AMD or Intel build for Photoshop/Indesign/Illustrator?

Will I need an Intel CPU for Photoshop/Indesign/Illustrator? I am stuck between these two builds. Which one should I get to be more future proof? Thanks! :) Added a poll for you to vote

Haswell: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/1342l

AMD:http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/1342Z

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Well firstly, drop the Non-K Processor and grab yourself the unlocked processor <_<

Don't quote me, but you'll benefit from Hyper-threading in those applications, so an upgrade the the I7 may be in order.

Akula  | Dimastech Test Bench | Watercooled | Tri GTX 680's | Build of the Week

Mercury | Caselabs Mercury S3 | Watercooled | GTX Titan | Build of the Week

Armada | Define R4 Titanium | Watercooled | EK Waterblocks | Newest Buildlog

Of course not, in fact the 8 cores in the AMD cpu will most likely help you even more in editing/rendering

Me: Yeah I just really can't get my H220 working again, I've tried everything that was suggested in the forum.

Brian (Swiftech Support): Hmm, have you tried slapping it?

Between two of this,i would pick amd because it has unlocked cpu

Well firstly, drop the Non-K Processor and grab yourself the unlocked processor <_<

Don't quote me, but you'll benefit from Hyper-threading in those applications, so an upgrade the the I7 may be in order.

Can't go with a K cpu because its too expensive. Trying to keep it around the $1000 budget and don't really plan to go back to Ivy Bridge.

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Grab atleast 16GB of ram! i5 is fine, i7 will be a little bit quicker.

Don't know about AMD CPU... Also you may want to consider an Nvidia Graphicscard for the CUDA Support in Adobe programms.

Christopher Kruse | Webdeveloper (Interface & Applications)

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

Grab atleast 16GB of ram! i5 is fine, i7 will be a little bit quicker.

Don't know about AMD CPU... Also you may want to consider an Nvidia Graphicscard for the CUDA Support in Adobe programms.

Why would I need 16gb of ram? I am not doing any video rendering. I thought that Adobe now uses OpenGL.

Why would I need 16gb of ram? I am not doing any video rendering. I thought that Adobe now uses OpenGL.

Because you will fill up your 8GB in a couple of seconds, as soon as you open a couple of big pictures or layouts.

Usually you can multiply the size of your PSD files by around 50-100 for the ram usage...

Just opened 6x PSD Layouts and 6x midsize PNG files and filled up 8GB with Photoshop alone.

Don't know about the OpenCL, will check

Edit:// Just did, yes with CS6 there is OpenCL support. Don't know about the performance Nvidia vs AMD, would be neat to get some benchmarks.

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

Will I need an Intel CPU for Photoshop/Indesign/Illustrator? I am stuck between these two builds. Which one should I get to be more future proof? Thanks! :) Added a poll for you to vote 

Haswell: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/1342l

AMD:http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/1342Z

I hate that word, I'm not sure what benefit haswell is going to bring you when it comes to editing photo's if I'm honest.For the task I'd say both are going to be equally capable, but I only do it as a very minor hobby.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

I hate that word, I'm not sure what benefit haswell is going to bring you when it comes to editing photo's if I'm honest.For the task I'd say both are going to be equally capable, but I only do it as a very minor hobby.

How about "what would be better in the long term?" :)

Do you guys think that it is worth it to ditch the SSD and get a 3670k?

I thk for photoshop and illustrator ,it is better to have ssd because some of the files can be quite big in size.

I thk for photoshop and illustrator ,it is better to have ssd because some of the files can be quite big in size.

Still need votes because right now they are even... lol

Don't know which side to go still...

I know that AMD will beat Intel in apps that are multi threaded but Intel beats it in single thread performance...

If I were you I will get the new Haswell i7 Processors. 

Or if you like go grab one of them from either Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge. 

They are quite cheap now. :)

Go with Intel. As Linus says, "Not all cores are created equal" and that is a totally true statement. AMD just isn't doing it right now, and I wish they were. I miss the Phenom II X4 days.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.0GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 RAM: 12GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 Storage: Samsung 120GB 840 SSD Cooling: Corsair H100 with Noctuas Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2

SpeedTest: http://www.speedtest.net/result/3243874809.png

Intel will run CS5 6 or what ever one you are running better but not by much. Its the GPU that will make your life much happier when you turn on "Use Grapics Power" in these programs. Remember your GPU is faster then your CPU always. If you have the cash then go Intel/Nvidia if you don't have that kind of cash go AMD/AMD either way make sure GPU is decent and you will be happy. Below is a screenshot of that option in Photoshop like I mentioned above.

