SO MANY BROWN PCBs!

Is it just me, or are motherboard manufacturers making products with black PCBs less and less!? A year ago I bought my Gigabyte board for around $149.99-ish, and at that time most of the boards I was shopping around for had black PCBs, especially the ones made by MSI, ASUS, etc etc. But now at the same price point, everything is BROWN. I'm so very OCD about coordinating colors, and I would HATE to have a black case, blue fan accents, blue LEDs, blue PCIE and DIMM slots... and then a brown PCB. Idk, is that anyone else here? Has anyone else noticed this trend or am I just freaking out over nothin'? 

Tallgeese VI Build log coming soon!!
NZXT H440 | Intel Core i5-4690K | MSI Z97S Krait Edition | 12GB Corsair XMS3 | EVGA GTX970 Superclocked | Samsung 840 EVO 240GB, WD Blue 320GB | Corsair CX600M

Elite Dangerous: CMDR Zorin Kay'Van

Eh?

Black/red or Black/blue is the trend right now. Have yet to see a significant amount of black PCB's.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Or you can get a nice ninja looking board. The yellow accents kinda ruin it though.

z97x-ud5h-bk-645x531.jpg

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Well if you are still seeing brown pcb's, it is time for you to stop looking at low end motherboards, or z68 motheroards. 

Or you could go on Newegg and look at MSI/ASUS Z87/Z97 boards around a 150 usd price point, they are all Brown. 

Jerk.

Or you can get a nice ninja looking board. The yellow accents kinda ruin it though.

z97x-ud5h-bk-645x531.jpg

Yellow is such a rare color for PCs, I have seen that board before though and it looks really awesome. 

The MSI M-POWER with the huge M on it is amazing too! I was thinking of buying it and going with a "House of M" themed build.

NZXT H440 | Intel Core i5-4690K | MSI Z97S Krait Edition | 12GB Corsair XMS3 | EVGA GTX970 Superclocked | Samsung 840 EVO 240GB, WD Blue 320GB | Corsair CX600M

Is it just me, or are motherboard manufacturers making products with black PCBs less and less!? A year ago I bought my Gigabyte board for around $149.99-ish, and at that time most of the boards I was shopping around for had black PCBs, especially the ones made by MSI, ASUS, etc etc. But now at the same price point, everything is BROWN. I'm so very OCD about coordinating colors, and I would HATE to have a black case, blue fan accents, blue LEDs, blue PCIE and DIMM slots... and then a brown PCB. Idk, is that anyone else here? Has anyone else noticed this trend or am I just freaking out over nothin'?

I have noticed this. Maybe they all got dropped in the toilet :lol:. People can be quite clumsy sometimes. :P

In all seriousness though, I have and that's the reason that I have had to opt for a more

expensive mobo, because brown doesn't go too well with a black and white H440. ;)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Jerk.

Hey! Learn some manner before posting in here. We don't need that kind of attitude in this forum.

On topic though. I think manufacturers have gone two ways in this. They have GAMING labelled products which have black PCB and then there's another line of (borrowing MSI's branding) PC MATE style mobos. While still being Z-series boards and having same features as GAMING boards, they use brown/blue PCB. My guess would be that those are for people who don't have windows in their cases but still like the OC etc. capabilities.

As for Neweggs pricing range, I see more mobos with black PCB. Most brown ones are either Asus (goes with gold theme) or AsRock. On AMDs side this might be more but that is because manufacturers don't see AMD as GAMING platform atm. This may change in future.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

z97x-ud5h-bk-645x531.jpg

It's not yellow, it's gold.

Be thankful they're not green...

Like the PCBs on the Kingston ValueRAM line...

It's not yellow, it's gold.

Same shit, different pile. It still ruins the look.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Why are you surprised? GIGABYTE is the cheapest manufacturer of the bunch. Plastic shrouds on GPUs, shoddy MB BIOS UI, brown PCBs. I've never known anyone to buy a GIGABYTE product for aesthetics, rather because they were on a budget. Those plastic guns on the G1 Sniper boards scream Chinese plastic to me. 

3x Dell U2414H Triple Monitor Surround @ 5760x1080 / Corsair Obsidian 900D / ASUS ROG Z97 Maximus VII Hero / i7-4790K @ 4.4GHz / 2x EVGA SC GTX 780Ti SLI @ 1150MHz / 16GB GeiL DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz / 120GB Samsung 840 EVO / Corsair AX1200W PSU

Gallery: [1] [2] [3] - Fire Strike Score - Steam Profile

Why are you surprised? GIGABYTE is the cheapest manufacturer of the bunch. Plastic shrouds, shoddy BIOS, brown PCBs. I've never known anyone to buy a GIGABYTE product for aesthetics, rather because they were on a budget.

