I think for pc gaming, long term, nvidia is doomed.

Sammael

Now some of you are probably thinking this is crazy talk, but there is a single reason for my saying this.  Nvidia will always be competitive for discreet gpu performance, if not dominant.  But on the cpu side, they are non existent, and unless they start porting pc games to arm chips, project denver is not going to save them.

The trump card for amd?  Asynchronous gpu scaling (AGS).  With mantle and dx12, we seem to be moving to a world where raw cpu power is no longer the constraint for gaming.  And that means whoever brings the best gpu performance + good enough cpu performance is king.

And there is something amd can do that both nvidia and intel can't, they can use xdma tech to support asynchronous gpu scaling with a discreet amd gpu.

Future AMD APU chips coupled to AMD gpus will probably be able to outscale AMD+nvidia combos or intel+AMD/Nvidia combos.

You used to have to have gpus of similar power and type to support multi gpu gaming, but with AGS, you can more easily program gpus of varying power levels.  How is intel going to counter that?  Making integrated stronger?  That won't beat out an APU+ discreet gpu combo.  And as good as nvidia gpus are or will be, not having an extra graphical co-processor by DEFAULT coupled to an AMD APU will be a drag on performance / dollar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDPgJB2x7dQ#t=33m16s

According to that the asynchronous gpu scaling is something possible in mantle, not sure if it will be implemented in dx12.  If not, then it will be limited to mantle games, if it's included in dx12, then nvidia is at a severe disadvantage since they have no x86 cpu/gpu combo chip to pitch in additional performance.

nb4 stfu amd fanboy

but seriously, nvidia is doomed long term, that is why they are trying to create exit paths in mobile.  It won't happen for years to come, but their future in the pc gaming space is dim.

So tell me, am I the only one taking crazy pills?  Or is it you all?

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

I somewhat agree... But they have all these closed technologies which may keep them up for longer than you may predict... They feel like the Apple of graphics cards right now...

Nvidia will do fine and continue being the top of the GPU market for a long time.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

TL:DR basicsally but Nvidia doesnt need CPUs to be competitive.

TL:DR basicsally but Nvidia doesnt need CPUs to be competitive.

For nvidia to be competitive, without a gpu boost gained from an AMD apu/discreet gpu combo, their discreet gpu would have to be more powerful than both the amd discreet gpu AND the additional gpu power gained from the APU.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

--snip--

if they get absorbed by intel the opposite will happen

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

For nvidia to be competitive, without a gpu boost gained from an AMD apu/discreet gpu combo, their discreet gpu would have to be more powerful than both the amd discreet gpu AND the additional gpu power gained from the APU.

Nvidia does other major things than gaming GPUs

if they get absorbed by intel the opposite will happen

That wont happen

That wont happen

who knows

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

Nvidia is worth more money than AMD in the CPU and GPU market at the same time. Honestly technology is progressing so fast that soon enough quantum computing will replace the shitty silicon processing long before anything you said in your post happens.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Nvidia is worth more money than AMD in the CPU and GPU market at the same time. Honestly technology is progressing so fast that soon enough quantum computing will replace the shitty silicon processing long before anything you said in your post happens.

or carbon nanotubes 

We will go to graphite before quantum in my opinion.

or carbon nanotubes because after 1nm it is impossible to get smaller as that si an atom width

Where the fuck did you go to school that says an atom is 1nm

We will go to graphite before quantum in my opinion.

Either way dedicated GPUs will still be really important, and Nvidia will definitely get there before AMD does, since AMD is so far behind in technologies and process nodes.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Where the fuck did you go to school that says an atom is 1nm

shit i messed up

AMD has yet to release a decent APU for serious gaming.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

AMD has yet to release a decent APU for serious gaming.

or an updated fx processor i mean come on intel is at 14 nm you are at 32 amd dammet cach up

amd is slackin so nvidia is fine for a long time, let alone amd hasnt yet shown any signs of pushing any new platforms or anything a powerful as the haswell-e chips. theyre not doomed, they have a huge lead so it may seem like they have less to release, but hey i mean thats what engineers get payed for, right?

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Nvidia does other major things than gaming GPUs

This is the main thing here. GeForce sales represent a nondominant percent of all sales NV has. a big majority of the sales is tesla and quadro. in those spaces, amd has a very small presence, and intel is on a completly different approach to it.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

This is the main thing here. GeForce sales represent a nondominant percent of all sales NV has. a big majority of the sales is tesla and quadro. in those spaces, amd has a very small presence, and intel is on a completly different approach to it.

True. Everyone I know who writes GPU-accelerated software for medical applications uses CUDA. It's annoying that they aren't using open standards but when a lot of these projects got started, OpenCL was still in its infancy.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

I tend to agree that nvidia is not in as good of a spot as AMD is in for the long term, mainly for the 2 deciding factors that usually matter in all capitalistic endeavours. 1 affordability. 2 demographics.

Look at the world realize that where the population growth is is not where the big money is. Then realise that rising standards of living in Asia and Africa enable more of the worlds population to partake in the PC market. As long as AMD continues to dominate on the value front they'll be fine.

Not that I've done any major analysis or anything, and that is taking an actual longterm view which does not account for change or when shit happens/hits the fan. Additional though I do not own any AMD products, that is quite likely going to change with my next upgrade.

True. Everyone I know who writes GPU-accelerated software for medical applications uses CUDA. It's annoying that they aren't using open standards but when a lot of these projects got started, OpenCL was still in its infancy.

that, and the fact that CUDA is still considerably stronger and faster, since it is an actual compute language. as far as ive been told, oCL is just a repacked render language.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]