Someone is remote controlling me

majorawsome
Go to solution Solved by majorawsome,

Sorry to rectify this thread, but I found out why I was being remote controlled..... I was RATted...

RAT stands for Remote Administration Tools, which allows people to remote control your computer.

The only way to removes this is (AFAIK) is to whipe your computer completely. 100% of it. That is all.

More info here -> http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/03/12/the-disturbing-technique-used-to-control-computers-and-spy-through-webcams-that-you-should-know-about/

Computer OS - Windows 8 Pro

Problem: Someone is remote controlling me and I don't know why or how.

How do I know? The first time they did it they were taking over my computer, going to the start screen and typing "have fun". From there I installed Comodo Firewall, which did not help, so I reinstalled windows 8. not refresh, reinstall. I then installed the full suite of comodo software and changed my Microsoft Account password. From then on I THINK I have been getting hacked still, because whenever I watch Youtube videos sometimes the mouse moves a little. I am a desktop user but I know I am not touching my mouse. Also today a little box came up on my screen saying "button disabled", when I was not touching the keyboard. (I have a Microsoft SideWinder x4 and that little box is apart of the drivers for it, because it has different modes where certain buttons are disabled. Currently I am in mode one which I believe allows all keys.

I am also on an unprotected network (My family's wireless) but we live out in rural areas, although my wifi can reach my neighbors house. Will putting a wireless password on it help? Does anyone know what is going on?

PLEASE HELP ME! I have important stuff on my computer and I don't want anyone touching my personal belongings!

Do you want to know what grinds my gears?
The old forum.

Put a password on your network. And check if there's an extra USB dongle on your computer or something, in case someone is just trolling you.

I will do that tonight. No USB dongle on my computer. Does a password on a router really protect you from that?

The old forum.

I will do that tonight. No USB dongle on my computer. Does a password on a router really protect you from that?

Yeah, it's not that hard to access other computers on the same network.

I'm more of a programmer than a network know it all. Thanks Arkon

The old forum.

Do you have any remote access tools installed?

logmein

teamviewer

..etc..

I suggest you try changing your user password on your computer. If it's a local log in they still require the username and login password. although easy to get around if it's someone local trolling you it should stop them.

Another option if it is a program that is running in the background. you can try the following Run > msconfig > General. Then selective startup and uncheck services and startup items. This will have your computer boot without any pre-loading Will make your boot time much quicker as well. of course any commonly used programs will need to be launched manually.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

If your comfortable with your router you can enable a Mac Address Whitelist it can be spoofed, disconnect your router from the outside world and disable wireless protocols while you're working on it.

Run wireshark in the background and when your computers getting attacked you'll learn quick enough who's doing it.

A few things on your router to try.

• Add the Mac Address's of each of the devices in your house to the whitelist.
  • Add a WPA2 key to your router.
  • Create a custom SSID.
  • Turn on Logging/Auditing.
  • Increase your firewall settings on the router.
  • Enable administration passwords and accounts on the router.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Do you have any remote access tools installed?

logmein

teamviewer

..etc..

I suggest you try changing your user password on your computer. If it's a local log in they still require the username and login password. although easy to get around if it's someone local trolling you it should stop them.

Another option if it is a program that is running in the background. you can try the following Run > msconfig > General. Then selective startup and uncheck services and startup items. This will have your computer boot without any pre-loading Will make your boot time much quicker as well. of course any commonly used programs will need to be launched manually.

I have team viewer before I formatted because I thought that was how they were getting in, but then they got in again so then I formatted my hard drive and reinstalled WIndows. I just switched to a local account and turned off all remote desktop capabilities at boot. (Pretty sure that disables them but I don't use it that often)

The old forum.

I once thought someone had hijacked my system as the mouse kept randomly clicking and moving, then after spending a while monitoring the traffic i realized that i had accidentally recorded a macro on the mouse and assigned it to right click so i would check that as that might explain phantom mouse movements. 

Check that your computer is not set as a DMZ,  try running nestat-b from an elevated command line and see what processes are communicating over the network. Did you allow any friends to be alone with the computer or siblings etc? as they may have connected a USB device to an internal header  to troll you. To be honest i doubt that if you were being remote controlled they would make it obvious to you unless they have no malicious intent as it is much more effective to maintain a persistent backdoor to a computer than to type in a  GUI for the user to see.  

Make sure you're using the WPA2 password. The WEP is too easy to break.

Also, if you think it's someone from your network, be sure to check the client list on your router. You'll see all devices connected to your network. And if you want the best security for your network, set up your router to deny all other MAC addresses than you and your family is using. You can also always hide the broadcasting of your SSID.

MB: Asus Z97-A | CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 780 Ti Gejmink 3G | Memory: Σ32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Samsung EVO 850 250GB | HDD: Σ2TB WD Blues | PSU: Seasonic 750W 80+ Silver | Case: Antec P182 | Cooling: Noctua NH-C14, all case fans Noctua | Monitors: Asus ROG Swift PG279Q + 2x Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA | Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-A900 (closed) & Hifiman HE-350 (open) | Speakers: M-Audio BX5a Deluxe | Mic: M-Audio Producer | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 rip midclick Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 (Cherry MX Blue)

Yes. It'll also scramble anything sent between the router and the connected device, so no one can see what you're doing. (Assuming you're connected wirelessly anyways. Can't intercept a hard wired connection)

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Yes. It'll also scramble anything sent between the router and the connected device, so no one can see what you're doing. (Assuming you're connected wirelessly anyways. Can't intercept a hard wired connection)

If you have physical access, then yes you can.

