I have a I5 Z77 gaming rig planned is it worth getting haswell instead?

Not 100% sure if this is the right part of the forum to be posting this but as title says I have a I5 Z77 build planned but haven't brought anything yet, I hear everything about Haswell coming out I was wondering if I should re-plan my build for haswell? Would it be a better choice to go? My budget is around $1300 - $1400 (AUS) including a monitor. Any help/ input would be great, i have been about wondering this for a while as Haswell is right on the door step. :)

Here's a link to my planned build. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/21911-would-love-some-advice-on-parts-for-my-gaming-build/

I'd stick with IVB personally, unless you care about the significantly decreased power consumption. Also Haswell apparently heats up more than IVB - and IVB heats up a bit.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Please don't make duplicate threads for the same build :)

Please don't make duplicate threads for the same build :)

Sorry about that! Didn't mean to :)

No point really nothing major has changed with Haswell he i5 still dosent support hyper threading or anything fancy.
But its your choice, have a look at this video it should help you out:

And there's this one as well if you decide to go Haswelll

Hope this helps you make a decision.

Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted

(Do not try to work the meaning out you will go insane I have tried it)

No point really nothing major has changed with Haswell he i5 still dosent support hyper threading or anything fancy.

But its your choice, have a look at this video it should help you out:

And there's this one as well if you decide to go Haswelll

Hope this helps you make a decision.

Thanks for the videos :) the main reason is just as I got to know IVB everyone takes about Haswell, got very confusing very fast.  

Stick with ivy. Haswell has a higher price tag and I don't think it's worth it. Ivy is plenty fast and you're better off spending your money upgrading other parts.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I'd go Haswell personally... runs a little hotter than Ivy but has a slight IPC improvement, as well as better motherboard selection.

Nah, go Sandy just to be cool.  :ph34r:

Nah, go Sandy just to be cool. :ph34r:

<_<

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

<_<

:D

On a more serious note, I'm not overly impressed with Haswell.  IB still makes the cut, which is why I'm not recommending going Haswell at this time until the prices drop.

:D

On a more serious note, I'm not overly impressed with Haswell. IB still makes the cut, which is why I'm not recommending going Haswell at this time until the prices drop.

The decreased power consumption is impressive with Haswell. Though I wonder if Intel could've just used 1155 to support the new C states. Also, Intel should've used fluxless solder.

I am AMD all the way, have been since the early days of the Athlon CPU's but the release of Haswell is starting to make me think about switching and trying it out.

I am AMD all the way, have been since the early days of the Athlon CPU's but the release of Haswell is starting to make me think about switching and trying it out.

By trying it out, do you mean Haswell or Intel in general?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Haswell, I am planning on building a new system anyway so I thought why not go Haswell and push he CPU  to the max i can with the water loop I am going to install so.

That and am running the FX-8120 and it is lacking something at the high loads so yeah lets see what happens :)
I could be pleasantly surprised with the results if not I have an FX-8350 stashed for now and a Crosshair V Formula-Z for a fall back.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry guys I forgot to reply to this thread! 

The thing is though I  feel more comfortable with IVB over haswell manly because I know to look for when buying :) and If haswell would be able to stay within my budget?

And I'm really getting a mixed response one which platform to choose

It's your decision ultimately. If you want IVB, then go with IVB. No one can force you to choose.

It's your decision ultimately. If you want IVB, then go with IVB. No one can force you to choose.

Thanks for you input :) The only thing i can think of is if i go for the Intel Core I5 4670k and the GIGABYTE GA-Z87-D3HP 

But i'm not sure if these are good products or if I will really get any better performance than i would with the IVB? 

Thanks for you input :) The only thing i can think of is if i go for the Intel Core I5 4670k and the GIGABYTE GA-Z87-D3HP 

But i'm not sure if these are good products or if I will really get any better performance than i would with the IVB? 

The performance boost isn't much when you consider haswell is more expensive for the cpu AND mobo, Ivy is the better bang for your buck choice.

It really depends. You may end up getting a good 4670K, or a bad one. And you may end up getting a 4670K that stays relatively cool. You will technically get better performance, but it's pretty negligible.