I picked my Z97X-Gaming 5 for the looks... I wanted one of the ROG boards, but I don't have money falling out my ass.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Why are you surprised? GIGABYTE is the cheapest manufacturer of the bunch. Plastic shrouds on GPUs, shoddy MB BIOS UI, brown PCBs. I've never known anyone to buy a GIGABYTE product for aesthetics, rather because they were on a budget. Those plastic guns on the G1 Sniper boards scream Chinese plastic to me. 

RoG boards are for people that fall for over the top extra's along with massive amounts of marketing hype/snake oil bs. Every time someone associates themselves with the rog brand I immediately think he/she has more money than brains.

The entire rog line-up is what all the spoiled children get.

@ZeroSix

Are these the brown PCBs you are on about?

asus_z97a.jpg

All the MSI ones look black with either red, yellow or blue. Some of the Asus ones (like the Asus Z97-A pictured above) have some brown highlights (I'd call it pale bronze) but all the PCB seem to be black.

You could probably paint the three components that are actually brown if you really really want an Asus board.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

RoG boards are for people that fall for over the top extra's along with massive amounts of marketing hype/snake oil bs. Every time someone associates themselves with the rog brand I immediately think he/she has more money than brains.

The entire rog line-up is what all the spoiled children get.

I like how you immediately throw that assumption out there when GIGABYTE was the only brand I named. I don't associate myself with any brand, not even with Dell who is my employer. Yeah, I like features and looks and I have the money for it. Not complaining one bit because I am a satisfied customer. I think the people that cheap out and buy from brands like GIGABYTE or Thermaltake aren't fully satisfied, and somewhere down the road they look at a rivaling product and wish they had something more. 

3x Dell U2414H Triple Monitor Surround @ 5760x1080 / Corsair Obsidian 900D / ASUS ROG Z97 Maximus VII Hero / i7-4790K @ 4.4GHz / 2x EVGA SC GTX 780Ti SLI @ 1150MHz / 16GB GeiL DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz / 120GB Samsung 840 EVO / Corsair AX1200W PSU

Gallery: [1] [2] [3] - Fire Strike Score - Steam Profile

@ZeroSix

Some of the Asus ones (like the Asus Z97-A pictured above) have some brown highlights (I'd call it pale bronze) but all the PCB seem to be black.

Nope, that's brown. Many boards that seem black in pictures are actually brown in person due to lighting. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Nope, that's brown. Many boards that seem black in pictures are actually brown in person due to lighting.

yes, but once you drop them into a case they become black again...they just look brownish when held under a light or the sun...this is a non issue.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

yes, but once you drop them into a case they become black again...they just look brownish when held under a light or the sun...this is a non issue.

That's not the case if there's any internal lighting--which might be the case for anyone who is worrying about the color of the pcb in the first place. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

That's not the case if there's any internal lighting--which might be the case for anyone who is worrying about the color of the pcb in the first place.

not true...only white leds would allow you to assest if the PCB color is dark brown or black...any colored leds will make's it impossible to tell wheter the board is black or dark brown

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

not true...only white leds would allow you to assest if the PCB color is dark brown or black...any colored leds will make's it impossible to tell wheter the board is black or dark brown

Good point. That's also why I like white leds--they show off the components well. 

Good point. That's also why I like white leds--they show off the components well.

i agree...but they also show dust, fingerprints...anyways ;) everybody has it's preferences i guess...my machine is black and red (with a Z87-G45 gaming motherboard which is indeed dark brown when looked under direct light) and i have red led strips inside the case and i swear even with the panel open and computer turned off the motherboard looks black as a long as it's not under direct light.

In all seriousness though, I have and that's the reason that I have had to opt for a more expensive mobo, because brown doesn't go too well with a black and white H440. ;)

EXACTLY. Now imagine if you ordered a limited edition color like Black with blue accents like I did... (today I just asked NZXT to switch my order to white and black though and they sorted that out. Great customer support btw).

Maybe that's your experience with Gigabyte, but I find that that they make quality MoBos, especially the Z77X-UD4H that I have been using the past year. 

Also that is the only name you mentioned.

@i_build_nanosuits

I am a stickler for aesthetics as MANY enthusiasts are, but I don't want to pay a premium just for a black PCB. A year ago even at $150 black PCBs were the standard for all the reputable big brands like MSI, GIGABYTE and ASUS, but now you're not seeing them unless you're paying closer to 200. And Brown PCB's will show up brown or as a shade of a color that IS NOT BLACK under any decent lighting except UV LEDs.