one is which, that's problem 1. Problem 2 is that I don't have the original box anymore, must have lost it when I moved. Not sure how to send a monitor without the original packaging, I don't expect them to accept it wrapped in newspapers..

I got to remember now. 

Go to LG's website, sign up and it will ask you for the serial number (on the back of the monitor) then it should say something like "contact support" or "RMA", I then started talking to them and explained what was happening, I had to also send some pictures. Then they sent someone to collect it, I had it back and fixed within 48 hours, that was about 4 months ago and it has been fine since. :D

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

The backlight must be faulty. RMA.

If it's an RGB LED backlight, if the green LEDs on one side fail, a magenta hue like this is what you'd end up with. That's what I think the problem here is anyway.

Its every second horizontal row of pixels that is red/magenta, just in case that helps diagnose the issue.

I got to remember now. 

Go to LG's website, sign up and it will ask you for the serial number (on the back of the monitor) then it should say something like "contact support" or "RMA", I then started talking to them and explained what was happening, I had to also send some pictures. Then they sent someone to collect it, I had it back and fixed within 48 hours, that was about 4 months ago and it has been fine since. :D

Interesting, I'll give that a try, hopefully they provide that kind of service in germany. Thanks anyway!

Its every second horizontal row of pixels that is red/magenta, just in case that helps diagnose the issue.

That's weird. Might still be something else then. All the same, RMA anyway. Unless... Have you tried rebooting your pc? It's not a typical way it'd manifest itself but if a GPU is unstable it might also give weird patterns.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Well, just registered the product with LG and set up an RMA. Lets hope I get it back soon... There is nothing I hate more than having only one monitor  :angry:

That's weird. Might still be something else then. All the same, RMA anyway. Unless... Have you tried rebooting your pc? It's not a typical way it'd manifest itself but if a GPU is unstable it might also give weird patterns.

Well, considering that the monitor displays the red tint in standby mode with no cable connected, I think the GPU is out of question, I'll try it anyway.

Well, considering that the monitor displays the red tint in standby mode with no cable connected, I think the GPU is out of question, I'll try it anyway.

I guess you're right on that one. Does it do it when the display is meant to be black, white or both?

I guess you're right on that one. Does it do it when the display is meant to be black, white or both?

Both. I mean, it doesn't do it when the display is off, obviously, but it does it with any color. It also has an interesting burn-in effect, If I open a grey picture on it, I can see the outlines of my desktop wallpaper behind it through the grey picture, its really weird.

Both. I mean, it doesn't do it when the display is off, obviously, but it does it with any color. It also has an interesting burn-in effect, If I open a grey picture on it, I can see the outlines of my desktop wallpaper behind it through the grey picture, its really weird.

Hmm... Seems like a bad contact somewhere inside the monitor, between the scaler and the LCD panel itself, probably. But whatever the issue, if it's still in warranty I'd advise against trying to repair it yourself.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old post but...The same thing happened to my monitor a while back, Anything I tried didnt work and it was too late to RMA it...

• 2 weeks later...
On 15.6.2016 at 8:54 PM, zarrexx said:

I know this is an old post but...The same thing happened to my monitor a while back, Anything I tried didnt work and it was too late to RMA it...

Do you still have it? You could take it apart and look for blown caps or fried components on the board. I didn't do that with mine since it was still RMAable, but that's how I've fixed a bunch of other monitors.

• 5 months later...

sad me, just yesterday night the same shit happened to me, got a RMA since the red shade is there even upon disconnecting the vga, darn and i have one monitor unlike u

• 4 years later...

I have the same problem. Today the problem came out of nowhere. I did everything I could, but no availed. Since the warranty period is expired, I have to buy a new monitor now. I am still going to use this for a few weeks or more since it's not very bad.