Fx6300 or Pentium G3258 for Budget Gaming?

Go to solution Solved by i_build_nanosuits,

Do the FX 6300 and the 8320 have similar performance? or is there a massive difference in performance?

in regards to gaming, not much...the FX-6300 is likely to overclock better...i would still pair it with the M5A97 for best results and reliability.

gaming with AMD FX cpu's 99% of the time you'll be limited by the ''per core'' performance of the chip and not the multi-threaded performance, so in short a 3 modules vs 4 modules cpu's won't change much for most games...and when it does you'd need an higher-end GPU to notice it.

Hello, I might build my first pc this week and was wondering what CPU to purchase. My budget right now is 350$ because I have already purchased a GPU. I have heard great things about Intel's Pentium G3258 which is a Dual-Core 3.2 Ghz Processor and is 100$ with an MSI Z97 PC Mate Mobo. I have also heard some great things about AMD's fx6300 6core 3.5Ghz Processor that is 130$ with an Asus M5A97 R2.0 Mobo. My question is What CPU should I buy for gaming? I need one that would last me quite a while. I have unfortunately heard that games are starting to require more than 2 cores like Far Cry 4. I have an R9 270 Oc with boost GPU and will be getting 8gb of Ram, A Corsair 230T case. 500 or 600w Corsair PSU, a Seagate Barracuda TB HDD.

The FX chip will last a hell of a lot longer than the Pentium, get it.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

i would go with the FX hands down...the pentium is very weak and can't even launch farcry4, dragon age inquisition and call of duty AW...and it struggle in many games.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

in its niche, the pentium is great.

unfortunately, modern gaming is not its niche.

I'd go 6300

i would go with the FX hands down...the pentium is very weak and can't even launch farcry4, dragon age inquisition and call of duty AW...and it struggle in many games.

You are, however, pretty biased about that CPU. I've seen that topic of yours, and I left my remarks about it which you never got back to.

FX 6300 OR FX8320?

i3-4330.

I would go with the Pentium. The upgrade ability that comes with it and the Z97 is hard to beat.

The AM3+ Socket is dying if not dead and the Z97 means you can OC the Pentium to about 4.00Ghz on the stock cooler. (though i recommend a aftermarket cooler. e.g Hyper 212 EVO)

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

Both won't last "quite a while". They're both pretty budget, you get what you pay for. Accept that you're going budget.

@TheSLSAMG no it won't.

The Pentium G3258 is already showing it's age, the FX chip at least still has some fight left in it. It won't last a very long time, but it will still last longer than the Pentium.

Currently, an FX 6300 in gaming is comparable to an i3 4330. Meanwhile, the Pentium is comparable to one after a heavy overclock. And even then, it still struggles. I own a G3258, I would know firsthand how much it does.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

You are, however, pretty biased about that CPU. I've seen that topic of yours, and I left my remarks about it which you never got back to.

absolutely not i must have missed your imput on it if you don't mind bringing it again i'd gladly answer all your questions and concerns on this.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

(1) The Pentium G3258 is already showing it's age, the FX chip at least still has some fight left in it. It won't last a very long time, but it will still last longer than the Pentium.

(2) Currently, an FX 6300 in gaming is comparable to an i3 4330. Meanwhile, the Pentium is comparable to one after a heavy overclock. And I own a G3258, I would know firsthand how much it stuggles.

(1) Right, that's what I said. It's OK for now, assuming you realise you buy budget and it won't last a while. 

(2) What, no. The FX-6300 doesn't come close to the i3-4330, or any Haswell i3 for that matter. Not in the grand total. You can run a high-end card with an i3, you can't do that with a fx-6300.

That FX will run out of steam long before the i3.

I have heard that an AMD CPU and an AMD GPU give you really great performance.

You heard wrong. Going full AMD has no benefits over mixing brands up. That's just fanboyism. You did however jump from budget. What is your exact budget, because if you can afford a 8320 why are you comparing the fx6300 and the g3258.

Either platform is end of line so I'd just get the FX chip. The Pentium is an awesome overclocker for the price, but it's still a dual core. By the time there is a reason to do a crazy upgrade, Intel's consumer DDR4 platform will be out.

my brother has a fx 6300, would recommend it highly for any budget build. I got him a hyper 212, was going to overclock, but for just gaming, we dont even need to. Highly recommend it. granted, we did get a great cpu/mobo bundle at microcenter. 

i honestly thought about selling my i5-3570k build, and switch to a fx  6300. call me crazy but for what i use it for, its what i need. I dont do professional work. just web browse and game

my brother has a fx 6300, would recommend it highly for any budget build. I got him a hyper 212, was going to overclock, but for just gaming, we dont even need to. Highly recommend it. granted, we did get a great cpu/mobo bundle at microcenter. 

i honestly thought about selling my i5-3570k build, and switch to a fx  6300. call me crazy but for what i use it for, its what i need. I dont do professional work. just web browse and game

http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/image//skymtl/CPU/KAVERI-APU/KAVERI-APU-67.jpg

Selling the 3570K would be very stupid.

Also N=1 arguments are very weak by default. The fact you think it's ok, does not make it an objectively good decision. You have to compare it to the competition, and then make a rational decision.

