i5 4670K upgrade to i7 4790K?

Looks like mad trolls just came out of their caves. xD

PC : | CPU: Intel 4790K | COOLER: Corsair H105 w/ JetFlo's Push/Pull | MOBO: EVGA Z97 Classified | GPU: EVGA FTW 4GB GTX 970 X2 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 1866Mhz 32GB | CASE: HAF Stacker 945 | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | DISPLAY: Asus MX299Q | SSD: 2 X Corsair Neutron GTX 480 GB in RAID0 | mSATA SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB | HDD: 4 X Western Digital RED 4 TB in JBOD |

Because you're spouting BS and doing a disservice to those who don't know that for gaming i5 =/= i7 for everything except Watch Dogs.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Would not recommend a CPU upgrade since you have a solid CPU already. I say you save you money and get a new high end graphics card 2-3 years down the road. Must say you have one heck of a system. 

Shifter  :D

For gaming it's not, it's the i7 4790K.

Source? Benchmarks? Anything?

You should get better by not simply repeating what others says. Do you know why I picked the H105 and not the H100i that almost everybody recommend ?

What the heck does H100i/H105 have to do with this?

Yes, please go back in.

Because you're spouting BS and doing a disservice to those who don't know that for gaming i5 =/= i7 for everything except Watch Dogs.

Not to be pedantic but doesn't "=/=" mean "not equal to (or <>)" and "==" would be the same as (equal)? At least that's how I learned it.

Source? Benchmarks? Anything?

What the heck does H100i/H105 have to do with this?

Yes, please go back in.

Not to be pedantic but doesn't "=/=" mean "not equal to (or <>)" and "==" would be the same as (equal)? At least that's how I learned it.

Idk to be honest, what you say makes a lot of sense. I remember seeing someone else use that somewhere and I was just like that looks cool and went with it. Should have done my hw on that one. Thank.you for correcting me.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

If money isn't object I say do it, I upgraded from 3770K to 4790K myself and if you want, feel free to write me a list of your actual PC parts here so I could make MY recommendations about what you could improve for the long run as I did with mine.

Just to give you a chance to believe how unbiased and logical I'm, I've upgraded from 3770K to 4790K for those reasons :

Haswell architecture is way snapier

Rendering is way faster on 4790K then 3770K (both are i7 yes but still have major difference for rendering not really that much for gaming)

Upgraded TIM, the way the die make contact with the heatspreader gives my 4790K in my setup a 45 C max on 100% usage when I render videos

But I haven't switched to X79/X99 even I render videos because I render usage is about 5% of my PC usage so I prefered the Superior gaming performance of the 4790K over the X79/X99 platform

I sincerely hope you don' really believe the i7 4790k is better at any performance than the x99 platform. Get out of your dream world.

REMEMBER TO QUOTE SO I GET A NOTIFCATION! Add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Shroomster/ Review(s) more to come

And you have the balls to make a thread about there being a lot of trolls on the forum and you are doing stuff like this? Shame on you.

REMEMBER TO QUOTE SO I GET A NOTIFCATION! Add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Shroomster/ Review(s) more to come

Don't be blind.

PC : | CPU: Intel 4790K | COOLER: Corsair H105 w/ JetFlo's Push/Pull | MOBO: EVGA Z97 Classified | GPU: EVGA FTW 4GB GTX 970 X2 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 1866Mhz 32GB | CASE: HAF Stacker 945 | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | DISPLAY: Asus MX299Q | SSD: 2 X Corsair Neutron GTX 480 GB in RAID0 | mSATA SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB | HDD: 4 X Western Digital RED 4 TB in JBOD |

If you were actually watching LinusTechTips videos you would know what I'm talking about. I'm here to help people if you have personnal matter, it won't be solved with me.

If you were actually watching LinusTechTips videos you would know what I'm talking about. I'm here to help people if you have personnal matter, it won't be solved with me.

What in the actual f#/$ are you talking about?

Just stop harassing me please.

Then stop lying to people. Or provide evidence of what you're saying.

There's a LinusTechTips video showing a G3258 being outpaced by a few FPS against a 4790K :)

Don't use the forum for personnal matter.

You make it personal when you come in here lying to fans of Linus and the forum.

Yes past i5/i7 were pretty much equal in games because they were clocked about 100mhz apart. Now with Devils canyon they are 500mhz apart. Yes you can overclock to have the same speed, but stock for stock the i7 will outperform the i5. Is the extra price worth it? That all up to who ever is buying it.

Don't make this personal xD, this person makes little sense even when its not related to tech!

CPU - i5 4670K || Motherboard - Asus Z87-C  || RAM - Crucial Ballistix Tactical Memory 8GB || GPU - ASUS GTX 970 Strix || Case - Corsair 330R || Storage - 1TB Seagate || PSU - Corsair CX750 || Displays - AOC 21.5 LED x2 || Cooling - Arctic F12 PWM (x2) Corsair 120+140mm || Keyboard - Corsair K70 MX Red || Mouse - Roccat Kova+ || Sound - Thermaltake TTe Shock Headset

Keep the i5 don't listen to the idiots.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

only watchdogs will bennefits from it, but thats all.

Stop lies girl.

rSJ7bbm.jpg

5YydqZO.jpg

Also BF4 supports HT, I just don't have that game to show the screenshot.

So yes, if you want better CPU, go grab i7.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

Stop lies girl.

Also BF4 supports HT, I just don't have that game to show the screenshot.

So yes, if you want better CPU, go grab i7.

Nokt, its time we had "the talk".

A lot of the things you are saying about Intel are just not true.  While yes, it is true that Intel is vastly superior to AMD for gaming, the way in which you formulate your arguments are unfounded, and backed up with poor proof.  Especially the 660 benchmark stuff, please don't use that anymore.

