4790k vs 4690k Gaming pc build help

Go to solution Solved by 79wjd,

I know it all comes down to hyper threading and all i do is game. I have been told time after time the 4690k is fine for gaming now.  So my main question is..... If i plan not to upgrade my board/processor for 3-5 years should I go with the extra $100 for the i7 4790k?   Do you think gaming will be mutlithreaded properly in the new few years.    MY other question is IF i go with the i5 4690k and gaming say in two to three years is multi threaded will not having an i7 be a huge difference or just very mininmal?    Last question.   If i go with a 4690k and then in 3 years want to change it for some  thing newer that is multi threaded can the new processor just be applied to the same board if compatible or is it on there once it is pasted on?

you can upgrade the CPU to a newer one in the future. Z97 will officially support Broadwell; and I've heard rumors (well one) that it will also support Skylake. 

Anyway, newer games are starting to benefit slightly from more than 4 cores, but games are still designed for the lowest common denominator -- which is still dual cores....so a 4690k should be more than enough for the next few years, and by the time games truly benefit from hyperthreading, a 4790k will probably be ready to be replaced anyway -- As of right now there are only a handful of games which can utilize more than four cores (namely BF3/4). 

I know it all comes down to hyper threading and all i do is game. I have been told time after time the 4690k is fine for gaming now.  So my main question is..... If i plan not to upgrade my board/processor for 3-5 years should I go with the extra $100 for the i7 4790k?   Do you think gaming will be mutlithreaded properly in the new few years.    MY other question is IF i go with the i5 4690k and gaming say in two to three years is multi threaded will not having an i7 be a huge difference or just very mininmal?    Last question.   If i go with a 4690k and then in 3 years want to change it for some  thing newer that is multi threaded can the new processor just be applied to the same board if compatible or is it on there once it is pasted on?

4690K!

I Love Playing CS:GO!

Current 

AMD Athlon X4 760K | MSI A78M-E45 | Sapphire R7 265 | Cougar Solution | Cooler Master Hyper T4 | ADATA XPg V1.0 1600Mhz 8GB | Fractal Design 650W

i7 multi-threaded performance is 30% better, no comments other than that.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

you can upgrade the CPU to a newer one in the future. Z97 will officially support Broadwell; and I've heard rumors (well one) that it will also support Skylake. 

Anyway, newer games are starting to benefit slightly from more than 4 cores, but games are still designed for the lowest common denominator -- which is still dual cores....so a 4690k should be more than enough for the next few years, and by the time games truly benefit from hyperthreading, a 4790k will probably be ready to be replaced anyway -- As of right now there are only a handful of games which can utilize more than four cores (namely BF3/4). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Three years is a long time in the computer component world.  Less so in the gaming world.  

You're asking us to speculate on things that we can't predict.  The 4690k will best suit your usage right now, and will probably be fine in a few years.  Maybe games will be multithreaded three years from now, but more likely is the 46/4790k will then be obsolete, and there will be better options.  

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

Why overclockers should understand Load-Line Calibration.

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

and I've heard rumors (well one) that it will also support Skylake. 

That's impossible, unless Skylake is another die shrink. New architecture always needs a new chipset.

4690K all day, unless you do some weird shit while you game (like stream and watch 593479875346845674035863K video).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

i5-4690k.  Put that $100 towards a better GPU, cooling, PSU, SSD, Case, etc..

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

4690K definitely. I don't expect to replace mine anytime in the next few/several years (potentially until we aren't using silicon anymore). The fact of the matter is that games aren't the most difficult operations for CPUs to handle and hyperthreading for games will likely be (as said above) for dual core processors anyways.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | ASUS Z97-A | Intel Core i5 4690K | G.Skill Ripjaw 4 GB (desperately needs upgrade) | MSI Radeon R9 290 | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB SSD | Seagate Constellation 1 TB HDD (also needs upgrade) | NZXT Kraken X61 for CPU | NZXT Kraken X61 + G10 for GPU | Corsair M45 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | ASUS Xonar DSX | Denon AD-H2000

Wait for broadwell to come out.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...