It's not the fact we're putting encryption on your device, we're locking a random user out. Not sure why you wouldn't already have this. 

If you have physical access, then yes you can.

Yes, if they have physical access, but assuming they don't, you cannot access it if they cannot get into your network. Still, a passcode on your router should be a given. Should.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

THanks for the help guys. I put a wpa2 password on the router. Don't think I'll do mac address because it would be inconvenient for people who come over...

The old forum.

THanks for the help guys. I put a wpa2 password on the router. Don't think I'll do mac address because it would be inconvenient for people who come over...

Not so..You just need to add them to the white list once.The benefit of a MAC address filter will far out shine the few seconds of time needed to insure your network is safe..

Have you hidden your SSID..?

Your best effort is the easiest thing to give to someone else..

Check windows remote control settings?

Why do i always get blue screens? Why not a red one for a change?

Spoiler

CPU: 2920x  GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor X  MOBO: X399 Taichi  RAM: 4x 8GB Trident Z RGN 3200/14  CASE: 900D  OS SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 512GB  Storage: 20TB NAS  PSU: Corsair RM1000i  CPU COOLER: NH-U14S TR4 OS: Arch Linux Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 TKL  Mouse: MX Master 2S Headphones: BD DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm

Reminds me of when my father put a monitoring software on my computer when I was like 13 just in case I was looking at inappropriate material.. then he proceeded to make this whole joke for a whole month thinking that I had a hacker on my computer. He would send messages like "hacked hahah" "good luck" and turn my screensaver on and off, restart my computer, and all sorts of things. One day, i was looking at his computer and saw this program and I figured out it was him because I saw a keylogger of things I typed previously, so I was like really mad and asked him about it. He admitted to it but said it was all in good fun, so.. I guess it was a good joke.. :p In YOUR case, I doubt your father is paying tricks on you on the other computer. It's good you put a password on the wifi, hopefully that will help.

Motherboard - ASUS P6X58D-E Processor - Intel i7 930 Bloomfield OC'd @ 4.01Ghz, 1.28v | RAM - 12GB Corsair Dominator @ 8-8-8-12, 1600mhz | Graphics Card - EVGA Geforce GTX660 SC 3GB @ +75mhz core, +500mhz mem | Power Supply - Seasonic X650 Gold

CPU Cooler, Fans - Corsair H-90 w/ Noctua FN14 push/pull, Gelid Wings UV Blue  | Case - Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2 |

Not so..You just need to add them to the white list once.The benefit of a MAC address filter will far out shine the few seconds of time needed to insure your network is safe..

Have you hidden your SSID..?

Nope. I don't live close to many people. My neighbor can get it but he has to sit in the yard XD

Check windows remote control settings?

Yep, Remote Control settings are disabled, also disabled services associated with it.

Reminds me of when my father put a monitoring software on my computer when I was like 13 just in case I was looking at inappropriate material.. then he proceeded to make this whole joke for a whole month thinking that I had a hacker on my computer. He would send messages like "hacked hahah" "good luck" and turn my screensaver on and off, restart my computer, and all sorts of things. One day, i was looking at his computer and saw this program and I figured out it was him because I saw a keylogger of things I typed previously, so I was like really mad and asked him about it. He admitted to it but said it was all in good fun, so.. I guess it was a good joke.. :P In YOUR case, I doubt your father is paying tricks on you on the other computer. It's good you put a password on the wifi, hopefully that will help.

My dad defiantly doesn't know how to do that. he has me help him with his mini ipad all the time lol.

The old forum.

When you re-installed Windows, did you re-format the drive? If not, and you still have problems, I'd suggest you back up anything you want to keep, re-format all drives, and re-install Windows.

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

When you re-installed Windows, did you re-format the drive? If not, and you still have problems, I'd suggest you back up anything you want to keep, re-format all drives, and re-install Windows.

I did. I backed up my documents folder onto my thumbrive and wiped it.

The old forum.

For protection purposes, if you have another computer lieing around, disconnect your computer first (the one being invaded). Then connect the other computer and start configuring protection mechanisms (like WPA2). Be mindful since your computer has already been invaded, change the SSID and hide it, and DO NOT MAC FILTER (kindly capps was to emphasise importantness).

The reason being is the device that invaded your computer, has probably taken all mac-address's for each computer/device connected to your network, so no use in filtering as the person probably has each mac-address for each device, in case you block someone they can duplicate the address (If a person can hack remote into a computer, I'm sure they can collect network information). It is not reliable enough, but better that WEP (wayyyyyy better).

For even more added security, I would back-up and format and make another computer the main computer connected to the router.

I hope I helped :D

EDIT: Sorry delayed Response.

So currently nothing is going on. Thanks for all of your help! If something arises again I will post in this thread! (Unless it is dead)

The old forum.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to rectify this thread, but I found out why I was being remote controlled..... I was RATted...

RAT stands for Remote Administration Tools, which allows people to remote control your computer.

The only way to removes this is (AFAIK) is to whipe your computer completely. 100% of it. That is all.

More info here -> http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/03/12/the-disturbing-technique-used-to-control-computers-and-spy-through-webcams-that-you-should-know-about/

The old forum.