Dog Fighting Help?

Realist Peter Pan

I don't really think I'm that good at dog fighting or any aerial fighting/tactics behind it all. I played a bit of War Thunder, and didn't do too bad, but that is just a shooting gallery in my opinion -.- . If you guys might have any videos/Tips/Tricks/Rule of thumb stuff I would love to hear it! If you also have any tactic specific tips for different types of ships, that would be awesome too! (heavy ships/ fighters/ non-combative ships "evasion")

Ships I have, and plan on flying frequently if it matters: 

Reclaimer

Gladius

Herald

Constellation Andr.

325a

Redeemer

read my messages in a gleeful tone. 

I don't really think I'm that good at dog fighting or any aerial fighting/tactics behind it all. I played a bit of War Thunder, and didn't do too bad, but that is just a shooting gallery in my opinion -.- . If you guys might have any videos/Tips/Tricks/Rule of thumb stuff I would love to hear it! If you also have any tactic specific tips for different types of ships, that would be awesome too! (heavy ships/ fighters/ non-combative ships "evasion")

Ships I have, and plan on flying frequently if it matters:

Reclaimer

Gladius

Herald

Constellation Andr.

325a

Redeemer

Don't take your shot until your on his tail and you can put more than one shot on them, one shot with an energy weapon across the side of the ships just alerts someone and has no damage due to the shields.

Personally the bulldogs are my favourite weapon ATM

Fly like it's your last life, dogfighting is about endurance and sometimes it best to bide your time.

Fly like it's your last life

^this. play every game like this! live your life like this! build your PC like this!

317 is watching. 317 is everywhere. 317 is life.

Don't take your shot until your on his tail and you can put more than one shot on them, one shot with an energy weapon across the side of the ships just alerts someone and has no damage due to the shields. Personally the bulldogs are my favourite weapon ATM Fly like it's your last life, dogfighting is about endurance and sometimes it best to bide your time.

So educational :3 Life is study.

Always make sure to have guns that you can aim, if you have fixed weapons, life is hard...

I don't even know how babies come from?

Lets ask the right questions here...what peripheral are you using?  This is important, because I have some good tips for joysticks

Lets ask the right questions here...what peripheral are you using?  This is important, because I have some good tips for joysticks

I'm on a joystick so I'd gladly hear all the tips even if the OP is using something else!

-snip-

Hey OP and peeps! I'm actually working on a quick and dirty pilot's guide to Space Dogfighting exclusively for the LTT Conglomerate. Sadly, it won't come out anytime soon since I'm still researching maneuvers and the like. BUT!~ I can give out a few tips and tricks.

@rentaspoon is correct, you want to fly as if it's your last. Caution is a pilot's best survival tool.

---------------------------------------------------

Offense:

If you find yourself on someone's tail or basically in front of you (in your 9 - 3 o'clock line), engage and try to do the following:

1: Keep him in front of you (It's where your weapons are pointing)

2. Close in and shoot!

3. If you can't do 1 and 2, bank away hard and try again.

Make sure that you keep on his tail. That means don't fall behind NOR overshoot. Hands on that throttle, pilot!

Defense:

Your goal on the defense is to survive long enough to turn the fight to your favour (where you're on the offensive)

So turn, bank, dodge, dip, duck, dive, and dodge your way out of the situation. The goal is to put yourself on the offensive once more. Do it by separating then turning into the bogey.

Note: If you're feeling lucky, decoupled mode is your friend--you can turn any defensive fight into a head-on battle. Just turn around 180degs and fire while moving backwards.

Hopefully this was informative. I'll gladly answer any questions! But only to an extent since I'm not the best dogfighter out there, I admit. But I'm willing to share what I know with the conglomerate :D

Main Rig: Illya V2, the Tiny Titan: ||i7 8700k 5GHz @ 1.385v (delidded)|| ||NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE|| ||KrakenZ63|| ||ASRock Z390-Phantom-ITX/ac|| ||Corsair SF750||

2nd Rig: Illya V1, the Air Cooled Prodigy: ||i7 4790k 4.4GHz @ 1.3v|| |NVIDIA RTX 2080 FE|| ||Be Quiet! Dark Rock 2|| ||ASRock Z87-E|| ||SeaSonic G-Series 550w (Carbon Fiber Mod)||

Captain isHypnophobic of the LTT Conglomerate.

Hey OP and peeps! I'm actually working on a quick and dirty pilot's guide to Space Dogfighting exclusively for the LTT Conglomerate. Sadly, it won't come out anytime soon since I'm still researching maneuvers and the like. BUT!~ I can give out a few tips and tricks.

