Computer inside a vacuum

Sorimachi

Yeah... Googling vacuum and computer gets you only, using a vacuum to clean a computer...

In a recent video, Linus talked about having all your fans set to exhaust, and how your computer would pull dust from the cracks etc... so it raises the question, what would happen if you had some sort of perfect pure exhaust system? or How would your computer react inside a vacuum?

It wouldn't be a vacuum with just fans installed, the air would just leak back in through the fan blades.

If you're talking about a vacuum that's already set up, it would just overheat as no air is cooling it

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

How would it get air to cool your components?

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

if a pc was inside a vacuum it would just overheat

"Anything that makes a console more like a PC, makes it better" 

-Linus Sebastian

I believe the satellites orbiting earth, along with their circuitry, are working in the hard vacuum of space. but space is as cold as 2.7 degrees Kelvin, so I dunno if that's a fair comparison. 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

no air= no circulation=no cooling= dead PC

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

Wouldn't work, components rely on air cooling, although a water cooling loop may work but I dont know

I wonder if capacitors would blow up  :unsure:

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

the computer parts would blow up and spread all around the vaccum to fill up the empty space.

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

computer in a full vacuum would quickly overheat as there is no air pulling heat away from the heatsinks/radiators causing them to quickly heat soak.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

@Briggsy @Sonefiler

The components probably wouldn't blow up.

The computer would start heating up, but probably slower than we'd think (heat dissipation through radiation).

EDIT: corrected some things.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I to always wondered about this but if all heat generating parts are liquid cooled and the rads and pump are outside the vacuum, does the same thing happens or the pm just works fine

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

@Briggsy @Sonefiler

The components probably wouldn't blow up.

The computer would start heating up, but probably slower than we'd think (heat dissipation through radiation).

EDIT: corrected some things.

I was specifically thinking about capacitors errupting - not due to heat, but the lack of external pressure. newer solid caps probably would hold up better, but I think they would still go pop. only one way to find out I guess...  :)

bulging_capacitors.jpg