I5 4460 Bottleneck a Gtx 970?

hasn't that been said each generation before? Like I said the current gen I5 out performs later gen i7s right now even in games that use hyperthreading.

It's only a matter of time now the games are all being developped using multiple threads all the latest AAA titles that i've tested all use at least 6 main threads (heck even the new call of duty if highly multi-threaded) and it's only a question of time but the ivy-bridge i7 will prove to be slightly superior to haswell i5 overtime.

the new consoles are out now and the games developped for them only begin to launch and scratch the surface of what multi-threading can bring to advanced 3d gaming.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I5 is all you need for gaming. The i7 is by no means superior than an i5 in games. Current gen i5 beats last gen i7 in most if not all games even ones that take advantage of hyperthreading. So enough with the "future proofing" BS. The 4790k is only slightly faster because yes the clock speed is more, not worth the extra money when you can just overclock the i5. I'm not bashing the i7 its just not needed for games if that's all you are going to do.

If the clock bump doesn't matter, then what's the point of the significant added platform cost of a 4690k, Z97 board, and aftermarket heatsink vs a locked i5 and an H97 board? Or even an original Haswell i5 and an H81 or B85 board? Clock speed can't not matter one second and then be important the next.

If the clock bump doesn't matter, then what's the point of the significant added platform cost of a 4690k, Z97 board, and aftermarket heatsink vs a locked i5 and an H97 board? Or even an original Haswell i5 and an H81 or B85 board? Clock speed can't not matter one second and then be important the next.

what happens in most cases is that both the games and the GPU's arent advanced enough at this point in time to make good use of faster CPU's with more threads...a core i3 3.4ghz can run most games at max settings with a GTX 980 and not be a significant bottleneck...all we do basicaly in buying such strong CPU's and overclocking them is building power house for future more advanced games that we will likely have to play with stronger GPUs as well to notice a better performance.

As much as some may don't like the terminology for it, we are ''future-proofing''...not saying we build future-proof machine, but we certainly overshoot on the CPU a fair bit to allow more GPU upgrades without having to build on a new platform over and over again...at least that's the way i see it.

In my case the i7 was only about 50$ more than the i5 when i bought into it so i think i made the right choice, and i was lucky enough to not to have to cut anywhere esle on my build to afford it, i still got my SSD's and the GTX 780ti was out of price range anyways (well i could have afforded it but the 800$ pricetag vs the 480$ i paid for the 780 was too much of a gap for me)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Are you sure you read my post? Where did i say clock speed doesn't matter? I said the 4790k is faster because of the higher clock speed.

It's only a matter of time now the games are all being developped using multiple threads all the latest AAA titles that i've tested all use at least 6 main threads (heck even the new call of duty if highly multi-threaded) and it's only a question of time but the ivy-bridge i7 will prove to be slightly superior to haswell i5 overtime.

the new consoles are out now and the games developped for them only begin to launch and scratch the surface of what multi-threading can bring to advanced 3d gaming.

They may use multiple threads but does that really matter yet? No, the i5 is still neck and neck with the i7. Again just hopes and dreams you can't just say well future games the i7 will be better it has been said before and still hasn't happened.  You should know you can't future proof anything in the tech world,

These consoles are already outdated that's nothing new. The  way games have been coming out on them doesn't look promising.

Farcry 4 doesn't seem to care about hyper-threading.

post-57628-0-88150500-1416340627.jpg

attachicon.giffarcry.jpg

Lower that screen resolution and put me two of these GTX980 to really show what cpu's are capable of and seperate the boys and you'll see what i mean.

i have far cry 4 and it run's only 6-7 significant thread, it's not the best multi-threaded game but it is a new modern game indeed.

Are you sure you read my post? Where did i say clock speed doesn't matter? I said the 4790k is faster because of the higher clock speed.

They may use multiple threads but does that really matter yet? No, the i5 is still neck and neck with the i7. Again just hopes and dreams you can't just say well future games the i7 will be better it has been said before and still hasn't happened.  You should know you can't future proof anything in the tech world,

These consoles are already outdated that's nothing new. The  way games have been coming out on them doesn't look promising.

attachicon.giffarcry.jpg

You said the performance boost from the clock bump was slight. Then what's the point of spending on a 4690k over a 4460, 4590, or 4690? I don't get the 4690k at all.

what happens in most cases is that both the games and the GPU's arent advanced enough at this point in time to make good use of faster CPU's with more threads...a core i3 3.4ghz can run most games at max settings with a GTX 980 and not be a significant bottleneck...all we do basicaly in buying such strong CPU's and overclocking them is building power house for future more advanced games that we will likely have to play with stronger GPUs as well to notice a better performance.

