Best matx case for water cooling

Spook_

Soooooo... I currently have a system housed in a HAF X full tower case, and while it has served me well it is freaking huge and weighs an absolute ton (not very good qualities for a rig you intend to take to lan's).

I am interested in a smaller matx case with good water cooling potential for both a CPU and 1 to 2 graphics cards (without an insane amount of modding). I have narrowed my list down to a few but feel free to list any you think are better than my current choices.

These are in no particular order.

1.Fractal Design Arc Mini r2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352034 

2. Corsair 350D

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139021&cm_re=Corsair_350d-_-11-139-021-_-Product

3. Phanteks Evolv

http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-EVOLV.html <--- Currently not available in the U.S.

4. Sliverstone  Fortress FT03

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163176 Note: Yes I realize it is no longer sold on newegg (I have a friend who is willing to sell his) and yes i realize it isn't perfect for water cooling but I think the design is extremely cool. So if there are cases out there like this that work better for water cooling that would be perfect.

Thanks in advance.

My vote goes to the 350D. I've seen amazing water cooled builds in it.

Welcome to the forum btw! :)

"Rawr XD"

I'd say 350D\

You should also consider the Arc mini 2 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Not 350D , Fractal Design mini arc r2 is what you seek

Grant us the joy of song and dance and ever watch over us in the lonely places in which we must walk - Pray to Bastet

Air 240? 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Poll please.

And the 350D is a reasonable size for a Micro ATX case if that matters to you. The Arc Mini is crazy deep meaning that the sizing has simply been taken off the width and height (the two most important things to have LOTS of) and added to the back to make it longer...

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Arc or 350D would be my top two. The Evolv, despite my initial fondness for it gives me mixed feelings now.

The 350D has front 140mm mounts which I really like, but just as a case I like the Arc so much more.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

And the 350D is a reasonable size for a Micro ATX case if that matters to you. The Arc Mini is crazy deep meaning that the sizing has simply been taken off the width and height (the two most important things to have LOTS of) and added to the back to make it longer...

Not really. The 350D is the size of a mid tower. The Arc Mini R2 is better designed and it shows from how much more you can stuff in it than the 350D. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Ok so I have added a poll.

Arc or 350D would be my top two. The Evolv, despite my initial fondness for it gives me mixed feelings now.

The 350D has front 140mm mounts which I really like, but just as a case I like the Arc so much more.

What gave you the mixed feelings for the evolv?

Air 240? 

From what I have seen there isn't really much room for any rads except for the front of the case. 

Arc Mini R2. 360mm rad support clinched it me for me. Especially for a CPU and 1 to 2 Graphics Cards.

Also the front panel on the 350D makes me think restricted air flow. This coming from a person who owns a H440.

2x GTX780 (@1.29ghz) | 2x 840evo 250GB raid0 | i5 4690k (@4.7ghz) | Watercooled Modded H440 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/255872-project-whiteout-v20-h440-watercooled-3xradiators-10-fans

I own the 350D and although I have not done custom loop in it I can see where you would run into problems depending on your hardware.

For example, I have two 3.5" HDDs in the drive cage at the bottom and relocating them to allow for a front rad would be a mess. If I didn't have these than I could remove the cage, Velcro the 2.5" SSD/HDDs to the back of the mobo tray and throw a 240/280 in the front.

I think the 350D aesthetically takes the lot hands down and has a good amount of expandability depending on your hardware but at the same time would limit your options on rad depending on your hardware.

FWIW, I have no problems with airflow on my 350D. I did flip the rear exhaust around to get positive case pressure but, other than that it just worked.

I am a little bias but, my vote goes to the 350D.

9615d1414226193t-my-new-rig-guts.jpg

^My Rig

FWIW, I have no problems with airflow on my 350D. I did flip the rear exhaust around to get positive case pressure but, other than that it just worked.

I could be wrong about the 350D front panel.

Isn't positive pressure kind of pointless when you're running unfiltered intakes?

