would me running a FX8000 series bottleneck a R9 280?

@Faceman I'm not saying that it will not bottleneck once going multi GPUs I'm saying single card wont have much of an issue in most cases. He was saying that the FX-8000 series WILL bottleneck anything over a GTX 660 which is completely false

Spoiler

CPU: i5-6600k MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming RAM: G.Skill 16GB 2800Mhz 15-15-15-35, GPU: Sapphire R9 290 SSD: Samsung 840 250GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2, Cooling: EK supremecy EVO ,EK-FC R9 290X with backplate, XSPC EX240 Crossflow & Alphacool UT60 240mm, XSPC D5 Bayres w/ Alphacool VPP655, 7/16-5/8 Compressions/Tubing, Noctua NF-F12 x4 PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 850W Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 http://valid.x86.fr/8g2m02

What about you, have you tried it on AMD cpu's before?

Why should I downgrade? lol

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

im sorry you are completely misinformed about the AMD CPUs as i am running a FX-6300 with a R9 290 and i do NOT bottleneck the GPU as the GPU is at 100% with all games i play and the highest CPU usage i get is only 65%. if you are going to tell people that a product line isnt worthy without even trying it yourself you dont even have a leg to stand on. yes i know you are an intel fanboy by just looking at your pic but you saying this doesnt help anyone as you are misinforming them about products that you havent even touched and experienced yourself. if you want i will run performance shots of my rig and i will prove once and for all that AMD CPUs are worthy of ANY card

Yes it's crap CPU. And no, I'm not misinformed, I speak facts. You don't know it's bottlenecking cause you don't own Intel cpu to compare. Here's proof:

As we see here FX-8320 is oc'ed to 4.7GHz paired with GTX 660ti & getting P26673 in 3DMark Vantage.

b4df23e84a77.jpg

Now look at this one: i7 3770 oc'ed to 4.3GHz paired with GTX 660 (note it's GTX 660, even slower than GTX 660ti) & it got P28380 in 3DMark Vantage.

5cb952fcba26.jpg

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

Yes it's crap CPU. And no, I'm not misinformed, I speak facts. You don't know it's bottlenecking cause you don't own Intel cpu to compare. Here's proof:

As we see here FX-8320 is oc'ed to 4.7GHz paired with GTX 660ti & getting P26673 in 3DMark Vantage.

Now look at this one: i7 3770 oc'ed to 4.3GHz paired with GTX 660 (note it's GTX 660, even slower than GTX 660ti) & it got P28380 in 3DMark Vantage.

lol so because an i7-3770k scores higher in a synthetic benchmark, means that the FX is bottlenecking the gpu?

lol you are realy funny :D

First of all you have no single clue what you are talking about, i allready told you that before.

Secondly, who care´s about synthetic benchmarks? its all about the games.

Synthetic benchmarks dont tell a jackshit about how a cpu performs in gaming.

There a diffrent game engines, and all those engines work diffrently.

3Dmark is just a synthetic benchmark, and doesnt tell anything realy.

lol so because an i7-3770k scores higher in a synthetic benchmark, means that the FX is bottlenecking the gpu?

lol first of all you have no single clue what you are talking about, i allready told you that before.

Secondly, who care´s about synthetic benchmarks? its all about the games.

Synthetic benchmarks dont tell a jackshit about how a cpu performs in gaming.

There a diffrent game engines, and all those engines work diffrently.

3Dmark is just a synthetic benchmark, and doesnt tell anything realy.

I can use unigin valley / heaven, passmark, and all that synthetic crap.

But it still doesnt tell anything.

You have no idea what are you talking about kid...

Benchmark is like a game, you just don't move with mouse & keyboard. Benchamarks are made to measure GPU power. That is their goal. Learn something, god damn it!

You have no idea what are you talking about kid...

Benchmark is like a game, you just don't move with mouse & keyboard. Benchamarks are made to measure GPU power. That is their goal. Learn something, god damn it!

So that the 3770k scores higher in 3D mark then the FX8350. with GTX660

Means that the FX8350 bottlenecks in every single game out there?

Whahaha you are realy funny.

you have no clue what you are talking about again.

But yeah, tons of people over here allready told you that before.

