Plug/Unplug Headphones when turning on AMP

Denoxx

Hey guys

I'm new to the audio-world, I've finally decided to switch from my gaming-headset (G930) to real headphones (currently looking at the DT880).

I've bought an AMP/DAC combo-unit, the Yulong U100, which was on sale on massdrop.

Now, I've never had an AMP before, and I found multiple threads about how turning your AMP on with headphones plugged in, can seriously damage them, but on the other hand turning the AMP on without headphones would damage the AMP, so I'm a bit confused.

I know that there is some relay-mechanism in some AMPs, preventing them from damaging the headphones when leaving them plugged in, but unfortunately I haven't found any evidence if the U100 has something like this.

I'm used to just turning my headset on and play, how is that with a combo like this? I'm going to use them for gaming and music on my PC.

Is there anyone with a U100 who could explain me how I should treat my equipment?

Don't have a U100, but if an amp has a hard time turning on without either damaging itself or your headphones, the amp is retarded.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Don't have a U100, but if an amp has a hard time turning on without either damaging itself or your headphones, the amp is retarded.

:) Well I didn't say it is the case with the U100, actually I'm trying to find out. 

Posts like http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/headphone-amp-ok-to-turn-on-without-phones-plugged-in.263680/ are, what make me insecure. I dont want to damage anything.

That thread was asking about a tube amp, which is different. Plus, the final example given was legit, but was for the old Asgard version. That particular model suffered a fatal flaw that could damage headphones, but it has since then been fixed and a lot of fights went on... It's all settled now. That particular case is an isolated, scandalous incident. It shouldn't be a problem for your U100. Here is Nwavguy's blog post on the incident: http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/07/banned-at-head-fi.html

The guy in your thread also said:

Leaving a headphone plugged in to supply a load is a different issue. I'm only aware of it being an issue for certain tube amps that have transformers in the output stage.

Which, once again, the U100 isn't a tube amp.

I would've went with O2/Odac even if it's not currently on Massdrop right now (it has been in the past).

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

So you'd say its no problem to have my AMP on the PC all the time and plug headphones in/out when I want to use them?

So you'd say its no problem to have my AMP on the PC all the time and plug headphones in/out when I want to use them?

Yes.

And unless somebody credible attacks my position, I feel relatively confident that I am right. The shut-off/turn-on problems were on an isolate incident for one specific product. The others were for exotic, specific types of tube amps, neither of which applies to you.

Yes.

And unless somebody credible attacks my position, I feel relatively confident that I am right. The shut-off/turn-on problems were on an isolate incident for one specific product. The others were for exotic, specific types of tube amps, neither of which applies to you.

Cool :) thats what I was hoping for. Thank you. 

I was worried it'd be a big change from a headset to a headphone (not audio-wise, more like handling-wise)

You also might get hit by a car when you walk down the street to get ice cream tomorrow.  :(

The world is a dangerous place.

Wear your headphone before switching on the amp. Without any sound source playing, turn on the amp. If you hear a loud pop, then it's hazardous to your headphone. A mild pop should be okay. No pop is the best.

A good relay system will give a soft click on the unit after a few second, but sometimes it's so small, it's barely audible. 

A half decent headphone amp should be okay, as the designs are already aimed for headphones (very sensitive speakers)

Wear your headphone before switching on the amp. Without any sound source playing, turn on the amp. If you hear a loud pop, then it's hazardous to your headphone. A mild pop should be okay. No pop is the best.

A good relay system will give a soft click on the unit after a few second, but sometimes it's so small, it's barely audible.

A half decent headphone amp should be okay, as the designs are already aimed for headphones (very sensitive speakers)

How damaging could it be? If it would actually sound loud on the headphones, would they survive this?

How damaging could it be? If it would actually sound loud on the headphones, would they survive this?

Do you have a pair of earbuds that you don't care about? Plug them in and turn on the unit with nothing playing, if it makes a pop noise it doesn't have a relay built in.

The u100 isn't a very powerful amp, it shouldn't damage anything TBH.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I think such caution is not warranted. We don't do this kind of procedure for any other amp in existence, we only think about it here because he asked. Still, it'd be a fun mini-project I guess and shouldn't be much of a hassle to try.

:D Ok, thanks to you all. I'll just try it the way I'd want to use it, and if I hear something, I'll look  further into it :) 

Thanks for all your support.