PCI-E Graphics card noise on soundcard

Vfo
Go to solution Solved by ShearMe,

I want to keep this headset and use the microphone it has.

I seem to have missed the part where you said you had a PC 360 - so sorry!

You could give an audio mixer a try - something like Behringer's 302USB should give you enough knobs to do what you want. Just make sure you have a 1/8in to 1/4in adapter.

So after about a years testing and messing around with stuff, I have finally ruled all other options out.

My graphics card in my new PC is sending a lot of noise through the PCI lanes, and my sound card is picking it up on the microphone line.

The sound output is not affected for some reason.

Sound card is tested in my old computer, used it for about 2 years without problems, so my motherboard must be the problem.

As I see it, I have at least 2 options; get a new motherboard, or use USB for my microphone. I would prefer not to buy a new motherboard, so at first I will look at ways to utilize USB for my mic.

Currently I'm using the onboard mic input, which is surprisingly good. Super loud without noise, but it picks everything up in the room (thought that was based on the microphone?) which the ASUS sound card didn't. People are telling me it also sounds pretty cheap (orly) compared to what I used before, even though it had the bussing noise when playing demanding games.

I'm willing to pay for a proper fix up to $200ish while still using the microphone on the headset (can't stand having an extra cable from modmic, or using yeti etc).

Fustration + it's very late, excuse my poor formulation and mistakes etc. Really just looking to get this sorted finally.

Hardware/devices:

MSI G45 mobo

ASUS Essence STX sound card

Sennheiser 360 G4ME headset

So you want a worse mic input so the headset doesn't pick up too much noise? With a budget of $200 you could easily just buy another headset with a worse mic to compensate.  :rolleyes:

But for seriousness, Sennheiser PC 350 has a noise cancelling mic: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Special-Edition-Performance-Headset/dp/B008O510Y8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415150586&sr=8-1&keywords=pc+350

So after about a years testing and messing around with stuff, I have finally ruled all other options out.

My graphics card in my new PC is sending a lot of noise through the PCI lanes, and my sound card is picking it up on the microphone line.

The sound output is not affected for some reason.

Sound card is tested in my old computer, used it for about 2 years without problems, so my motherboard must be the problem.

As I see it, I have at least 2 options; get a new motherboard, or use USB for my microphone. I would prefer not to buy a new motherboard, so at first I will look at ways to utilize USB for my mic.

Currently I'm using the onboard mic input, which is surprisingly good. Super loud without noise, but it picks everything up in the room (thought that was based on the microphone?) which the ASUS sound card didn't. People are telling me it also sounds pretty cheap (orly) compared to what I used before, even though it had the bussing noise when playing demanding games.

I'm willing to pay for a proper fix up to $200ish while still using the microphone on the headset (can't stand having an extra cable from modmic, or using yeti etc).

Fustration + it's very late, excuse my poor formulation and mistakes etc. Really just looking to get this sorted finally.

Hardware/devices:

MSI G45 mobo

ASUS Essence STX sound card

Sennheiser 360 G4ME headset

Why not just use the on board realtek ALC1150? Sounds cards are so overrated if you ask me. You could always move the sound card to the bottom x4 slot and see if it fixes the interference.

Main: i7 2600 | ASUS P8Z68-V | 2x4GB Vengeance 1600 | GTX 580 | WD Blue 1TB | Antec TP-650C | NH U12S | W7 x64

Backup: X6 1090T | MSI K9A2 Platinum | 4x2GB XMS2 800 | GTX 550Ti | WD Blue 1TB |  Antec VP-450 | CM TX3 | W7 x64

The microphone is nice, and I like the headset so much I don't really want to replace it.

Also, it's not distance based interference, I have the graphics card and sound card put as far away from each other as possible + made my own EMI shield from the overclockers post - no difference. It's through the pci slots in the motherboard for sure.

Why not just use the on board realtek ALC1150? Sounds cards are so overrated if you ask me.

I don't care if my microphone is run through a soundcard or not, it just needs to be clean and without static while still being plenty loud that people can hear and understand me perfectly. Onboard is better than I could have hoped, but I want to go even furthrer.

About the sound cards being overrated. For listening to music I can never go back. I enjoy my music on an entirely different level after getting a soundcard. I've shown it to some friends and most of them don't care at all, some can't even hear the difference - It's different from person to person, but I do hear the difference - and it makes me smile every day :)

You could give an audio mixer a try - something like Behringer's 302USB should give you enough knobs to do what you want. Just make sure you have a 1/8in to 1/4in adapter.

That looks more like what I had in mind. I already use the adapter you mentioned since my soundcard is using 1/4inch plugs. I will go to the store and let them demonstrate it and make my decision based on that :)

That looks more like what I had in mind. I already use the adapter you mentioned since my soundcard is using 1/4inch plugs. I will go to the store and let them demonstrate it and make my decision based on that :)

Let us know how it goes. Be sure to play with both gain and volume.

Use an EXTERNAL soundcard, you can use your spdif output on your mainboard, if you got one.

Use an EXTERNAL soundcard, you can use your spdif output on your mainboard, if you got one.

I don't think I understand how that would work? spdif is the optical red light in the RCA looking connector, yes? That's an output only isn't it? My sound output is already fine, it's only the microphone input that needs to be sorted. Could you explain what you meant in a little more detail? :) Thanks for any input, and thanks to ShearMe as well ofcourse!

I thought of selling your internal, reducing any noise.

You use the spdif and the usb port for some external soundcards.

That was a thought of mine at the beginning of all this, but it turns out to be even more expensive, and it wouldn't fit in with my guitar. It's a project for another time when I have a bigger budget for some experimental new sound equipment :) Thank you for your input though.

Let us know how it goes. Be sure to play with both gain and volume.

Got the mixer in the mail today, and it works like a charm! It made me realize that my current microphone isn't all that fancy since it still has a little static noise in the background, but people can't hear it on TS3 apparently - Happy times!

A little bonus I couldn't resist while I was at it as well.

Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro - 110 euro

W8sNXMY.jpg

bOaMiNt.jpg

Thanks for all your help and suggestions! Very much appreciated <3

Got the mixer in the mail today, and it works like a charm! It made me realize that my current microphone isn't all that fancy since it still has a little static noise in the background, but people can't hear it on TS3 apparently - Happy times!

A little bonus I couldn't resist while I was at it as well.

Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro - 110 euro

W8sNXMY.jpg

bOaMiNt.jpg

Thanks for all your help and suggestions! Very much appreciated <3

Awesome! ^_^