LinusTechTips @Folding Team - Important Info Inside

It's what I'm doing currently with my GTX 260. It is folding. But I'm not running it on my cpu or GTX 660 ti. I just played Far Cry 3 on max settings and 2x AA on about 40 fps. That's the same as before I started folding.

The only thing that still bugs me out is that it doesn't show me my PPD for the GTX 260. I don't know how much it is doing and if it would be doing something stupid like 1000 PPD I'd rather get it out and not let it consume 150+ Watts. But untill I find out how much it exactly does, I'll happily let it fold for a while.

Cheers for the help Whaler. I tried reinstalling it in manual mode but no luck. And I've tried more combinations with cuda-index and opencl-index to get it too work but no luck. Regardless, thanks for the tip :)

It's what I'm doing currently with my GTX 260. It is folding. But I'm not running it on my cpu or GTX 660 ti. I just played Far Cry 3 on max settings and 2x AA on about 40 fps. That's the same as before I started folding.

The only thing that still bugs me out is that it doesn't show me my PPD for the GTX 260. I don't know how much it is doing and if it would be doing something stupid like 1000 PPD I'd rather get it out and not let it consume 150+ Watts. But untill I find out how much it exactly does, I'll happily let it fold for a while.

Cheers for the help Whaler. I tried reinstalling it in manual mode but no luck. And I've tried more combinations with cuda-index and opencl-index to get it too work but no luck. Regardless, thanks for the tip :)

On a side note, I forgot how hot and loud the GTX 260 was. Good old days :)

Heat your room with it. :) I heat my basement with the farm....

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Milestones - Both myself and Jimbo have pushed past the 2 Million mark. Yeah! The team itself is now pushing into the 13 Million area in total points. Double Yeah! And we are about the break the coverted top 800 teams ranking. :D

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Heat your room with it. :) I heat my basement with the farm....
I used to do that when I had them in SLI. I live on and old farm and the electric wiring actually had it's best time. In winter we do actually get a powercut now and again when all the heating is turned on. So I didn't plug anything in except for my pc and turned the heating completely down. To keep warm I turned my rig around and put my feet against the back exhaust of the 260's. Bad for airflow but atleast my feet were warm :p

During summer it was unbearable to play nearly any game whatsoever without having to turn the airconditioning up and dying from dehydration :p

Some things to keep in mind if you do choose install F@H or any other distributed computing program on your PC.

* If you are not the owner of the PC ask before installing any software.

* If you are not the person responsible for paying the electric bill ask before you start leaving your PC on 24/7 because it can get expensive depending on how much power your PC uses.

* It is generally not the best Idea to run F@H on laptops and AIO PCs since they have a much less cooling capacity than most desktop computers.

* 24/7 folding machines require periodic maintenance to maintain good airflow that provides proper cooling. (all PC's should be maintained but 24/7 machines generally need it more often)

Some things to keep in mind if you do choose install F@H or any other distributed computing program on your PC.

* If you are not the owner of the PC ask before installing any software.

* If you are not the person responsible for paying the electric bill ask before you start leaving your PC on 24/7 because it can get expensive depending on how much power your PC uses.

* It is generally not the best Idea to run F@H on laptops and AIO PCs since they have a much less cooling capacity than most desktop computers.

* 24/7 folding machines require periodic maintenance to maintain good airflow that provides proper cooling. (all PC's should be maintained but 24/7 machines generally need it more often)

All good points....

Congrats to Randal on breaking 1 Million points mark! Very nice!

Just joined a couple days ago and now I'm ranked 29. You guys on top are going so fast though!

I can only run it when I am gone at school and work but I am glad I can put my overclocking to a good use.

Just joined a couple days ago and now I'm ranked 29. You guys on top are going so fast though! I can only run it when I am gone at school and work but I am glad I can put my overclocking to a good use.

Give your overclock a workout :)

Good to have you in our team mate :D

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

I'd be in for it, I have an old gaming system that s fully built and sitting idle and I want to start folding. (965BE and a GTX 460)

I'll be using my main rig alot too, as I never turn it off and I might as well but it to use.

Also, as at the time of this post I can't access the site for the passkey.