As much as some may don't like the terminology for it, we are ''future-proofing''...not saying we build future-proof machine, but we certainly overshoot on the CPU a fair bit to allow more GPU upgrades without having to build on a new platform over and over again...at least that's the way i see it.

In my case the i7 was only about 50$ more than the i5 when i bought into it so i think i made the right choice, and i was lucky enough to not to have to cut anywhere esle on my build to afford it, i still got my SSD's and the GTX 780ti was out of price range anyways (well i could have afforded it but the 800$ pricetag vs the 480$ i paid for the 780 was too much of a gap for me)

I just find it weird when people say to get the i5 over the i7 because not many games benefit from the more expensive chip. But like you said, you can make a similar argument for the i3 over the i5. I can understand picking a locked i5 over an i7 because the difference in cost is pretty significant (>$100), but the chip + platform difference between running a stock 4790k that runs 4.4 GHz ingame and a 4690k that'll be overclocked to 4.5 GHz most likely is reasonably close at $40 or so. I'd rather have the HT for the games that can make use of it if I'm spending that much on the core of my system. Maybe it's not a slam dunk at a $40 difference for HT like it would be if the difference was only $20, but it's still something to really consider in making a decision between 4690k and a 4790k.

I just find it weird when people say to get the i5 over the i7 because not many games benefit from the more expensive chip. But like you said, you can make a similar argument for the i3 over the i5. I can understand picking a locked i5 over an i7 because the difference in cost is pretty significant (>$100), but the chip + platform difference between running a stock 4790k that runs 4.4 GHz ingame and a 4690k that'll be overclocked to 4.5 GHz most likely is reasonably close at $40 or so. I'd rather have the HT for the games that can make use of it if I'm spending that much on the core of my system. Maybe it's not a slam dunk at a $40 difference for HT like it would be if the difference was only $20, but it's still something to really consider in making a decision between 4690k and a 4790k.

I agree, especialy if that 40$ won't force you to cut corners elsewhere in the rig.

You said the performance boost from the clock bump was slight. Then what's the point of spending on a 4690k over a 4460, 4590, or 4690? I don't get the 4690k at all.

to overclock? Stock for stock yes you won't see much difference if the clock speeds are around the same. Not everyone can get an i7 for $50 more than an i5.  

Lower that screen resolution and put me two of these GTX980 to really show what cpu's are capable of and seperate the boys and you'll see what i mean.

i have far cry 4 and it run's only 6-7 significant thread, it's not the best multi-threaded game but it is a new modern game indeed.

But why do that? I'm just showing that an i7 still isn't necessary over an i5 for gaming. I see that in your position you got the i7 for a good deal. I would have bought it also if it was only $50 more and didn't sacrifice anything else. 

You say it uses 6-7 threads so wouldn't the 2600k be up there with the i5 if HT made a difference?

But why do that? I'm just showing that an i7 still isn't necessary over an i5 for gaming.

With current games and the way they are coded i can't argue with you on that you are absolutely correct.

In fact for most games out there even the core i5 is overkill.

With current games and the way they are coded i can't argue with you on that you are absolutely correct.

In fact for most games out there even the core i5 is overkill.

oh for sure. 

that cpu is just fine for you. id even use it with a 980.

youll be fine :)

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

it's a lot more than that..here:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($187.99 @ Directron)

Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($69.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $257.97

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-18 07:40 EST-0500

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($232.95 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($94.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $357.92

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-18 07:41 EST-0500

i hope your understand..

I hope you understand you are linking the 4460.... NOT the 4690. I don't even know how that model was brought up. They're even on different architectures and different base clocks... 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116989&cm_re=4690-_-19-116-989-_-Product LOCKED $224

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117372&cm_re=4690-_-19-117-372-_-Product UNLOCKED $219

It's actually CHEAPER because of a sale apparently at the time of this post. I hope you can read numbers.

PCPartPicker Link To My Build

My YouTube channel, also check out my Twitch Stream!

Check out my Lastest CS:GO Video!

haswell is as good as it gets. he probably just meant if you get something older than sandy-bridge architecture there's a chance of you facing a 5FPS bottleneck :P

Well no worries, I don't use Lynnfield/Bloomfield/Gulftown CPUs as of now.

kompooterz.