I want to try mechanical...

mightytech

So i really want to try a mechanical keyboard and now is the perfect time since mine i slowly dying. The S key barely works and i have to lam on it for it to work sometimes. But the thing is I've never tried any mechanical keyboards so i don't know which one i want. Everyone always say to try all the witches, but there is NOTHING near me where i can try them. Could i like order samples of all the switches?

Has anyone tried clears?  I have no idea what to think of them from the specs of them.

What are the specs?

60 or 65gramms of actuation force(browns have 45) and a tactile bump, no audible click.

They are like browns, but with a heavier spring and the tactile bump is supposed to be more "intense". I haven't ever played with one, but I will probably order a clear switch soon just so i know if I want one for my next kb, I want to get a wire keycap puller anyways, migh aswell order a switch with it ^^

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

So i really want to try a mechanical keyboard and now is the perfect time since mine i slowly dying. The S key barely works and i have to lam on it for it to work sometimes. But the thing is I've never tried any mechanical keyboards so i don't know which one i want. Everyone always say to try all the witches, but there is NOTHING near me where i can try them. Could i like order samples of all the switches?

What types of games do you play?

Sometimes, it's better to not go with the one you feel is best through trying, it's better to learn to like the one that is most proper for your application.

If you play FPS games for example, blues shouldn't be used but many people do it anyway, despite the poor strafing and spamming action. (Because of slower button return speed and probability of potentially disastrous snagging) Likewise, if you're playing RTS games it would suck to use reds because sometimes you can doubt that your key press went through properly, wasting precious milliseconds on confirming.

Odds are, if you actually try first, you will choose what feels best and not what is good to use, is all I'm saying.

What I recommend:

FPS: Brown > Black = Red (brown are tactile but with a bump instead of a click, don't snag as a result, and the actuation point is more accurate to the tactile feel than blues. Blacks and reds are similarly un-tactile but blacks require more force.)

RTS: Brown > Blue

MMO: Red > Membrane > Black > Brown (choice for MMOs should be what takes less force because of the spamming required, thus saving your fingers from arthritis!)

Typing: Blue > Green

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

What types of games do you play?

Sometimes, it's better to not go with the one you feel is best through trying, it's better to learn to like the one that is most proper for your application.

If you play FPS games for example, blues shouldn't be used but many people do it anyway, despite the poor strafing and spamming action. (Because of slower button return speed and probability of potentially disastrous snagging) Likewise, if you're playing RTS games it would suck to use reds because sometimes you can doubt that your key press went through properly, wasting precious milliseconds on confirming.

Odds are, if you actually try first, you will choose what feels best and not what is good to use, is all I'm saying.

What I recommend:

FPS: Brown > Black = Red (brown are tactile but with a bump instead of a click, don't snag as a result, and the actuation point is more accurate to the tactile feel than blues. Blacks and reds are similarly un-tactile but blacks require more force.)

RTS: Brown > Blue

MMO: Red > Membrane > Black > Brown (choice for MMOs should be what takes less force because of the spamming required, thus saving your fingers from arthritis!)

Typing: Blue > Green

well i play mostly FPS and i was thinking of getting brown.

60 or 65gramms of actuation force(browns have 45) and a tactile bump, no audible click.

They are like browns, but with a heavier spring and the tactile bump is supposed to be more "intense". I haven't ever played with one, but I will probably order a clear switch soon just so i know if I want one for my next kb, I want to get a wire keycap puller anyways, migh aswell order a switch with it ^^

Clears are cool, I like them but I do prefer the Browns.  Really it's just a more feely Brown but I don't bother with Clears because they adversely affect my typing speed when compared to Browns.  I'm sure after prolonged use I'd be fine but I love the 45g of force level for the Browns and Reds.

My Stuff:  Corsair Obisidan 550D - Phobya Nano-2G 120mm x 5 - Corsair H100i - MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming - Intel 3570K - G.Skill 8GBx2 1866 - EVGA ACX GTX 780 3GB SuperClocked(Step Up to 780 Ti) - Samsung 840 500GB SSD - WD Black 1TB x 2 - LG Blu-ray - ASUS VG248QE + ASUS PB278Q - Corsair M65 with MM400 Pad - Ducky Shine II MX Brown with Gray/White Keycaps - Corsair K70 MX Red - CoolerMaster Quickfire TK MX Brown - Ducky Pro2 MX Blue with Gray PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Clears with Gray/Blue PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Browns with Light Gray and White PBT Keycaps

Clears are cool, I like them but I do prefer the Browns.  Really it's just a more feely Brown but I don't bother with Clears because they adversely affect my typing speed when compared to Browns.  I'm sure after prolonged use I'd be fine but I love the 45g of force level for the Browns and Reds.