Edit: Don't forget that for any Video/Photo editing RAM is also very important 8GB min but 16GB prefurred.

Screen_Shot_2013_06_05_at_1_46_19_AM.jpg

CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.8ghz  |  Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |  Video Card:  Radeon HD 7970 Ghz Edition 6GB  |  Ram: 32Gb Corsair 2400Mhz  |  SSD: Samsung 840 120GB X2 Raid 0  |  Storage: WD Black 2TB X2 Raid 0  |  Power Supply: Corsair AX1200   Case: Corsair 800D  |  Monitors: 3X 2560X1440 LED  |  OS: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit  |  Keyboard: Logitech G19  |  Mouse: Logitech G600 MMO  |  GamerTag: ZombieS1ayerKing  |  Quote: “Programming is like sex, one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life.”

So its a tie again... lol Do you think its worth going intel by sacrificing the ability to overclock?

I think you would benefit greatly from the multi threading of an 8-core unless you run a very old version of the Adobe software. I'm assuming that many (if not most) of the opinions stated here are from a gaming perspective and for that, yes, you would get better performance from the Intel cpu.

Potato

If you can afford a 3770k or 4770k then get one of those. Otherwise an 8350 would be my next choice. As for the video cards, the AMD cards are better for Photoshop and illustrator because of opencl. The only adobe products that benefit from cuda are premiere and after effects. However, future iterations of these will use opencl as well without having to run a patch.

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

If you can afford a 3770k or 4770k then get one of those. Otherwise an 8350 would be my next choice. As for the video cards, the AMD cards are better for Photoshop and illustrator because of opencl. The only adobe products that benefit from cuda are premiere and after effects. However, future iterations of these will use opencl as well without having to run a patch.

Do you got benchmarks for OpenCL? (Nvidia vs AMD)  Would be highly interesting.

Do you got benchmarks for OpenCL? (Nvidia vs AMD)  Would be highly interesting.

Have you tried Google. the FX8350 is great especially when OC and cheaper.

FX8120 @ 5.0GHz | Sabertooth 990FX | Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB @ 2133MHz | Powercolor HD7950 @ 1300/1800 | Bitfenix Shinobi XL Modded | Corsair AX850 | Mushkin 120GB & Seagate 2TB | Bitfenix Recon | 5X SP120 PE | 6X Yate Loon 120mm HS

Koolance 200 Res | 2X Koolance 360 Rads | Danger Den CPX Pro | EK 7950 Block | Koolance CPU Block | Bitspower & XSPC Fittings

Green Machine

Have you tried Google.

No, but isn't that what a discussion is for? :D

An OCed 8320 or 8350 should be fine for your needs. The AM3+ socket will also support Steamroller I believe, so you'll have an upgrade path without buying a new motherboard.

0101%20Bitmining.png

This GPGPU Benchmark gives you a bit of an idea of how much better optimized AMD cards are in OpenCL, The Nvidias might as well be case warmers at how poor they perform in GPGPU. This is using an OpenCL miner so it gives a good performance evaluation for optimizations.

Probably going with the 4670k since the price is around the same as a 3570k. Do you guys think this is a good idea?

Take a look at this. I chose my processor with adobe products in mind and struggled between AMD and Intel, but I was eventually convinced to go with intel and an i7 even on a $1200 budget (originally had an i5 in mind but switched the i7 and a weaker gpu).

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-performance-comparison,3370-13.html

My Build

Corsair Obsidian 350d // I7-4770k  // Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H  // MSI Gaming N760 TF 2GD5 GeForce GTX 760 // Corsair Vengance (2x8GB) 16GB // Cooler Master Seidon 240m (push-pull) // Corsair SP120 (x2) //1TB WD Blue // 120GB Samsung 840 SSD // Corsair CX600M // Win 8 - Ubuntu - OSX (on the way)