Z97-A vs Z97-AR

Hi Guys, I'm new on this forum and I need your help for my first build ever (yeah, what can actually go wrong...)

I've chosen all of the system so far, but there are two variants of the Z97 the A and the AR that to me look identical from a specs point of view, but the AR is just better looking into my system (White Color Case) the difference is about 15$. Someone is recommending me the Msi Z97S Krait for the color scheme, and to ditch the Asus line completely, what's your suggestion?

Another thing, is there someone with the Z97-AR? If yes what your backplate look like? the Z97-A comes with one of the simplest backplate ever, I would like something more attractive. Sorry for my bad english, it's not my native language, but I hope everything will be understandable.

Thanks!

-snip-

Hello @legolas90, welcome to the forums!

Please make sure to read the CoC, Posting guidelines, Private Policy, Reporting Guidelines, and the F.A.Q. here:

Code of Conduct

Posting Guidelines

Private Policy

Reporting Guidelines

F.A.Q.

Have a look at Asus's comparison chart here: Comparison Chart

You should pick the motherboard that looks good, and offers all the features you need. 

A better mobo typically means better upgrading capabilities, so keep that in mind too!

Linus Tech Tips will provide a wonderful environment for you to interact and learn with other members.

We hope you enjoy your stay!

P.S. Don't forget to customize your profile, and always ask if you need help. (Please quote to get another member's attention)

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

There is honestly not much difference between them, if you prefer the looks its only $15 so its not that much more to invest

MSI motherboards are fantastic too, so ditching Asus for MSI is not a bad thing

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Get the AR. Only difference is no vga/dvi and color scheme. And it looks better, I have one also

Get the AR. Only difference is no vga/dvi and color scheme. And it looks better, I have one also

Thanks, how is the I/O Shield on the AR, any different that in the z97-A? on the Z97-A is real plain metal IO Shield.

Looking to the MSi and Z97-A/AR compared I'd like to go with Asus honestly.

There is honestly not much difference between them, if you prefer the looks its only $15 so its not that much more to invest

MSI motherboards are fantastic too, so ditching Asus for MSI is not a bad thing

imho Asus > MSI.

Only difference I can think of @OP is the AR is a silver colour, while A is gold.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Get the Z97S Krait! If you want to keep with ASUS, the AR would suit your build better.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Get the Z97S Krait! If you want to keep with ASUS, the AR would suit your build better.

Why do you suggest MSI Z97S Krait over the Z97 AR? I see you have an H87M from Asus, does there something to consider on the Z97S that I cannot find on the AR or viceversa?

Also if everyone know if the I/O plate is plain steel or is the black version in the Z97-AR, thanks.

Thanks, how is the I/O Shield on the AR, any different that in the z97-A? on the Z97-A is real plain metal IO Shield.

Looking to the MSi and Z97-A/AR compared I'd like to go with Asus honestly.

It's plain metal like the A unfortunately.

Why do you suggest MSI Z97S Krait over the Z97 AR? I see you have an H87M from Asus, does there something to consider on the Z97S that I cannot find on the AR or viceversa?

Also if everyone know if the I/O plate is plain steel or is the black version in the Z97-AR, thanks.

Cheap boards get the plain metal plates. More expensive boards get the black I/O plate.

That's how it usually goes.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Cheap boards get the plain metal plates. More expensive boards get the black I/O plate.

That's how it usually goes.

True, but doesn't mean the quality of the board is any different. I rarely look at the I/O shield on my pc so i don't really care

True, but doesn't mean the quality of the board is any different. I rarely look at the I/O shield on my pc so i don't really care

Idk man. The cheap ASUS board with crappy VRM I used to have had the bare metal plate.

The big orange over built VRM Gigabyte board I have now has the black I/O plate.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

• 1 month later...

I've got the Z97A in the end, so thank you all for your help.

There is something that doesn't look right into the aligning of the IO Shield, would someone be so gentle to post a photo of the IO shield of their mounted Z97A?

Thanks.

Hi Guys, I'm new on this forum and I need your help for my first build ever (yeah, what can actually go wrong...)

I've chosen all of the system so far, but there are two variants of the Z97 the A and the AR that to me look identical from a specs point of view, but the AR is just better looking into my system (White Color Case) the difference is about 15$. Someone is recommending me the Msi Z97S Krait for the color scheme, and to ditch the Asus line completely, what's your suggestion?

Another thing, is there someone with the Z97-AR? If yes what your backplate look like? the Z97-A comes with one of the simplest backplate ever, I would like something more attractive. Sorry for my bad english, it's not my native language, but I hope everything will be understandable.

Thanks!

only difference for real world performance is NON. AR is silver and A is gold in color . where Asus is better then MSI . not much better now but still better.

CPU: i7 4790K | Ram:Corsair Vengeance 8GB | GPU: Asus R9 270 | Cooling :Corsair H100i | Storage : Intel SSD, Seagate HDDs | PSU : Corsair VS 550 | Case: CM HAF Advanced.

Thanks again, I am pretty satisfied with the board so far, only the IO plate looks off centered, so I'm searching for an image of this board connector in a case with the IO shield on, but so far, no luck.