So yeah, #ignore lol :D

@Faceman I'm not saying that it will not bottleneck once going multi GPUs I'm saying single card wont have much of an issue in most cases. He was saying that the FX-8000 series WILL bottleneck anything over a GTX 660 which is completely false

While what Nokt is saying is a bit exaggerated, and not a perfect test, he is  right that AMD FX processors bottleneck high end GPUs.

"To put it nicely, the FX-8370E is a true middle-of-the-road CPU. Using it only makes sense as long as the graphics card you choose comes from a similar performance segment.

Depending on the game in question, AMD’s new processoricon1.png has the potential to keep you happy around the AMD Radeon R9 270X/285 or Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 or 660 Ti level.

A higher- or even high-end graphics card doesn’t make sense, as pairing it with AMD's FX-8370E simply limits the card's potential."

-Tom's Hardware

More Benchmarks:

http://www.hardcoreware.net/intel-core-i3-4340-review/2/

http://www.hardwarepal.com/best-cpu-gaming-9-processors-8-games-tested/4/

In gaming situations, even the i3 beats out the FX8s. Games need strong cores, not many weak cores.

In Cinebench, which is a synthetic, you can see the FX8 even when overclocked to 4.8Ghz bottlenecks R9 290/GTX 780.  The FPS doesn't even break 100.  Meanwhile, the i5-4670k @ stock 3.4Ghz is pushing 120fps with the same GPU.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

While what Nokt is saying is a bit exaggerated, and not a perfect test, he is  right that AMD FX processors bottleneck high end GPUs.

What Nokt says is totaly BS. :)

GTX660 is not highend.

Also again synthetic benchmarks, dont reflect real world gaming scenario´s.

But that just as a side note.

That a FX 8 core starts to bottleneck highend gpu´s in some situation, cpu bound thats true.

But thats not what Nokt is saying.

Why should I downgrade? lol

I'm just saying that my R9 270X doesn't bottleneck with my 8320, you don't have to agree with what i'm saying and make a big deal out of it. That's just my experience with a FX 8320 and a R9 270X. I don't need anything powerful as long it suits my needs and runs fine for me.

Okay, so first off here is a link comparing the gtx 970 and the r9 280x, in case you ever oc the 280 if you get it. You will all see why this link is needed.

I did my own test, took my 8350 and down clocked to 3.8ghz, stock speed and gimped it to a fx4130. I then ran BF4, because synthetic benchmarks don't matter unless you are going to competitions and if you are don't waste your money on that chip. Synthetic benchmarks do give an indication and one of the best ways we have to compare the power of different gpus don't get me wrong but they don't matter beyond trying to compare cards.

So I took my gimped 8350(now a fx4130) and played bf4, yes the cpu usage was high the entire time. It stayed in the 60-90% range, this is starting to create a bottle neck yes but you can easily overclock those chips. The gpu stayed @ 99% utilization at all times, minus when I died because I suck at bf4. I left the gpu at stock boosting of 1346mhz.

I played it at a 4k resolution downsampled to 1080p, I was playing a 64person map and took screen shots of the cpu usage and gpu usage. The cpu reached 100% loading the game up when it flicked the screen black switching to full screen. The first pic is the gimped 8350 @ 3.8ghz. The next is BF4 at 4k with no AA and then the last is max AA. I was getting 30-40fps with AA on and 50-65 with it off.

If I can run the gtx 970 at 100% utilization you should be able to use the r9 280, even the 280x to it's full ability. It won't run multiple high end cards, I was wrong as I found out doing my own tests. If you have questions or need more pics for proof let me know and I will happily get them for you.

Sorry for the long post :)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bottleneck

Using Merriam's dictionary to set a definition of bottle necking the gpu in my posts does not down throttle the gpu core at all. It stays boosted at max speed and the gpu usage itself only drops when I died because it doesn't need to render so hard. Now yes there are way better processors out there that would do a incredibly better job than this, I am looking to upgrade myself. But this 'gimped' 4130 allows it to run at full utilization.

post-111549-0-47356300-1413349012_thumb.

post-111549-0-58998800-1413349030_thumb.

post-111549-0-57992400-1413349047_thumb.

@pdv789

The thing is, when you start getting above 1080p, you become GPU bound, not CPU bound.  The CPU has little impact on performance at that point because you are purely GPU bound.