Watchdogs IS the only game that truly benefits from i5 to i7 when they are both at the same speed.  I think a lot of confusion arises because benchmarks are often shown at stock speeds.  The i5-4690k is 3.5Ghz, while the i7-4790k is 4.0-4.4Ghz.  That is a BIG gap, of course it is going to look like a big difference between i5 to i7.  The key though is that when they are at the same speed, they perform the same.  Check out the benchmarks below.

BF4 does not perform better when i5 and i7 are at the same speed.  Heck, this test shows the i5 doing better.

For all games except watch dogs, when both the i5 and i7 are set to the same speed, they perform the same.

http://www.hardwarepal.com/best-cpu-gaming-9-processors-8-games-tested/4/

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7189/choosing-a-gaming-cpu-september-2013/10

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8227/devils-canyon-review-intel-core-i7-4790k-and-i5-4690k/5

I love the enthusiasm of trying to help people and prove these AMD fanboys wrong, but you are providing the wrong information in your arguments and it weakens our overall message.

snip that shit!

BF4 does take good advantage of the i7, BUT you need very high-end GPU solution to notice it in current games...many other games will get that kind of results as well (Crysis 3, far cry 3, dead rising 3 among others)

R9 295X2 will see a nice boost from the i7 for the 120hz users

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-fx-8370e-cpu,3929-7.html

Capture.jpg

All you've managed to link so far as evidence to prove your point is GPU limited graphs and benchmarking.

ALSO please note that these bench results for BF4 are SINGLE PLAYER benchmarking...the gap would grow even bigger when using full 64 player online conquest servers as this would be a situation in which the CPU performance would be much more important.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Nokt, its time we had "the talk".

A lot of the things you are saying about Intel are just not true.  While yes, it is true that Intel is vastly superior to AMD for gaming, the way in which you formulate your arguments are unfounded, and backed up with poor proof.  Especially the 660 benchmark stuff, please don't use that anymore.

Watchdogs IS the only game that truly benefits from i5 to i7 when they are both at the same speed.  I think a lot of confusion arises because benchmarks are often shown at stock speeds.  The i5-4690k is 3.5Ghz, while the i7-4790k is 4.0-4.4Ghz.  That is a BIG gap, of course it is going to look like a big difference between i5 to i7.  The key though is that when they are at the same speed, they perform the same.  Check out the benchmarks below.

BF4 does not perform better when i5 and i7 are at the same speed.  Heck, this test shows the i5 doing better.

For all games except watch dogs, when both the i5 and i7 are set to the same speed, they perform the same.

http://www.hardwarepal.com/best-cpu-gaming-9-processors-8-games-tested/4/

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7189/choosing-a-gaming-cpu-september-2013/10

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8227/devils-canyon-review-intel-core-i7-4790k-and-i5-4690k/5

I love the enthusiasm of trying to help people and prove these AMD fanboys wrong, but you are providing the wrong information in your arguments and it weakens our overall message.

How it's wrong? Did you actually see the GTX 660 screens I posted? GTX 660 ti had a worse result than GTX 660 cause it had FX cpu. We did it on other forum. How can you explain it? And by the way AMD owner's Nvidia driver is even newer. Explain plz.

b4df23e84a77.jpg

5cb952fcba26.jpg

Also FX's memory controller is worse. See why:

maxxmem benchmark. 2400mhz ram on fx 8120 4.5ghz cpu:

aDsC85X.jpg

and now see my ram speed on my i7 4.2ghz. I even downclocked it to 2133mhz:

pcEMFSh.jpg

If you don't trust my screens then it's another point, but those screens are real.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

Yes it will gives you more gaming performance and the 4790K is the BEST gaming CPU ever made. I hope someone will try to counter that fact ahah But it will not gives you as much performance as spending that money on a better graphics and sell your GTX 780 for a descent price to help paying your new graphic card. (GTX 970 or GTX 980 if can afford it, it's *%$%&?% BEAST of a graphic card.

If money isn't object I say do it, I upgraded from 3770K to 4790K myself and if you want, feel free to write me a list of your actual PC parts here so I could make MY recommendations about what you could improve for the long run as I did with mine.

Just to give you a chance to believe how unbiased and logical I'm, I've upgraded from 3770K to 4790K for those reasons :

Haswell architecture is way snapier

Rendering is way faster on 4790K then 3770K (both are i7 yes but still have major difference for rendering not really that much for gaming)

Upgraded TIM, the way the die make contact with the heatspreader gives my 4790K in my setup a 45 C max on 100% usage when I render videos

But I haven't switched to X79/X99 even I render videos because I render usage is about 5% of my PC usage so I prefered the Superior gaming performance of the 4790K over the X79/X99 platform

So yeah, change your graphic cards first then change your CPU for 4790K, your motherboard might support it with a BIOS update, contact Gigabyte just to make sure before you buy the processor. Then I would change your motherboard for a Z97 like Maximus VII Hero, then I would change your RAM for someting like 2 x 8 Corsair Dominator Plantium DDR3 1866mhz. You don't have to go through this update path but by looking at your parts this what I would do, myself I bet on my 4790K setup for the long run, Intel shown that owning a i7 mainstream gives you the edge in gaming for over 4 years now and that any mainstream i7 all get the same gaming performance edge too. I expect to see next mainstream i7 to come with more expensive DDR4 slots that don't give anything benefits to gaming anyway.

For gaming it's not, it's the i7 4790K.

You should get better by not simply repeating what others says. Do you know why I picked the H105 and not the H100i that almost everybody recommend ?

Don't be mad here.

Don't be blind.

There is a thing called editing a post...

speaking of wich:

EDIT: woops, didnt relize the date of this thread

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."