2x GTX780 (@1.29ghz) | 2x 840evo 250GB raid0 | i5 4690k (@4.7ghz) | Watercooled Modded H440 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/255872-project-whiteout-v20-h440-watercooled-3xradiators-10-fans

Not really. The 350D is the size of a mid tower. The Arc Mini R2 is better designed and it shows from how much more you can stuff in it than the 350D. 

I still don't like how deep the Arc is...

kinda pointless as a Micro-ATX case if it's longer than my desk including cables and whatnot.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

kinda pointless as a Micro-ATX case if it's longer than my desk including cables and whatnot.

Not everyone has your desk. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I could be wrong about the 350D front panel.

Isn't positive pressure kind of pointless when you're running unfiltered intakes?

Yes, I have a magnetic filter on the back  :)

There is a pretty good gap between the fans and the front and on the sides of the front panel. Yes you would probably get better airflow if the front was off but, not that much.

I have two power hungry heat generating OC'd 7970s in there and they get enough air so I'm convinced just about anything will  B)

My vote goes to the Arc mini R2 because of the top rad space and I clicked other because my Node 804 is just asking to be watercooled. (you can probably tell that I'm a Fractal fanboy)

Have a bad day...

ive built in both the mini R2 and 350D and hands down for a custom loop the

mini R2 is far superior than the 350D. radiator options alone speak volumes.

the 350D is a bigger cabinet to build in, but limited factors of a 30mm in the roof

just sealed its death in a functional loop. plus the air inlet is so restrictive, you

should buy another $50 modified front panel to allow more air into the case.

360x 60 in the roof and 240x 60 in the front for the min R2 allows the beefiest

of SLI/CFX with low fan speeds (noise) and thermal control for any reasonable

voltage overclock.

From what I can gather it's only 2 inches (roughly) longer than the 350D and the fact that it supports a 360mm rad is awesome as well. Any other suggestions other than the ones I have posted?

Not everyone has your desk.

No, obviously everybody has my desk water you thinking :P
But 20 inches is deeper than most ATX cases, just saying. Is the Fractal Arc not bigger than the 350D...?

EDIT: Fractal is shorter but elsewhere, both are equally wide and Fractal is deeper.

From what I can gather it's only 2 inches (roughly) longer than the 350D and the fact that it supports a 360mm rad is awesome as well. Any other suggestions other than the ones I have posted?

Hmmm, for watercooling?
Uhm.
Well, the Arc isn't bad - just not for me.
I suppose an mATX Prodigy could do it but it would be a tight fit.

What gave you the mixed feelings for the evolv?

It just seems hugely over sized and restrictive.

With some more thought, my vote goes to the Arc. I like the idea of a solo 360 rad up top. Nice and simple.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

It just seems hugely over sized and restrictive.

With some more thought, my vote goes to the Arc. I like the idea of a solo 360 rad up top. Nice and simple.

Is it really that much bigger? Its kinda hard to get a good understanding for the size of these cases without having actually ever seen any of them in person.

If I were to use the 360mm rad I won't be able to use the 5.25 in bays correct?

Is it really that much bigger? Its kinda hard to get a good understanding for the size of these cases without having actually ever seen any of them in person.

If I were to use the 360mm rad I won't be able to use the 5.25 in bays correct?

Seems it's not actually massive when the measurements are compared.

(L/W/H, mm)

350D: 440-210-450  (L & H may be incorrect, nobody labels the measurements so I'm just guessing which is L and which is H)

Arc Mini: 484-210-405

Evolv: 400-230-450

FT03: 284-235-487

Volume wise, the first 3 are all very close in overall size, despite their differences. The FT03, while being the tallest, has a very small footprint.

Technically you would, there is enough room for one, but you won't have any airflow the the forward fan.

Phanteks mini XL when its out

My Rig : Zotac 780 3GB, i5 4670k, H105, M1211 650W, 8GB 2133mhz vengence pro, Mini R2, 144Hz AOC Gsync Monitor

Accessories : K65, Naos 3200, Superlux 681, Chord CCU1