Watching @ 60fps vs Playing @ 60fps

Marvzl1357

Hi guys,

Just something I was thinking as I was watching some gameplay/commentary on youtube at 720p 60fps

"Why does this looks so much smoother than when I play at 60fps on my pc?"

I'm positive my monitor is 60fps, I'm positive I get more than 60 fps (around 65-70 fps average) so...why does watching a video at 60fps feel so much different than when I play at 60fps? No motion blur enabled btw

idk, it kinda confused me a bit, and I was just wondering if anyone else has this same experience? 

plz, no 144/120hz masterracing. :P

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

You probably aren't getting a constant frame rate.

One of those FPS vs frame rate discussions.

Because its compressed which makes it look like there is motion blur.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Hi guys,

Just something I was thinking as I was watching some gameplay/commentary on youtube at 720p 60fps

"Why does this looks so much smoother than when I play at 60fps on my pc?"

I'm positive my monitor is 60fps, I'm positive I get more than 60 fps (around 65-70 fps average) so...why does watching a video at 60fps feel so much different than when I play at 60fps? No motion blur enabled btw

idk, it kinda confused me a bit, and I was just wondering if anyone else has this same experience? 

plz, no 144/120hz masterracing. :P

Do you have v-sync enabled? because that can cause stuttering/lag as well as you may dip below 60 frames here and there while the youtube video is always going to be 60 frames so you're eyes are noticing the dips in frame rate

Please use http://pcpartpicker.com/ for everybodones sake!

and quote me if you want me to see a reply please :)

pewpewpewphysicslazers!!!

hmm...true.

maybe it's because there's micro-stutters left right and center, so I'm not actually getting 60fps despite fraps telling me I get 60 fps ?

Do you have v-sync enabled? because that can cause stuttering/lag as well as you may dip below 60 frames here and there while the youtube video is always going to be 60 frames so you're eyes are noticing the dips in frame rate

no vsync, but yeah, maybe it comes down to consistency, and maybe running slightly above 60fps is still causing screen tears, so it sort of makes it feel "rough" as opposed to buttery

hmm...true.

maybe it's because there's micro-stutters left right and center, so I'm not actually getting 60fps despite fraps telling me I get 60 fps ?

potentially, there are many likely sources.

You can try capping at 60fps (if the game supports it) and seeing it it changes anything

I feel motion sickness in some of the new 60 fps videos on Youtube..but not while I'm playing myself, so probably

4770k Delid @ 4.5Ghz/1.25V w/ NH-D15, Maximus VII Hero, HyperX Beast 8GB 1600Mhz, GTX770 DCII OC, Strider Gold S 750W, 120GB 840 EVO, 2TB Barracuda, No case : D

Quickfire TK (MX Brown), Naos 7000, 128GB Surface Pro 2, 32GB G2 With Lightning Rom V4

Yup,
You probably aren't getting a constant frame rate.One of those FPS vs frame rate discussions.
Yup. One reason It's because; immersion. An Interesting perspective. Let someone play the game live in your monitor and you back off like 8 feet, and you'll see how the gameplay "seems" smoother too.

Plus when they are rendering it at 60fps, they're also forcing the constant FPS rate to be 60fps instead of YouTube's old 30fps (At least I think it was 30fps lol)

I personally think it looks so much smoother now when it's at 60fps instead of 30fps.

Gamer & PC Enthusiast

Gaming Community's TeamSpeak: ts.the-eux.uk

If I've helped you out, Click that "like" button to show me some love :)