Cas's spec's(800D):
3570k @ 4.7GHz
H100 Push/Pull SP120's
GTX 680 @ 1345MHZ w/ DWOOD Brack & Antec 620
16GB 1866MHz Dominator Platinum
ASRock z77 Extreme 6
128GB Vertex 4
2 x 1TB WD Caviar Blue
B/W sleeved Corsair HX1000

I'd be in for it' date=' I have an old gaming system that s fully built and sitting idle and I want to start folding. (965BE and a GTX 460) I'll be using my main rig alot too, as I never turn it off and I might as well but it to use. Also, as at the time of this post I can't access the site for the passkey. [/quote']

Welcome to the gang. Yep, looks like the passkey site is down right now...

I'm happy to report thar my 965BE rig is folding at 25000ppd and when my main rig is folding its doing 55000ppd. Also, my constant folder is running 4Gb of 1066 DDR2 on a non OC capable mobo, would spending the $90 to upgrade to an oc capable mobo and 8gb 1600mhz ddr3 give me significant gains while folding? (I currently have a coolermaster v8 on the CPU so load right now it's temps are only 48*C)

Cas's spec's(800D):
3570k @ 4.7GHz
H100 Push/Pull SP120's
ASRock z77 Extreme 6
128GB Vertex 4
2 x 1TB WD Caviar Blue

Well, more RAM won't make any difference. Folding is all CPU or GPU based. As for overclocking - no idea really. Remember, the solicon lottery. You may get a OC board and find you cannot really over clock your chip much. Which means not worth it. But maybe you can get a massive over clock. Then ya, you may squeak out a few extra k of PPD - but also remember, then you are drawing more power, expelling more heat, etc. It's a toss up. If you have $90 burning a hole in your pocket, go for it and see. :D

Well, more RAM won't make any difference. Folding is all CPU or GPU based. As for overclocking - no idea really. Remember, the solicon lottery. You may get a OC board and find you cannot really over clock your chip much. Which means not worth it. But maybe you can get a massive over clock. Then ya, you may squeak out a few extra k of PPD - but also remember, then you are drawing more power, expelling more heat, etc. It's a toss up. If you have $90 burning a hole in your pocket, go for it and see. :D
Mmk, I'll just hold onto my money then. I'm a University student so the moment $90 gets anywhere near my pocket it usually goes to pay-down my debt to the bank of mom (Luckily it's 0% interest :P) or to the actual bank for car insurance/tuition next year.

Cas's spec's(800D):
3570k @ 4.7GHz
H100 Push/Pull SP120's
ASRock z77 Extreme 6
128GB Vertex 4
2 x 1TB WD Caviar Blue

Good choice :D

Our next milestone would be making it to the top 500 which would be amazing considering the team only started in 1 month ago and we've gaining the ranks at a fast pace. I do believe we can go even higher if Linus would tell everyone on the Livestream about this. I managed to get Slick to remind himself to mention it in the next stream :D

Hopefully they do remember. :) At last check we had 93 members with a good majority of them active which is great.

93 is solid but we going to need a heck to really push up that rank as now we slowly going up.

Yep - now we are playing with the big boys - most of the teams now generate a fair amount of PPD per 24 hrs...Anyone got a 4P system they not using? :D

I think maybe we should all chip in and build one for the collective. I mean if everyone can chip in between $50 and $100 we can build a beastly Opteron system.

Cas's spec's(800D):
3570k @ 4.7GHz
H100 Push/Pull SP120's
ASRock z77 Extreme 6
128GB Vertex 4
2 x 1TB WD Caviar Blue

A decent 4P system nowadays, I recon I could get the parts for in around $4,000. The hardest part though is covering power costs and cooling the bloody thing. I saw some pretty sweet builds with customs water cooler setups..

A custom loop is definitely the best way to go about it. As for power we're talking what, 1000W? So at average 10 cents/KWh your looking at a little under $900/year or $75 a month to power it. Distribute that cost across 1000 members and we're talking cents on the dollar for people to be a part of this project, unless someone were to contribute and immense amount of start-up capital. Is there a way to distribute the points it generates across multiple accounts?

Or we just give it it's own account because with that much processing power it's bound to be damn near sentient.

Cas's spec's(800D):
3570k @ 4.7GHz
H100 Push/Pull SP120's
ASRock z77 Extreme 6
128GB Vertex 4
2 x 1TB WD Caviar Blue

Well, folding is more a personal choice. :) So I wouldn't expect any users to contribute if someone decided to run a 4P system, especially with maintenance costs. And no, all points have to be linked to a specific user account. It's a dream - maybe some day...