I have seen someone swapping the spring in a clear switch for a brown spring, so that it's almost the same actuation force, but more tactile. Do you think you'd like that?

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

Don't choose between a switch by what kind of games you play, choose a switch by what feels best to you. A lot of people say that reds are good for fps gaming or gaming in general, but tbh it probably won't affect your score at all if you switch from one to another. Just try them all out and choose whatever feels best, I personally like blues. People say browns are like silent blues, but I feel like the actuation "bump" is better and more sharp on blue switches. Hope I helped

PC Specs: CPU: i5 3570k @ 4.4Ghz | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-v lx | RAM: 8GB Patriot memory | GPU: EVGA GTX 660 Ti | PSU: Corsair GS500

Peripherals: Keyboard: Corsair K70 Silver/Blue | Mouse: Logitech G500s | Speakers: Logitech Z506 | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144hz monitor 

Don't choose between a switch by what kind of games you play, choose a switch by what feels best to you. A lot of people say that reds are good for fps gaming or gaming in general, but tbh it probably won't affect your score at all if you switch from one to another. Just try them all out and choose whatever feels best, I personally like blues. People say browns are like silent blues, but I feel like the actuation "bump" is better and more sharp on blue switches. Hope I helped

yes you did. im going to try all the switches to see. 

I have seen someone swapping the spring in a clear switch for a brown spring, so that it's almost the same actuation force, but more tactile. Do you think you'd like that?

I probably would.  But, I like the Browns enough that I wouldn't be motivated to do all that on my own LOL

My Stuff:  Corsair Obisidan 550D - Phobya Nano-2G 120mm x 5 - Corsair H100i - MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming - Intel 3570K - G.Skill 8GBx2 1866 - EVGA ACX GTX 780 3GB SuperClocked(Step Up to 780 Ti) - Samsung 840 500GB SSD - WD Black 1TB x 2 - LG Blu-ray - ASUS VG248QE + ASUS PB278Q - Corsair M65 with MM400 Pad - Ducky Shine II MX Brown with Gray/White Keycaps - Corsair K70 MX Red - CoolerMaster Quickfire TK MX Brown - Ducky Pro2 MX Blue with Gray PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Clears with Gray/Blue PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Browns with Light Gray and White PBT Keycaps

I have ordered one of these sampler packs, so excited to get it. Will make a great desk toy as well :D

Another alternative to sampler kits is that Microsoft Stores near you should have mechanical keyboards from Razer on display!

But I can't take those home and play with them at my desk! Also, Razer only does certain switches, if a retail store has them on display at all...., and I don't think they even use o-rings.

Thank you for this link. Same as the OP I am looking for a new mechanical keyboard, but nowhere to try the different switches in stores. Currently using Black switches but after using them for over a year I came to the conclusion they're not suited for me because when spamming keys it starts to hurt quickly and the lack of tactile feedback is making me doubt myself more often.

i5-3570K @stock/Sabertooth Z77/2x4GB Vengeance LP 1600 CL9/EVGA GTX670 @stock/Samsung 830 256GB SSD/Corsair AX850(individualy sleeved cables)/Bitfenix Shinobi XL(window)/Custom loop: Swiftech Apogee HD white/EK-FC670 GTX Nickel Acetal/Alphacool VPP655/Bitspower D5 mod top/Bitspower D5 Top Upgrade Kit 150/Bitspower Black compression fittings/Mayhems Pastel Ice White coolant/2x Alphacool NexXxos XT45 360mm rads/Corsair SP120 QE fans @550rpm/Peripherals: DELL U2711 2560x1440/Samsung T220 1680x1050/Steelseries 6Gv2 keyboard/Logitech G700s mouse/Logitech Z10 speakers/ Sennheiser PC 151 headset/ 2GB + 1GB external USB3 HDDs/DEMCiflex fan filters/OS: Win7 hp 64bit

I have ordered one of these sampler packs, so excited to get it. Will make a great desk toy as well :D

You bet it does, during loading screens or so, playing with the switches is great :D

#KILLEDMYWIFE

Hurrah they have arrived! Browns Clears and Blue are my favourite from testing. (clear being the middle greyish one, didn't come with a brown matching colour keycap)
ftht9v.jpg

I know everyone already mentioned, but thanks for the link. I use Reds with my K95 ,but it would be nice to see how the other ones feel in the event I might change later.

Asus Gryphon w/Thermal Armor / Intel i5 4670K / Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB / Asus ROG Matrix 7970 Platinum / Samsung 830 / Seagate Barracuda

Corsair AX860 / Corsiar 350D / Corsair H100i / Windows 8 Pro