Far Cry 4....

Spev

So I decided to run MSI afterburner on screen display. It seems it rarely goes below 60 fps, and when it does it's a spike. However I notice some skips and stuff like that even when the FPS is over 60fps?

this is know as Microstutter. It's a feature of Ubisoft games. Most of the frames are rendered fast But an occasional frame takes too long to render causing a hiccup. Don't be too hard on your 970, it's not the issue. You cannot judge by Ubisoft games.

Some time back i argued that badly made games should not be used as benchmarks to judge hardware, But most on this forum disagree with me.

http://www.linustechtips.com/main/topic/190545-using-badly-made-games-as-benchmarks/

I do not disagree! I think crap coded games should be excluded from benchmarks too! They should refuse to benchmark all Ubicrap games in my opinion! That is not at all a accurate test of any Video cards capability!  If they fix them then yeah, Like Assassin's Creed Unity for example! It is obvious it is not much more graphically advancd than the third one and Black Flag, And yet they claim you need at the very least a 7970 and a GTX 680, That is just basically Ubicrap lying about how advanced a game is, and using bloated PC specs to cover for the games horrible performance, because they either want to pretend it is more advanced than it is, Or they just do not care about ever fixing it's performance just like they did Watch Dogs. So no they should never use those for benchmarking. Something has got to give with this! If not they are going to walk all over gamers in the future! They pretty much are now!

CPU: Intel i5 3470@3.8ghz, Motherboard: Biostar TZ77A, Ram: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600, GPU: EVGA SC GTX 970 ACX 2.0 , PSU: Corsair CX600, Case: Antec 300, OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64

I strongly disagree! A old i7 980 or even the lesser i7 920 or even my old i5 750 would be nowhere near a bottleneck to a GPU twice as powerful as even the GTX 980! Even the old i5's and i3's are still fine for new GPU's! I have no idea why people think that! The problem is the game says by Ubicrap on it! ANd it is going to take about 8 months maybe longer before Ubicrap even fixes this. It might even be never! Look at Watch Dogs! People just need to stop buying Ubisoft period!

Despite me sounding like a dick, you're absolutely wrong. They are NOT fine due to the IPC of the CPUs. Upgrading to a comparable haswell or Ivy Bridge-E CPU etc would give massive improvements in various applications. You would not know until you try, however I do quite a lot of streaming and other CPU intensive tasks. I can GUARANTEE YOU that an i7-950 versus a simple haswell i7 at 3.5GHz is a gigantic increase, and it will reflect this in games which have limited CPU usage counts (such as Tomb Raider 2013, which barely uses CPU at all, but still benefits from better CPU architectures).

I am NOT arguing the fact that games are very unoptimized and should not need any i7 CPUs if they look like the console versions on a PC, but at the same time, when you're going for higher resolutions and framerates (especially with a 120Hz screen etc) the CPU begins to show its slowness. I'm actually looking to get some CLU thermal paste, a 4900MQ CPU and the stronger CPU heatsink for my machine so I can keep a 4.2GHz daily clock on this thing for streaming and games like Battlefield 4 etc which give me random, unnecessary FPS drops while I still have spare GPU util etc.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

they claim you need at the very least a 7970 and a GTX 680, That is just basically Ubicrap lying about how advanced a game is, and using bloated PC specs to cover for the games horrible performance, because they either want to pretend it is more advanced than it is

The sad part is many benchmark junkies in the PC world fall for it and think that such games are good and that they push hardware to the limits, and encourage people to upgrade etc...

You will see posts online saying stuff like "finally something that pushes my ____".

They don't understand that anybody can make a game which brings hardware to it's knees. The skill is in using available GPU resources (within reason) in an efficient manner to create a beautiful scene. If you require significantly more GPU resources than other developers do then you better have a lot to show for it on screen.

purchased a GTX 970 . So far I'm pretty disappointed in how my game is playing and it seems realllly choppy especially when I am in a vehicle or running.

Farcry 4 is doing that to everyone (some worse than others)

There are workarounds, but they have negatives...

In 'My Documents/My Games/Farcry 4/GamerProfile.xml

Rightclick, Edit or open with notepad/wordpad

Find these two values and set them like they are below.

DisableLoadingMip0="0" <-default is 1, turn to 0

GPUMaxBufferedFrames="1"<- default is 0, turn to 1

Disabling Mips stops the stutter,..can give a small set of lower quality textures on the ground (which you NEVER STARE at while playing anyway)

This took care of 90% of the stutter when not driving, and gets rid of some driving stutter too.

Until it's patched, this is the way to play it right now... you've experienced already how bad it CAN be.. try this and be amazeballs!

ALSO!!!

The DualCore FIX @ComradeHX

http://www.4shared.com/archive/QPH8tQmxce/Dual_Core_Fix.html

Alternative sites to Download - http://www.multiupfile.com/f/3fc26958

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6T4XM-agv0

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz