"Hatsune Miku will perform on David Letterman's 'The Late Show' tonight"

TopWargamer

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/8/6947813/hatsune-miku-david-letterman-the-late-show-appearance

Virtual pop star Hatsune Miku will make her U.S. television debut tonight with an appearance on The Late Show with David Letterman. The Vocaloid-powered singer will perform, in hologram form, at the show's Ed Sullivan Theater in New York.

I know that Hatsune Miku is popular, but damn, is she really this popular? i never would have thought that Hatsune Miku would be performing on US TV, especially not on a late night show, and definitely not on David Letterman's late night show. It's just extremely surprising to me that a fictional character who none of the US audience can understand is getting so popular over here.

Hey, I certainly don't mind it at all. It's just surprising to me!

Anyways, David Letterman's late night show starts at 11:35 PM EST on CBS. 

hatsune_miku.0.0_cinema_960.0.jpg

COMIC SANS

A Person from facebook 

It's still very strange to me that she'll be on David Letterman. While I think it's awesome that her popularity is spreading, I don't know how people who never seen her or listened to her music take it

^^First thing that came to my mind.

i just hope there isn't too much of that happening

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Ummm, she's fictional. How is she gonna appear on "real" TV?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Hatsune Miku Live in NYC?

Why dafuq not!? hahahaha. Hopefully Murricans won't be too rejecting of the culture and treat it with respect instead...

Holograms mate...

I'd want to watch one show of her just to drool over the tech behind making it possible...

Hologram in the studio. They've done it before and it's worked, although I've never seen a vocaloid gig before, so I may just have to go and see what it's like now. Will report back my views on it all.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Otakus in the US will think this is cool. 

Everyone else will be creeped out. 

We prefer to use holograms for 2pac not otaku crap. Not that that's better. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

It's in the quote in my OP. 

COMIC SANS

"It's just a rip-off of Tupac and Michael Jackson." You know it's gonna happen.

Yep miku and her sexually obsessed male fans were first

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

"It's just a rip-off of Tupac and Michael Jackson." You know it's gonna happen.

Yeah, sadly... (Too bad JP went ahead with the holograms before US did... iirc)

Can i watch it live somewhere?

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Success should depend on the song and voicebank they decide to use. Miku isn't my favorite to begin with, and doesn't have great English. Do they subtitle? As long as they have the Sega animations, it should be okay. I'm not predicting a sudden increase in her popularity though.

Saw this a while back. This will be interesting. 

Here's a example of how the hologram is: 

They actually had a Miku hologram performance in the US a while back. Two of them I think, tickets were really costy if I remember correctly. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Erm. It's not inherently bad music, I think it's quite good actually, although I wouldn't choose to listen to it over something by Tristan say, or muse. But the one thought I keep having is how badly this will go down with those who don't have any previous knowledge of what a vocaloid is.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Success should depend on the song and voicebank they decide to use. Miku isn't my favorite to begin with, and doesn't have great English. Do they subtitle? As long as they have the Sega animations, it should be okay. I'm not predicting a sudden increase in her popularity though.

Agreed... People tend to reject this culture on the surface..

I just hope they play this song...

Agreed... People tend to reject this culture on the surface..

I just hope they play this song...

Yes. Yes. Really strongly. 

muh specs 

All parts black

The technology behind the holograms is pretty darn cool. Gotta love engineers. 

Love the melody of this song in particular

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

The technology behind the holograms is pretty darn cool. Gotta love engineers. 

Finally scooby doo makes sense. 

muh specs 

All parts black

must watch tonight... now time to figure out what channel CBS is on since I never watch TV. Wonder if it will be in English or Japanese.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

Finally scooby doo makes sense. 

Ha I remember wasting my hours away watching that on Saturday mornings. Those were the days... I wish I could go back in time... the things I'd do differently... *sigh*

Welp we are who we are because of what we've come in contact with till now. 

I can tell which forum members are considerably younger than I am to be shocked over stuff like this.

Let me dig up something from my generation:

I was waiting for you to make your debut on this thread. haha

Yep miku and her sexually obsessed male fans were first

Idk if you know, but... Usually asian popular music is gender based, look at k-pop for example, SNSD is a full girl (idols) music group (which was made to target the male audience), and then we have Big Bang another full boys music group (which was made to target the female audience). None of the group members for both sides, are permitted to have girlfriends/boyfriends. Which making a fictional character that anyone can use, doesn't eat, doesn't recieves a salary, and most importantly can't engage in real life relationships, makes the perfect business...

Idk if you know, but... Usually asian popular music is gender based, look at k-pop for example, SNSD is a full girl (idols) music group (which was made to target the male audience), and then we have Big Bang another full boys music group (which was made to target the female audience). None of the group members for both sides, are permitted to have girlfriends/boyfriends. Which making a fictional character that anyone can use, doesn't eat, doesn't recieves a salary, and most importantly can't have engage in real life relationships, makes the perfect business...

Oh oh don't forget to add, ANYONE with the voicebank/synth can make music therefore adding to the fandom. 

Look at all the different Vocaloids that exist now. The super popular song "Porter Robinson - Sad Machine" took itunes charts by storm a while back and the vocals featured Porter himself and AVANNA a vocaloid synth.