First PC Gaming Build Advice

Hi,

I am making my first gaming pc for christmas but i didn't know what a parts to use. Here is what I have come up with.

Intel Pentium G3258
Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
WD 1TB 3.5 inch
Corsair Builder Series CX 430
Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600​C9 Vengeance 8GB
Antec VSK-4000E

I was hoping that  you could possibly suggest a good motherboard under £50 if possible, it needs USB 3.0, SATA 3 and to support the 1150 socket for Intel chips. Also the main aim is to 'crush' games at 1080p at as close to 60fps if possible. Any advice on other parts would also be great.

P.S. I am on a budget of £400 thanks! :)

Thanks for the advice, does it have a good build quality, and what do you think of the other parts in the build? Thansk  :)  :D

You might also go for a 280 instead of a 270X, it's only slightly more expensive if you're ready to pay a bit more for a better PSU (that upgrade should cost around 80-100$)

Have you factored in operating system to your budget?

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Thanks sorry I am all new to this what does a PSU do and mean exacally, thanks and sorry i know i am a noob at this kind of stuff.

No not really i was hoping on getting a discounted copy from a company closing down or something, any surgestions on a £400 gaming pc build including the operating system would be great as i would love to get the most out of my money. Thanks :)  :D

Yes it does have a good build quality (see the 5X protection on Asus' website for more info) and because it is a H81 chipset you can overclock on it due to the BIOS update Asus released. and as Sushicat89 said you might want a 280 instead of a 270X also PSU means Power Supply Unit

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/ZKBWyc
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/ZKBWyc/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor  (£78.79 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: ASRock H81M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£36.66 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£57.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£35.94 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card  (£140.79 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Zalman ZM-T3 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  (£20.86 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (£35.09 @ Aria PC)
Total: £406.12
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-13 21:10 GMT+0000

Is my recommendation for a 400 quid build.

Operating system is going to cost another 20-70 depending where you get it.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

HI thanks for the recommendation, do you have any idea where I could get a OS for £20, thanks again  :D

Your going to need more than a 450w psu  with a 280, at least 500-550 ;) 

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

Your going to need more than a 450w psu  with a 280, at least 500-550 ;)

He'll be fine with a Bronze Certified 450W.

Companies grossly overestimate the required amount of wattage needed.  For that build, I would be surprised if he pulled more than 375W at maximum load.

He'll be fine with a Bronze Certified 450W.

Companies grossly overestimate the required amount of wattage needed.  For that build, I would be surprised if he pulled more than 375W at maximum load.

Yes, but according to extreme.outervision.com  it is recommended to have 387w, and 80% of 450 is 360. It might work,  but I wouldn't cut it that close. The last thing you want is to have voltage instability that could cause other components to fail. 

I have also watched those videos. ;) 

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

HI thanks for the recommendation, do you have any idea where I could get a OS for £20, thanks again  :D

Maybe if you're a student?  There are also some websites, I'm unsure of what they are, but you can buy a key for Windows for very cheap.  It involves a 2nd working computer.  You download the OS onto a USB stick and then install the OS from the USB stick onto the new computer.  Anyone remember what the websites are that sell this?

Yes, but according to extreme.outervision.com  it is recommended to have 387w, and 80% of 450 is 360. It might work,  but I wouldn't cut it that close. The last thing you want is to have voltage instability that could cause other components to fail. 

Like I said, websites grossly overestimate how much is required.  If you watch both of those videos, those guys are running way, way, way more powerful components than this potential build and only pulling 375-430 at maximum stressed to the bloody max.  XFX is a very good PSU manufacturer and he will be fine with a 450W PSU.  The next level up reputable 500W PSU is more expensive and he is already over budget and without an OS.  I'm not denying that more is better for the sake of peace of mind, but he will be fine with 450W of Bronze Certified power.

Thanks man what is your advice over these graphics cards:

Sapphire Radeon R9 270X

MSI Radeon R9 280

Or any other good card for under £150. Thanks  :D

The 280 is better than the 270x. I would go with that one.  :) 

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

Thanks man what is your advice over these graphics cards:

Sapphire Radeon R9 270X

MSI Radeon R9 280

280 hands down.  Much better than a 270X.

Also if anyone knows of the website where students can get it for cheap and you can get a USB version that would be great. :)

I think g2a was selling cheap Windows keys at one point. 

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

Thanks for the advice, for £1 extra its worth it.

One more thing I was looking at, you might need a different case.  The one I originally selected would work, but only if you removed the HDD bay, which you will need.  Here is an updated build with the 500W PSU and least expensive workable case.

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/DQ6xWZ

Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/DQ6xWZ/by_merchant/

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£57.99 @ Amazon UK)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£35.94 @ Aria PC)

Case: Thermaltake Versa H22 ATX Mid Tower Case  (£26.87 @ Ebuyer)

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (£36.54 @ Amazon UK)

Total: £413.58

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-13 21:46 GMT+0000

One more thing I was looking at, you might need a different case.  The one I originally selected would work, but only if you removed the HDD bay, which you will need.  Here is an updated build with the 500W PSU and least expensive workable case.

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/DQ6xWZ

Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/DQ6xWZ/by_merchant/

Case: Thermaltake Versa H22 ATX Mid Tower Case  (£26.87 @ Ebuyer)

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (£36.54 @ Amazon UK)

Total: £413.58

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-13 21:46 GMT+0000

Thanks is the motherboard good and is the graphics good at like 1080p at a reasonable 40 - 60 fps, thanks

Also would these cases work?

Antec VSK-4000E

Cooler Master Elite 110