Sony Z3v - AMA

d3sl91

Just got back from an afternoon in 3 different verizon stores, and have a Z3v in my hand.

- I originally went to get a Turbo - and did - and then returned it within an hour.

If anyone has any questions on the Z3v, my experiences, the Z3v vs Turbo, etc. Fire Away.

post-49487-0-05941300-1416812401.jpgpost-49487-0-47273900-1416812484.jpg

post-49487-0-85953000-1416812409.jpg

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

How's the camera?

Good. The F/2.3 allows for some nice depth of field, and the automatic modes are quite adequate for most photos. I will need to wait until daytime, and I will get some comparison shots up.

Will it bend?

It will shatter. (Tempered glass). However, it is similar to the Z2 in the design, and that survives drops pretty well. 

Why did you return the Turbo?

The screen was badly discolored (one half was blue and dark, the other was light and white). Verizon guys tried to argue with me about it, but when turning down the brightness it got tons worse. Looking at the display models, they were better, but still not very uniform (which, as an always-on screen demo unit, I cant say its an issue across the board). The ballistic nylon was also not very good... as in, in a few sections it was protruding, almost like it was fraying out of the box. 

These two issues seem to be going around, and some people are being told they wont cover the fraying nylon people are experiencing after a few days of use.

The above was the main reason I started my quest back to the verizon store, but the following helped in the decision:

• The design is.....uninspiring. I dont really care, as my phones are more of a tool than a fashion statement - but it is what it is. 
  • 3200mAh battery. Less than the 3900 in the turbo, but still way more than in many similarly sized phones
  • Waterproof. The Sony is waterproof, and I live in oregon where it rains.....alot.....
  • Micro-SD slot.

Have you tried hitting it with a hammer?

How much is the retail price off contract? Did Sony keep the quality of their audio DSP on this thing?

So the Z3v is just a little different from the Z2?

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Batteerryyy..

THE ONLY IMPORTANT QUESTION! DAWG!

Can i watch Nyancat 12 hours?

(No im not joking)

Sony rates at 10 hours for HD Video playback.

Do I believe sony? No. Am i able to playback video on my phone for 10 hours.... unfortunately not..... as I need my phone for work. 

It is a Z2. But with Verizon branding. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

:(

My Z1 (3000mAh) lasts me a day with 50%-40% left over. 

It is a big battery, and the Sony battery saving options do help it out.

The Turbo is the next best.

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Have you tried hitting it with a hammer?

How much is the retail price off contract? Did Sony keep the quality of their audio DSP on this thing?

$599 off contract.

post-49487-0-41632700-1416814911.png

DSP Exists. Playing some Aoki with everything maxed (including special effect bass setting) resulted in no noticable distortion.

Also, it can power M50x 'Phones pretty well. Max volume was too much for me, so that's good. 

It is a Z2. But with Verizon branding. 

Yeah. Faster clocked CPU, and supposedly the same screen from the Z3 (Not really sure about that though, mixed results on that). 

+ Wireless Charging

+ Better IP rating (wo hoo....)

Disappointed that it isn't a Z3? A little. Am I excited to have a Sony Mobile? Heck Yes.

My Z1 (3000mAh) lasts me a day with 50%-40% left over. 

It is a big battery, and the Sony battery saving options do help it out.

The Turbo is the next best.

@CatCloud - if you are playing SD files, from the unit, with the radio off, then yeah, I'd say 12 is very possible. 

http://blog.gsmarena.com/sony-xperia-z2-battery-test/ here is the Z2 in a video test. 12h16m video playback.