Googles New Gmail's App is Opening its Doors to Rival Email Services.

Global Mail

141103122952-gmail-app-620xa.png

gmail 5.0 ,  Google's new version of its Gmail mobile app, available for download now on Android, on which you don't need a gmail account to use it lets you manage accounts from alternative email providers like Yahoo, AOL and Microsoft Outlook. You can also use it with your work email address.

The New App doesn't require you to have a Gmail Account..

Screen cap of Gmail app supporting MSoutlook & Yahoo mail...

gmail-5.0-640x519.jpg

Switching between Gmail and non-Gmail accounts will work much the same way as navigating between different Google accounts within the current app

interesting move for Google which until now has focused on users of its own email platform. But opening up the Gmail app to other types of email accounts could potentially draw thousands of new Android users who don't use Gmail for either work or personal accounts to the app.

However, these accounts will not use push notifications, and you'll be asked to set a sync interval

Switching between Gmail and non-Gmail accounts will work much the same way as navigating between different Google accounts within the current app, Opening up the Gmail app to other types of email accounts could potentially draw thousands of new Android users

What's New?..
  • Insert Google Drive files directly into messages
  • Improved auto-complete. Start typing in the To, Cc or Bcc field and you'll now get better suggestions, faster.
  • Improved formatting support when restoring saved drafts
  • Ongoing bug fixes and reliability improvements
  • Manage multiple accounts
  • View and save attachments
  • Set up label notifications

gmail-app-update.jpg

The new Gmail app is distinct from another recent email innovation from Google, which it's calling Inbox.

Inbox, released last month, makes your email into a kind of to-do list. It lets you do things like set reminders, bundle similar messages together in groups, call out the key information from important messages and hit "snooze" on messages you'd prefer to deal with later.

The new Gmail will be able to handle email accounts from other providers like Yahoo or Outlook, switching between them with either a simple swipe or by touching the account drop down

If you add multiple accounts, you can switch between them by opening the left-hand slide-out menu and swiping across your profile banner. You can also tap the small arrow and choose an account from the list.

However, these accounts will not use push notifications, and you'll be asked to set a sync interval.

nexus2cee_image47.png

The new app has a cleaned-up look that Google calls "material design," which gives the illusion of varying depths for images on the screen. Material design is also a prominent aspect of the forthcoming update to Google's mobile operating system, Android Lollipop. Also this version of the app has super clean compose screen & round avatars..

If you want to add Exchange support to your Gmail client, you'll need to download an additional APK.

If you installed Gmail 5.0 first, you may need to force stop your Gmail app in order for it to recognize the Exchange capabilities. 

Video Demo:

Bonus:

068d85adaee4952818617906e0d035e97404d6a5

Pretty good update imo, Post your thoughts/comments & Rants down belooooowww...

Link

http://money.cnn.com/2014/11/03/technology/mobile/new-gmail/index.html

Verified Secure Download link

http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/gmail/gmail-5-0-1556543-apk/

Details separate people.

But I can just use the Email app on my phone...

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

but... Inbox is sooo amazing.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I'm pretty sure Google is trying to kill those OEM apps. 

Google wants to take back the control they've given to the OEMs. 

This is a step.

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

but... Inbox is sooo amazing.

I still have yet to get into it. :(

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I'm pretty sure Google is trying to kill those OEM apps. 

Google wants to take back the control they've given to the OEMs. 

This is a step.

Well Google can go fuck itself. I don't want another app destroyed by Google.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

What other apps did Google destroy? Google taking back a bit of control seems like a good thing to me, maybe Android will finally come together.

What other apps did Google destroy? Google taking back a bit of control seems like a good thing to me, maybe Android will finally come together.

I just think the OEMs should have their own OEM apps for mail, sync, etc, so they can customize it to their device.

Video demo added,  B)

Placed Just before bonus , check it out , only 35 secs

EDIT: oh boy..339 user(s) are reading this topic 27 members, 311 guests , No pressure.. :blink:

Details separate people.

Google is actually helping the community.

Google apps get real time updates that bring new features and security protocol updates unlike OEM apps.

For example, a new vulnerability has been discovered on the OEM browser but it likely won't be fixed until the next Android update; which some devices never get.

It also helps dealing with fragmentation and solidifying Android even further to compete with iOS. 

There always will be alternatives available at the Play Store and it is likely the OEM apps won't die off completely anyways. :P

So calm your tits.

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

I just think the OEMs should have their own OEM apps for mail, sync, etc, so they can customize it to their device.

Samsung's doing that. (But I don't use it despite my fanboying)

Some of the smart features only work exclusively on the OEM apps, Smart Scroll being a perfect example.

#GALAXY

#ATIV

Samsung's doing that. (But I don't use it despite my fanboying)

Some of the smart features only work exclusively on the OEM apps, Smart Scroll being a perfect example.

How ironic. :P

I've never be fond of third party email clients, such as gmail and ymail, on my iphone; I prefer the stock mail app because it's easy to use and isn't complicated- I just want to see my inbox and that's it.

I still have yet to get into it. :(

same. If anyone has an invite i would love one...

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

same. If anyone has an invite i would love one...

you get them within 2 weeks of asking for one.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Why exactly do you use your name a tag for topics?

..Are you some kind of mahatma that I don't know about?

Noooo It's been 2 weeks and a day (literally, just looked).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

The fact that Google axed the push service for gmail for anyone using anything other than the gmail app os stupid.

I'm here on iOS. I don't want another app to do the same thing my current app does just as well. It does what I want, sends and receives emails.

The fact that Google are trying to step forward to axe OEM apps on phones with their own is starting to annoy me now.

Why exactly do you use your name a tag for topics?

..Are you some kind of mahatma that I don't know about?

Maybe.. , you got a problem with that?

Cut the crap & save this kinda shit for some 12-14 year olds you gag... you got some issue with it PM me . don't expect me to whine with you over shitty thread posts.

Details separate people.

This inbox app is awesome I can't believe that I can actually send people invites seeing as I don't even work for the company and have had it for a day.

Worth the extra app!

ios version please :D

GAMINGCLICHE: Core i5 6500 - Gigabyte H170N-WiFi - Deepcool Gabriel - 16GB HyperX Fury - Asus Strix GTX 1070 OC - NZXT Manta

ORANGEJULIUS-720p: Core i3-3230 - Noctua 9UB-SE2 - Gigabyte B75N-itx - 8gb GSkill Ares - GTX 650Ti - Bitfenix Prodigy (RETIRED)

ios version please :D

Yeah! i read up on that too, it seems they will delay the ios thing for a while only after a significant amount of time has been passed after the introduction to the android platform , even still there wasn't even distant rumors from the source about support on ios on this version, Maybe they'll implement in the next version for apple..

Details separate people.

Yay, now Google can spy on other email services!

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

okay so i only have a few days left. 

Sweet, Thanks.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!