For those saying "new games are multithreaded now";

http://www.techspot.com/articles-info/917/bench/CPU_01.png

Lowest model IVY i3 beats the 8350. Even the X4-980 due to it's higher IPC beats the FX cpu's. Just don't buy those things for the love of christ :/

http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/image//skymtl/CPU/KAVERI-APU/KAVERI-APU-67.jpg

Also N=1 arguments are very weak by default. The fact you think it's ok, does not make it an objectively good decision. You have to compare it to the competition, and then make a rational decision.

Lowest model IVY i3 beats the 8350. Even the X4-980 due to it's higher IPC beats the FX cpu's. Just don't buy those things for the love of christ :/

oh, im not saying its way better then the comp, im just saying I had good experience with it personally. so in my opionion id recommend it. and where did those charts come from? his case will be a gpu bottleneck, like 99.9% of people out there. so its rare to see such a diffrence in frame rates because of a cpu. 

(1) Right, that's what I said. It's OK for now, assuming you realise you buy budget and it won't last a while. 

(2) What, no. The FX-6300 doesn't come close to the i3-4330, or any Haswell i3 for that matter. Not in the grand total. You can run a high-end card with an i3, you can't do that with a fx-6300.

That FX will run out of steam long before the i3.

You heard wrong. Going full AMD has no benefits over mixing brands up. That's just fanboyism. You did however jump from budget. What is your exact budget, because if you can afford a 8320 why are you comparing the fx6300 and the g3258.

Well the FX 8320 bundle at Micro Center is 20$ more than the FX 6300

oh, im not saying its way better then the comp, im just saying I had good experience with it personally. so in my opionion id recommend it. and where did those charts come from? his case will be a gpu bottleneck, like 99.9% of people out there. so its rare to see such a diffrence in frame rates because of a cpu. 

All i have to say is that an FX-6300 still plays every modern games better than an overclocked pentium dual core regardless of the clockspeed both chips operates at...the FX won't stutter, won't hitch, and will provide more stable and consistent performance across the boards except in games that rely only on one or two cores to process massive amounts of instructions such as some MMO's and RTS games.

It's still FAR from ideal, the single-threaded performance on these is abysmal compared to other modern intel's CPU's and in many scenarios it will slow down to a crawl...a core i3 will outdo both CPU's in every way possible except video rendering and workloads that maxes out the FX cores.

All i have to say is that an FX-6300 still plays every modern games better than an overclocked pentium dual core regardless of the clockspeed both chips operates at...the FX won't stutter, won't hitch, and will provide more stable and consistent performance across the boards excpet in games that rely only on one or two cores to process massive amounts of instructions such as some MMO's and RTS games.

Well at this budget CPU really doesn't matter much, since it will never work with a 780 or 970. I'd say get a 860K and overclock that.

The Pentium is pretty neat at 4.5ghz, but if games won't launch that's a big problem.

Well at this budget CPU really doesn't matter much, since it will never work with a 780 or 970. I'd say get a 860K and overclock that.

The Pentium is pretty neat at 4.5ghz, but if games won't launch that's a big problem.

i agree the 860K is cheap as hell, has a 10% higher IPC over the FX chips or so, overclocks well and the motherboards for it are cheap...also it won't pull nearly as much power from the wall...it's a very good budget gaming CPU.

i agree the 860K is cheap as hell, has a 10% higher IPC over the FX chips or so, overclocks well and the motherboards for it are cheap...also it won't pull nearly as much power from the wall...it's a very good budget gaming CPU.

Imho one of the only Interesting CPU's AMD has right now... But it's so cheap for a quadcore, I wonder if they're even making money on it.

Go with the fx and then you can upgrade to an i3/5 skylake

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Imho one of the only Interesting CPU's AMD has right now... But it's so cheap for a quadcore, I wonder if they're even making money on it.

i agree...it's agressively priced and can play any games...albeit it is kinda slow in MMO's and RTS which can be a deal breaker for some users.

if i was to build a 1080p gaming rig on a very tight budget i would go with an 860K and a radeon R9 280. IMHO that's offering the best performance for the money without going too cheap to the point where you can't enjoy the games on nice fidelity.

Bumping the budget slightly i would then get an i3-4350 or i5-4440 and an R9 290.

Why are you posting graphs like this?

If i look at it, i allready rolling on the floor laughing realy.

If you just look at it, you allready see, that they are totaly BS. lol :D

Why are you posting graphs like this?

If i look at it, i allready rolling on the floor laughing realy.

If you just look at it, you allready see, that they are totaly BS. lol :D

from my experience those numbers looks totaly fine to me, that's about the results one migh expect...skyrim relying purely on single-threaded performance it's no surprise to see the AMD cpu behind...and in multi-threaded modern games like farcry 4 there is still a dominant main thread to be processed as fast as possible..this is not new, watchdogs was doing that on my FX.

A core i3 is indeed for the most part a superior gaming CPU to even an overclocked FX 8 core CPU unfortunately.

The FX is still pushing an average of 66frames per second on ultra settings in FarCry 4 though...it's not bad, it just limit the performance of a GTX980 by about 30% at 1920*1200...

pairing it with an R9 280X or GTX 770 would make a lot more sense though.