High VRM temperatures

Go to solution Solved by runit3,

I have a Swiftech H240-X on my CPU, a ROG Hero 7, a 4790K and no overclocking. I tried overclocking to 4.6ghz, I was able to get it with under 1.3V but the temps got a little insane for me...higher than I'm used to. First, at full fan speeds and full load in Prime 95, my CPU got to 75 degrees and the VRM pushed past 60 and kept climbing. I shut it down and went back to default but even just playing WoW, my VRM got to 58 degrees. That just seems high to me because the CPU was at 33 degrees, everything stock. 

I did let everything cool before, and the temps were like that before. With the addition of the 240X, I'm wondering if I should do some MOSFET watercooling. I'd rather not, because it changes the look of the board way too much and I doubt it's effectiveness. Any thoughts? Are these temps ok?

Those temps are perfectly fine, shouldn't have to start worrying about VRM's until ~70C, even then I ran my old X58 w/73C VRM's @load for 5 years. Try XTU or AIDA64 for Haswell benching, less stress on components but the validity is just as good.

CPU won't hit thermal throttling until ~95C and most people call ~80C safe for long synthetic benches, you're well within the safety limits. :D

If you're really worried about the VRM's you can configure your fans to give max airflow over them, might give you a few C of difference.

I have a Swiftech H240-X on my CPU, a ROG Hero 7, a 4790K and no overclocking. I tried overclocking to 4.6ghz, I was able to get it with under 1.3V but the temps got a little insane for me...higher than I'm used to. First, at full fan speeds and full load in Prime 95, my CPU got to 75 degrees and the VRM pushed past 60 and kept climbing. I shut it down and went back to default but even just playing WoW, my VRM got to 58 degrees. That just seems high to me because the CPU was at 33 degrees, everything stock. 

I did let everything cool before, and the temps were like that before. With the addition of the 240X, I'm wondering if I should do some MOSFET watercooling. I'd rather not, because it changes the look of the board way too much and I doubt it's effectiveness. Any thoughts? Are these temps ok?

PC: Intel 10700K, Asus Z490-E Strix, G.Skill Trident Z @ 3200mhz C14, Thermaltake View 71, Custom Water Cooling (EKWB Quantum, 2x 360mm SR1 Radiators, 6 Noctua NF-A12), EVGA GTX1080 ti HydroCopper, Intel 6651TB, Intel 600p 480GB, Windows 10 Pro

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/33844326

Seems fine to me... It can handle that (I think. On GPU's it can)

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Yeah its really no problem at those temps. Although if you did want to overclock I'd probably suggest better cooling on you CPU (such as a water block)

Please use http://pcpartpicker.com/ for everybodones sake!

and quote me if you want me to see a reply please :)

pewpewpewphysicslazers!!!

umm, H240-X is a waterblock

PC: Intel 10700K, Asus Z490-E Strix, G.Skill Trident Z @ 3200mhz C14, Thermaltake View 71, Custom Water Cooling (EKWB Quantum, 2x 360mm SR1 Radiators, 6 Noctua NF-A12), EVGA GTX1080 ti HydroCopper, Intel 6651TB, Intel 600p 480GB, Windows 10 Pro

Those temps are perfectly fine, shouldn't have to start worrying about VRM's until ~70C, even then I ran my old X58 w/73C VRM's @load for 5 years. Try XTU or AIDA64 for Haswell benching, less stress on components but the validity is just as good.

CPU won't hit thermal throttling until ~95C and most people call ~80C safe for long synthetic benches, you're well within the safety limits. :D

If you're really worried about the VRM's you can configure your fans to give max airflow over them, might give you a few C of difference.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Cool (pun intended). At stock everything, the temperatures were not nearly as high after the H240X and I have a sneaking suspicion it wouldn't have been as high still if the heat spreaders were soldered on. I don't want high temps because I generally don't update my rig other than a graphics card once every few years. I just came off my last AMD build whose motherboard lasted me 7 years and I'd like to keep this mobo/cpu combo until well Cannonlake or possibly the tick after into the 7nm node. Originally that's supposed to be 2017 but with the delays I imagine 2019 will be more likely. I'm not too worried about VRM under 60 degrees but it looked like it wasn't gonna stop climbing. Thanks for info guys