Does cheap 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter affect sound quality?

Kajornkeat

Hi guys, I'd like to know if cheap adapter affect sound quality. I'll be getting HE-500 soon to use with my O2+ODAC. The problem is my o2/odac has a 3.5mm port so I'm going to need an adapter for HE-500. Which one should I buy for my setup? Grado/Audeze adapter or cheap one?

no. not at ALL

its a analog signal. both the 1/4in and the 1/8 inch have 3 wires inside. it can and will never change the sound quality, but 1/4 does look more professional :P

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

No it doesn't, i do the same thing with my HE 400's but other way around.

| i5 4690K 4,4Ghz | Gtx 680 Msi twin frozr Oc edition | Kingston HyperX 2 x 4 Gb | Asus Z97-A | Seagate Barracuda 1 TB| Samsung 840 EVO SSD 120GB | Fractal Design Integra 750 W | All gently placed with great fright inside a Fractal Design Define R4 |

| ProJect Head Box S USB with Hifiman HE-400's plugged in | Check profile page for more Audio shizzle(dizzle) |

Get the one that is least bulky and the best looking aesthetically. The Audeze connectors tend to be bulky and ugly.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Get the one that is least bulky and the best looking aesthetically. The Audeze connectors tend to be bulky and ugly.

Ugly is subjective. The more bulky 6.3mm plug tends to latch into the plug better. Just as the 3.5mm holds it's plug better than the 2.5mm.

I used to have a phone that had a 2.5mm audio jack that would never stay plugged in... dubstep has never been played louder in a middle school library

317 is watching. 317 is everywhere. 317 is life.

Well, maybe don't use the cheapest you can find (under $1 stuffs). Cheap ones usually don't have good QC, so there are quite a few that got problems, like wobbling contacts. Some even got incorrect length (which should be standardized)

Personally, I'd go with gold plated (yellow ones), because:

- looks better

- stronger against oxidation, because gold is known as one of the least reactive metal

Ugly is subjective. The more bulky 6.3mm plug tends to latch into the plug better. Just as the 3.5mm holds it's plug better than the 2.5mm.

I used to have a phone that had a 2.5mm audio jack that would never stay plugged in... dubstep has never been played louder in a middle school library

I'm pretty sure we know that ugly is subjective bro.

And I'm not even comparing 6.3mm to 3.5mm, I'm talking about the bulkiness of one adapter to the next.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Every time you add adapters, extension cables etc. there's a chance it may degrade the signal. Usually there shouldn't be any problems, but I'd stay away from the cheapest ones just to be sure.

Wow, I got a 'ACCESS FORBIDDEN. Your IP is being logged for investigation into the matter' when I clicked that link.

I did too, wtf

IT'S A TRAP!!!

Good thing I'm not on my personal computer atm, don't know when the FBI or CIA would come knocking at my door :)

Well, maybe don't use the cheapest you can find (under $1 stuffs). Cheap ones usually don't have good QC, so there are quite a few that got problems, like wobbling contacts. Some even got incorrect length (which should be standardized)

Personally, I'd go with gold plated (yellow ones), because:

- looks better

- stronger against oxidation, because gold is known as one of the least reactive metal

I want to investigate this gold plated connector stuff. I mean, how much gold do they use in the process of making a $5 connector nobody cares about? I'm not willing to just believe the label and think it's going to prevent anything.

For no strain and less clutter right in front of the O2/Odac, I suggest using one of those adapters that have a cord leading to a right angled 3.5mm connector. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000068O6B

The right angled 3.5mm prevents clutter, and the fact that the place where the headphone's quarter inch jack is plugged into the converter is a bit further away removes all strain.

I want to investigate this gold plated connector stuff. I mean, how much gold do they use in the process of making a $5 connector nobody cares about? I'm not willing to just believe the label and think it's going to prevent anything.

For no strain and less clutter right in front of the O2/Odac, I suggest using one of those adapters that have a cord leading to a right angled 3.5mm connector. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000068O6B

The right angled 3.5mm prevents clutter, and the fact that the place where the headphone's quarter inch jack is plugged into the converter is a bit further away removes all strain.

I think the thickness is usually 5 micron = 5 micrometer = 5/1000000 meter

I've read somewhere that a new brass would have similar color, but oxidize relatively fast compared to gold.

Wow, I got a 'ACCESS FORBIDDEN. Your IP is being logged for investigation into the matter' when I clicked that link.

Lmao for some reason I don't get this on mobile but I get this on my work computer.

Anyway, something like this is what I meant - http://www.audeze.com/sites/default/files/styles/amb_gallery_full/public/Audeze-Adapter-14-to-18-01.jpg?itok=QQudS9WT

Gold is also a soft metal so it should in theory provide a better contact than a harder metal. An even better material than gold for connectors is rhodium.

Got that too. I thought it's a trap from NSA spy on the forum xD 

Actually that's a good idea imo. Unfortunately, all adapters I could find around my place are straight or solid one. Shouldn't be problem for me though, got plenty spaces on my desk. I think I'll get Grado mini adapter. Don't want to risk damage the connector on o2/odac.

Gold is also a soft metal so it should in theory provide a better contact than a harder metal. An even better material than gold for connectors is rhodium.

Gold = soft metal = true

Soft metal provide better contact = can't find the theory base on this. Looking at this table: http://environmentalchemistry.com/yogi/periodic/electrical.html, silver got the highest conductivity, higher than gold, although silver is a hard metal by itself (not mixed with other metal). Too bad silver tarnish/oxidize easily

Rhodium is better than gold for connectors = in what term? If strictly in term of electric conductivity, it's lower than gold, as stated on the table. People started using rhodium plating for connectors because it's not as soft as gold, and quite resistant to tarnish or oxidation

I'd recommend the Audeze connector like @MayflowerElectronics did (or something like it).  I have one that I used to use with my LCD-2 until I got an amp that could support my 1/4" jack.  It's ridiculously well built IMO.

http://www.audeze.com/products/accessories/14-18-adapter

It's $20 though, so if you don't have a spare 20, get something cheaper as it won't make a difference in sound.  IMO the build quality is worth it though.

I think sennheiser makes one too, it may be less/more expensive. check amazon/ebay.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089