At any price point, Intel provides a better option for gamers.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

So then would op be better off buying a newer vga card that supports custom resolutions and down sampling from above 1080p so he is no longer cpu bound by that logic? I mean it was more than acceptable fps without AA. And I'm sure that the fx4130 could be overclocked on just about any board to at least 4-4.2ghz to help with a little more headroom.

http://www.tweaktown.com/tweakipedia/55/amd-fx-8350-powering-gtx-780-sli-vs-gtx-980-sli-at-2560x1440/index.html

So yes, there will be a slight performance degradation compared to Intel, but not too much (I know they are nVidia GPUs but its just for reference). But I doubt your board will tackle an 8-core very well

Part of the Q6600 club

can you do the same multiplayer BF4 test on 1080p with the FX8350 @ stock, all 8 cores?

Im very interessted to see the gpu load then.

But im not that very suprised that a GTX970 is not getting holding back that much.

Because the GM204 is not a highend chip. it does perform better then GTX780 GK110.

However this is more because of the compression magic that happens inside the card.

I think that compression technology is not realy effecting cpu load. Because it happens inside the gpu.

I think that that might be the reason why the GTX970 performs verywell on a FX8350.

It looks like that the compression technology take some of the overhead away from cpu´s.

Like mantle on AMD gpu´s does.

This is still going? An R9 270 and a 8350 on the MSI 970 gaming works fine, I can't get them to bottleneck, I'm sure the r9 280 will be fine

Sure, I'll go down clock my cpu again, be back in an hour or so.

i7 4790K gives way more gaming performance then FX8000 series, it's factual. The question would be, how much your game is CPU intensive and is it what make the difference or 4790K gives a major gaming boost performance whatever the game is CPU intensive or not.

PC : | CPU: Intel 4790K | COOLER: Corsair H105 w/ JetFlo's Push/Pull | MOBO: EVGA Z97 Classified | GPU: EVGA FTW 4GB GTX 970 X2 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 1866Mhz 32GB | CASE: HAF Stacker 945 | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | DISPLAY: Asus MX299Q | SSD: 2 X Corsair Neutron GTX 480 GB in RAID0 | mSATA SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB | HDD: 4 X Western Digital RED 4 TB in JBOD |

i7 4790K gives way more gaming performance then FX8000 series, it's factual. The question would be, how much your game is CPU intensive and is it what make the difference or 4790K gives a major gaming boost performance whatever the game is CPU intensive or not.

And the 4690k for that matter.

As for people using 3 years informations when 2 GB VRAM was ''enough for games'', i7 gives benefits in games, some get more, some get less.

PC : | CPU: Intel 4790K | COOLER: Corsair H105 w/ JetFlo's Push/Pull | MOBO: EVGA Z97 Classified | GPU: EVGA FTW 4GB GTX 970 X2 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 1866Mhz 32GB | CASE: HAF Stacker 945 | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | DISPLAY: Asus MX299Q | SSD: 2 X Corsair Neutron GTX 480 GB in RAID0 | mSATA SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB | HDD: 4 X Western Digital RED 4 TB in JBOD |

As for people using 3 years informations when 2 GB VRAM was ''enough for games'', i7 gives benefits in games, some get more, some get less.

Are you talking to me here?

Not really, it's was just a note for anyone that have access to it because I've keep reading irreleavant informations from 3 years ago that people spray on the forum.

Not really, it's was just a note for anyone that have access to it because I've keep reading irreleavant informations from 3 years ago that people spray on the forum.

Please use quote ;)

Although something to keep in mind.. the games that run well on i7 because they use the threads also run well on FX because they use the threads.

Here are the screenshots of the 8350 stock speeds and their usage. The first pic is to confirm it's at complete stock speeds. The second is rendered at 4k down sampled to 1080p with max AA getting a constant 30-40fps with 1 dip down to 28. In the third and last pic we see BF4 rendered at 4k as well down sampled with no AA and a constant 50-58fps range. I even got into a helicopter and wreaked havoc trying to get it to dip down to the 40s. This is my experience on it and it will differ than others so take it with a grain of salt.

post-111549-0-34748800-1413389163_thumb.

post-111549-0-44765600-1413389184_thumb.

post-111549-0-07792500-1413389249_thumb.

As someone with an r9 280x and fx 6300, no it will not in real world and gaming usage. My gpu is always at 100% and my CPU is never maxed. This is at 1080p resolution.

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man