LinusTechTips @Folding Team - Important Info Inside

Help Can't get through "Attempting to get work packet"

[20:04:09] Loaded queue successfully.

[20:04:09] Initialization complete

[20:04:09] - Preparing to get new work unit...

[20:04:09] - Presenting message box asking to network.

[20:04:18] + Attempting to get work packet

[20:04:18] - Connecting to assignment server

[20:04:24] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.

[20:04:24] + Couldn't get work instructions.

[20:04:24] - Attempt #1 to get work failed, and no other work to do.

Waiting before retry.

[20:04:43] + Attempting to get work packet

[20:04:43] - Connecting to assignment server

[20:04:43] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.

[20:04:43] + Couldn't get work instructions.

[20:04:43] - Attempt #2 to get work failed, and no other work to do.

Waiting before retry.

[20:05:01] + Attempting to get work packet

[20:05:01] - Connecting to assignment server

[20:05:01] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.

[20:05:01] + Couldn't get work instructions.

Keeps attempting but keeps failing...

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Help Can't get through "Attempting to get work packet"

[20:04:09] Loaded queue successfully.

[20:04:09] Initialization complete

[20:04:09] - Preparing to get new work unit...

[20:04:09] - Presenting message box asking to network.

[20:04:18] + Attempting to get work packet

[20:04:18] - Connecting to assignment server

[20:04:24] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.

[20:04:24] + Couldn't get work instructions.

[20:04:24] - Attempt #1 to get work failed, and no other work to do.

Waiting before retry.

[20:04:43] + Attempting to get work packet

[20:04:43] - Connecting to assignment server

[20:04:43] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.

[20:04:43] + Couldn't get work instructions.

[20:04:43] - Attempt #2 to get work failed, and no other work to do.

Waiting before retry.

[20:05:01] + Attempting to get work packet

[20:05:01] - Connecting to assignment server

[20:05:01] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.

[20:05:01] + Couldn't get work instructions.

Keeps attempting but keeps failing...

Looks like for some reason it cannot find the server - is this one trying to submit a completed WU or to download a new one? Can you surf the internet on the box? :) Also in the error log, will usually give the IP of the servers. What GPU or CPU is this slot for?

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Trying to get a new work unit. What do you mean by surf the internet on the box? Um I dont know what slot it is sry still getting used to folding@home and have no experience in it except just leaving it on and folding...

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

OK, couple of things. On that computer, can you get to the Internet? Can you get to www.google.ca or ping 8.8.8.8? I have seen people trouble shoot issue when for some reason the box got knocked off the local network without them even realizing. :) I know, something simple... but, should be the first thing to check.

Next - in the FAH Control window - on the right hand side, you should see a little drop down box saying Novice, Advanced or Expert. If you don't see that, just maximize the program. Change the drop down to Expert. You know have a more detailed display and should be able to see your SMP slot and GPU slot (if using one). Also, you know see three tabs - Status, System Info and Log.

Sorry - probably have all this already since you got some log info...

In the Log tab, you can click on the Slot box to narrow things down.... Does it give any other errors or codes when you do this?

What kind of video card do you have in the computer? Almost sounds like you have an older one that there are no WU's for anymore...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

I had this earlier after deleting a slow WUs data.. had to delete most the other data in my AppData, not sure why.. Internet was fine

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

I joined the LTT folding team some hours ago =) have been folding since then.

BTW have they somehow lowered the usage of your cpu when running FAH compared to some months ago?

I remembered my computer running so hot that i dident even feel comftable running it just a few months ago so i uninstalled it but now the tempratures are way better.

BTW have they somehow lowered the usage of your cpu when running FAH compared to some months ago?

I remembered my computer running so hot that i dident even feel comftable running it just a few months ago so i uninstalled it but now the tempratures are way better.

Welcome to the team. Folding still uses 100% of your cpu if the system is idle, but it backs off when you are using it. As far as heat goes, if you have a muilticore processor you can set folding to not uses all of the cores to keep the temperatures down. Obviously you'll get less PPD though. Overall folding is a power hungry, heat generating activity, hope you have a decent CPU cooler :)

"Wisdom III" AMD FX 8120 @ 4.1Ghz // Biostar TA990FXE // 16GB GeIL Black Dragon (8x2) // Saphire HD 7870 OC Edition // CORSAIR TX850M // Curcial M4 64GB (boot) // Seagate Barracuda Green 1.5TB (storage) // Cooler Master Hyper N 520 // Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Welcome to the team!

Well boys and girls, we broke 11 Million points and broke into the top 1000 teams ranking! Way to go gang!

Well boys and girls, we broke 11 Million points and broke into the top 1000 teams ranking! Way to go gang!
Don't break to many things! :p

Just wondering, if I OC my 3770 to 4.5ghz~, how much of a change of PPD do you think I would get?
Hard to say, what's your setup and PPD now?

