motherboards are getting skinny?

Rossyboy

is anyone else noticing that motherboards have huge blank spaces on them nowadays?

for example here is a z87 msi board.

pDtJcQj.jpg

and here is a z77 msi board for comparison

mNgWf5H.jpg

my theory is because intel is moving so much onto the chip, it makes it very hard for motherboard manufacturers to fill all the space on the boards. they are starting too look all the same, im scared.

Rossyboy

Unfortunately I think your theory is right... :S and the enthusiast (like us) are going to become annoyed soon... :ph34r:

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

I have a question. Why is it the top end Z87 MB have bloody horrible little fans on the heat sinks? I though we were past those noise damn things.

FX8120 @ 5.0GHz | Sabertooth 990FX | Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB @ 2133MHz | Powercolor HD7950 @ 1300/1800 | Bitfenix Shinobi XL Modded | Corsair AX850 | Mushkin 120GB & Seagate 2TB | Bitfenix Recon | 5X SP120 PE | 6X Yate Loon 120mm HS

Koolance 200 Res | 2X Koolance 360 Rads | Danger Den CPX Pro | EK 7950 Block | Koolance CPU Block | Bitspower & XSPC Fittings

Green Machine

Yeah you're right but at least its good for smaller form factors.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

Well, now there is more space for other things on the mainboard, like Linus' favorite topic: High-End Onboard Audio :)

MB: MSI Z77A-GD55 | CPU: Intel i5-2500k @ 4.5 GHz | RAM: 8GB Kingston DDR3 @1333MHz | GPU: Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II 

Monitor: 22" Samsung SyncMaster B2230H @60Hz | Audio: Creative Aurvana Live! | PSU: SuperFlower 80+ Gold 550 Watt 

OS: ArchLinux + KDE / Windows 8 Pro 64bit | Smartphone: Nexus 4 16GB - CM11

To an extent that's the case, I'd presume VRM circuitry has been simplified a lot since there's no need for dynamic voltage changes anymore. Added features on the PCH may also remove the requirement for less additional chips too, so that probably makes some difference.

That said, it's not that much different. It looks like that's the case with the two images you linked because you are comparing an entry-level board (G43) with a mid-range/higher-end one (GD65), so there's naturally going to be a lot more circuitry on the GD65 due to the added features. The Z77A-GD43 however, looks similarly bare. These "skinny" boards have always been common with lower-end, lower-quality units because they have cut down on components to reduce cost.

You can tell by the atx standoff holes that both boards are the exact same thickness :P

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

You can tell by the atx standoff holes that both boards are the exact same thickness :P

Well I presume this is a joke...good one!

Yes I am annoyed by the blank spaces where I can see the ugly brown PCB.

my theory is because intel is moving so much onto the chip, it makes it very hard for motherboard manufacturers to fill all the space on the boards. they are starting too look all the same, im scared.

Rossyboy

Don't be scared. We'll start to be able to build more powerful systems in, say, mITX cases (X79/99 hopefully). This is great news.

This is pretty good news for me! It shows that increasingly better hardware are being able to be crammed into smaller spaces, so my M-atx/ m-itx build in a year and half can only get more powerful

the cleaner look with a black matte pcb is very nice though

Why do i always get blue screens? Why not a red one for a change?

Spoiler

CPU: 2920x  GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor X  MOBO: X399 Taichi  RAM: 4x 8GB Trident Z RGN 3200/14  CASE: 900D  OS SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 512GB  Storage: 20TB NAS  PSU: Corsair RM1000i  CPU COOLER: NH-U14S TR4 OS: Arch Linux Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 TKL  Mouse: MX Master 2S Headphones: BD DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm

I'm sure that brown is just cheap, black solder mask on a copper pcb. Other than that, the gd65 is an ok board.

Well, now there is more space for other things on the mainboard, like Linus' favorite topic: High-End Onboard Audio :)

this made me think. how long till integrated sound goes on the chip?

One is high end and one is low end. They leave room for improvement so that when the UNLEASH another series then people will buy them. The best motherboards didnt come out with sandy bridge for 1155.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Further more g65 is the highest of their range and g43 is the lowest.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1