@rentaspoon is correct, you want to fly as if it's your last. Caution is a pilot's best survival tool.

Offense:

If you find yourself on someone's tail or basically in front of you (in your 9 - 3 o'clock line), engage and try to do the following:

2. Close in and shoot!

Make sure that you keep on his tail. That means don't fall behind NOR overshoot. Hands on that throttle, pilot!

Defense:

Your goal on the defense is to survive long enough to turn the fight to your favour (where you're on the offensive)

So turn, bank, dodge, dip, duck, dive, and dodge your way out of the situation. The goal is to put yourself on the offensive once more. Do it by separating then turning into the bogey.

Note: If you're feeling lucky, decoupled mode is your friend--you can turn any defensive fight into a head-on battle. Just turn around 180degs and fire while moving backwards.

Hopefully this was informative. I'll gladly answer any questions! But only to an extent since I'm not the best dogfighter out there, I admit. But I'm willing to share what I know with the conglomerate :D

Cool! Looking forward to the full guide. Most of the stuff that you pointed out, comes straight from the real fighter pilot "rulebook". I really hope that in the end the game will be rich and complicated enough so that many more real life rules of engagement will be applicable.

I really hope that CIG makes the flight mechanics so that it will be easy to learn, hard to master (as everything in life should be ;)). I see many users struggling with the basics of flying, which may turn them off of the game, for now.

If they can make it so, they'll have my deep respect :)

@isHypnophobic Dogeball ftw :D

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

-snip-

Thanks! Yeah, I've been reading a bunch of Air Force manuals ever since I was a teen (recently I'm reading manuals from different countries and eras). My dad's an aeronautic engineer and his dream was to fly (sadly he couldn't due to health reasons)--so it kinda shows how most things I know are for atmospheric A-to-A combat. :( It's also why I'm taking a while writing the guide. It seems like moving around in space seems a tad easier but hard to grasp for who plays a ton of Sims. When playing AC I sometimes go: "WAIT what do you mean I can't turn Max-G's?!" or "He's gonna decouple... NO NO FU."

@Wauthar I KNEW someone's gonna get that reference--kudos!

Main Rig: Illya V2, the Tiny Titan: ||i7 8700k 5GHz @ 1.385v (delidded)|| ||NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE|| ||KrakenZ63|| ||ASRock Z390-Phantom-ITX/ac|| ||Corsair SF750||

2nd Rig: Illya V1, the Air Cooled Prodigy: ||i7 4790k 4.4GHz @ 1.3v|| |NVIDIA RTX 2080 FE|| ||Be Quiet! Dark Rock 2|| ||ASRock Z87-E|| ||SeaSonic G-Series 550w (Carbon Fiber Mod)||

Captain isHypnophobic of the LTT Conglomerate.

Offense:

2. Close in and shoot!

Defense:

Thanks I appreciate you taking the time to respond. 

In short STRAFING is key, strafe up/down/left/right in coupled mode to avoid being hit as well as putting yourself in position to hit a ship more often (you want to be above the ship where you can see the most of it).  After that missles!  Use them only when you have done damage through the sheild or they are a bit of a waste.

To avoid being hit, barrel rolls seems to be working well these days.  To avoid missles that are coming at you head on strafe left or right away from them until they are behind you and then flare (you might have to quarter yaw away a bit to get ur butt towards the missle).

Always boost into your strafes as well.  just the stuff that comes to mind!

In short STRAFING is key, strafe up/down/left/right in coupled mode to avoid being hit as well as putting yourself in position to hit a ship more often (you want to be above the ship where you can see the most of it). After that missles! Use them only when you have done damage through the sheild or they are a bit of a waste.

To avoid being hit, barrel rolls seems to be working well these days. To avoid missles that are coming at you head on strafe left or right away from them until they are behind you and then flare (you might have to quarter yaw away a bit to get ur butt towards the missle).

Always boost into your strafes as well. just the stuff that comes to mind!

You and your strafing! Personally in the Aurora I drift around asteroids and take a lot of shots as I pop out to run and hide behind another.

With the Aurora you have to realise you've brought a knife to a gun fight, you have to pick people off at the back of the pack, never stray to far from cover.

There is no point to using your missiles on a target unless you can get 2-4 out, this might seem like a waste but taking a hornet on the m3a lasers will run out of power before you can kill them, any clever pilot will eject before you have a second chance.

I played against 4 hornets yesterday and came second so it is possible to win it just takes more skill.