I think i have a stability issue. I can run Prime 95 for 3 days and be fine, but after I fold for more then 7 days it crashes. I might have to bump up the voltage a bit. I am overclock to 5 Ghz with Water.

What voltage are you at? BTW - 5Ghz is more then Intel recommends for a 7/24 overclock....

Just realized i am actually running at 4.5 OC for 24/7

Cpu Offset voltage is .030 (Just turned it up to .035)

Cpu-z says 1.2 volts at full load. (62C while folding)

Doesn't seem to high.

Ya my 5 Ghz OC was for fun not 24/7 got mixed up.

That's good. :) Rest of your settings look fine... Maybe a wee tad more voltage if the offset doesn't help...

OK, couple of things. On that computer, can you get to the Internet? Can you get to www.google.ca or ping 8.8.8.8? I have seen people trouble shoot issue when for some reason the box got knocked off the local network without them even realizing. :) I know, something simple... but, should be the first thing to check.

Next - in the FAH Control window - on the right hand side, you should see a little drop down box saying Novice, Advanced or Expert. If you don't see that, just maximize the program. Change the drop down to Expert. You know have a more detailed display and should be able to see your SMP slot and GPU slot (if using one). Also, you know see three tabs - Status, System Info and Log.

In the Log tab, you can click on the Slot box to narrow things down.... Does it give any other errors or codes when you do this?

What kind of video card do you have in the computer? Almost sounds like you have an older one that there are no WU's for anymore...

I dont think I have all your options that u are talking about Using Version 6.23... Um my gpu is a gma 945 integrated so it wont display the folding...

Ya - upgrade to version 7 - LOT better. :) Unless you using a linux version - then 6.34 is the latest I believe...

ok going to try it...

woah Version 7 Is alot more advanced :D

I'm an avid reader of the forum but not a regular poster and I thought I'd contribute to the community (and science :p) by starting to fold on my main rig a little bit.

As I'm in exams it's currently idling most of the time while I google stuff :p so it might aswell do something usefull.

Currently It's a 3770k @ 4,23 GHz and a GTX 660 ti and it's earning me about 60k PPD.

Here's my question though. I used to have a rig with GTX 260 in SLI. One I gave to my girlfriend but the other is just sitting here in my desk. Collecting dust.

Is it worth putting the GTX 260 in and let it fold on it's own without the GTX 660 ti and the 3770k?

The idea is to let the card fold while I keep doing other stuff without any performance loss when my exams are done.

I have no idea how much PPD the old card will get. It's an old card but I thought every bit could help :)

Thanks in advance,

Mooru

I'm an avid reader of the forum but not a regular poster and I thought I'd contribute to the community (and science :p) by starting to fold on my main rig a little bit.

As I'm in exams it's currently idling most of the time while I google stuff :p so it might aswell do something usefull.

Currently It's a 3770k @ 4,23 GHz and a GTX 660 ti and it's earning me about 60k PPD.

Here's my question though. I used to have a rig with GTX 260 in SLI. One I gave to my girlfriend but the other is just sitting here in my desk. Collecting dust.

Is it worth putting the GTX 260 in and let it fold on it's own without the GTX 660 ti and the 3770k?

The idea is to let the card fold while I keep doing other stuff without any performance loss when my exams are done.

I have no idea how much PPD the old card will get. It's an old card but I thought every bit could help :)

Thanks in advance,

Mooru

It is one of those things you would have to test. Slot in the 260, run it and pause the other Slots and see what kind of PPD you get from it. There are a lot of variables involved so hard to say. Based on heat and PPD, you can then decide if it is worth it for you. I think the 260 card though should give you a decent return.

Thanks in advance,

Mooru

Thanks man, I've thrown the GTX 260 in. But now my GTX 660 ti refuses to fold and I can't seem to get the settings for it right. The GTX 260 did start to fold after changing the opencl-index and cuda-index to 1.

But under ppd I'm getting the message 'unknown'. Same thing with credits. So yeah it's folding but I have no idea how productive it's actually being.

Thanks in advance,

Mooru

My 640 has also been very picky when other NVidia cards are installed. So - I only fold multiple of the same card. :) On some of my other posts (and maybe in the fact) I mentioned installing FAH in "manual" mode and not "service" mode which sometimes help some of these detection issues on GPU's.

So basically if i have a 660 as my main gpu, and a 610 to the side, i can put them both in the pc and fold on the 610 and game on the 660? Am i right? 'cause this will be so freakin' awsome

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

Yes, you can - couple of options - just delete the GPU slot that uses the 660 and you are good. Or, like me, I fold on both my 6870's - but when I game, I pause the main 6870 while I game. Second one continues to fold along nicely. Note - this only valid when i play games that don't support Crossfire. When I do, I simply pause both. When done - enable folding again...