Please delete. I was destroyed.

I'm not exactly a fanboy but I'd rather give my money to Corsair and ASUS before I give it to Gigabyte; or at least that was my mindset; Gigabyte may be slowly winning me over.

I have been thinking lately about getting a new keyboard. While thinking about what to get, I've been considering an 80% keyboard - I'm used to 100%.

My main reason for considering 80% is because I would like my WASD to be closer to my mouse. Then I questioned something... why do keyboards have the numpad on the right side? How is it practical with mice?

Especially for gamers and people who use computers for hours on-end, a numpad on the right is impractical and annoying. What modern-day benefit is there to having the numpad on the right?

The bigger-company keyboards I know of with the concept:

Gigabyte AORUS Thunder K7 (2014)

Microsoft Sidewinder X6 (2008)

When using a spreadsheet program such as Excel or Google Spreadsheets, people who use the numpad tend to use the mouse in their right hand and have their left arm stretched across the keyboard to use the numpad.

Imagine this with the numpad on the left side -- left hand moves far less in comparison (from home keys).

When gaming, the numpad is never really used -- other than ARMA series and perhaps using benchmarking/recording software (which will work as equally fine on the other side of the board).

It would probably be best to keep the arrow keys and home/delete/end etc. on the right hand side for reasons such as:

- with numpad on left, each hand gets an even amount of 'extra' keys (especially when typing)

- delete is used as commonly as backspace so close proximity is a good idea

- some games use WASD and arrow keys together and it's best to keep WASD for the left hand

Either way, I just thought that I should post this and offer some ideas that might hopefully come into effect one day.

I see it as not only a possible new market but also as a marketing attraction.

You do know everything you just said, is based off a gamer's point of view. And that it's not just gamers that use keyboards. Creating a design change will not be 100% compatible with Windows, and only work for gaming in certain scenarios at best.

That was the stupidest thing I've ever read. How about you just get a keyboard without a number pad.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I had the Sidewinder X6 for a while, I thought it would be cool for that feature, but never used it. and at the time I was using MS excel pretty heavily.

maybe just find the best keyboard for you. and grab something like this:
1315306314-logitech-cordless-number-pad-

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

You're looking at this strictly from the aspect of a gamer. And while that may be right in some aspects of keyboards, like a gaming only one, it doesn't make any sense for normal keyboards.

For example, I use my number pad heavily. I would absolutely hate for it to be on the left side because my right hand is my strong hand. I'm much faster at typing with it than my left.

I also have very broad shoulders, so the extra spacing that a keyboard with the number pad makes doesn't bother me in the slightest.

When I use Excel I tend to move around the screen with the arrow keys, not so much the mouse unless I have a large area to cover.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I certainly am looking at this from a gamer's point of view - perhaps it'd work well with Corsair Gaming's keyboard product range. :D

That was the stupidest thing I've ever read. How about you just get a keyboard without a number pad.

I explained why I didn't want a keyboard without a number pad.

- numpad still has a purpose, especially in ARMA

- I want something fixed to the actual keyboard, not just loosely moving around

- I want it to be mechanical and backlit

And in reply to all replies:

Either way, I just thought that I should post this and offer some ideas that might hopefully come into effect one day.

I see it as not only a possible new market but also as a marketing attraction.

I'm not saying that right-side numpad is obsolete and stupid, I'm just saying that perhaps left-side numpad might be a market that keyboard manufacturers should consider.

Also, I tagged it as a rant. Always expect at least a little bit of stupidity when anything is tagged/titled as a rant.

You do know everything you just said, is based off a gamer's point of view. And that it's not just gamers that use keyboards. Creating a design change will not be 100% compatible with Windows, and only work for gaming in certain scenarios at best.

I don't see how having the same hardware inside a keyboard but having the numpad on the left side won't be as compatible as right-side numpads.

A bonus to having the numpad on the left side is more possible macros - on top of any possible dedicated macro keys.

I certainly am looking at this from a gamer's point of view - perhaps it'd work well with Corsair Gaming's keyboard product range. :D

I explained why I didn't want a keyboard without a number pad.

- numpad still has a purpose, especially in ARMA

- I want something fixed to the actual keyboard, not just loosely moving around

- I want it to be mechanical and backlit

And in reply to all replies:

I'm not saying that right-side numpad is obsolete and stupid, I'm just saying that perhaps left-side numpad might be a market that keyboard manufacturers should consider.

Also, I tagged it as a rant. Always expect at least a little bit of stupidity when anything is tagged/titled as a rant.

I don't see how having the same hardware inside a keyboard but having the numpad on the left side won't be as compatible as right-side numpads.

A bonus to having the numpad on the left side is more possible macros - on top of any possible dedicated macro keys.

Lol worthy.

R8JTy5y.gif

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

- perhaps it'd work well with Corsair Gaming's keyboard product range.

Na mate you want something from razer. Coz they are MLG. 

Not going to lie, I would've deleted the topic by now if I could.

While I would still like the concept to become a reality, I know it won't.

I've enjoyed getting destroyed by all of you and I hope it can happen again soon.

Time to change the topic name in hopes that a moderator/admin will delete it.

XOXO Gossip Girl

It's not a completely idiotic idea, it's just there are plenty of reasons that's it's not done.

For me it fails because when using spreadsheets/accounting, the mouse is simply not used and all of the navigation is done with the keyboard, including the arrow keys which need to be close to the numpad for fast navigation

Not going to lie, I would've deleted the topic by now if I could.

While I would still like the concept to become a reality, I know it won't.

I've enjoyed getting destroyed by all of you and I hope it can happen again soon.

Time to change the topic name in hopes that a moderator/admin will delete it.

XOXO Gossip Girl

Umm... You are looking for TKL keyboard, right? There are lots of options to get such even though not all companies have their own version yet. I'm also X6 user and have had my numpad on left side of kb pretty much from the beginning. So now when I'm looking for TKL, I'll get nupad separated for it. In fact, Tesoro even has "bundle" for it, tkl and numpad both mechs.

And I don't see point of deleting this thread. If you wish to still do so, PM mods or report it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

There are a few companies making keyboards like that, but they're almost never backlit, they usually call them left handed keyboards. Here's one of them.

As a righty though, even when number crunching and programming, I only ever use my right hand for the numpad.

R7 2700x | ASUS Strix X470-f | 4x8 Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro | Zotac RTX 2080ti | Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic
2x Xeon X5650 | Supermicro X8DT3-LN4F | 6x4 Micron DDR3 ECC | 4x4TB HDD