Can Listening to High Frequencies Hurt Your Hearing?

I was curious, so I did a frequency hearing test on youtube. I could hear the sound until around 17000hz. But I'm kind of worried now. Can listening to a frequency that high damage your hearing? Or is it just high volumes that hurt your hearing?

Any replies are appreciated. :)

I think both.

Google is you friend for this question!

I Love Playing CS:GO!

Current 

AMD Athlon X4 760K | MSI A78M-E45 | Sapphire R7 265 | Cougar Solution | Cooler Master Hyper T4 | ADATA XPg V1.0 1600Mhz 8GB | Fractal Design 650W

As long as the volume is reasonable, there is no problem. But it's easy to not realize you might be a bit too loud with highs, so be careful :).

all freq can burn your ears.

So its just high decibels?

yes

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Yes it can, i read a great Reddit post that is kinda relevant about this: http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1dkzab/can_our_ears_be_harmed_by_sounds_we_cant_hear/

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

Apparently the most damaging frequencies are 2-4khz

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

High frequencies take less dB to damage hearing.

Also, don't trust that YouTube video alone - between the compression algorithms and your headphones themselves, the system as a whole might not even be producing anything above 17k. Go see a real audiologist do find out if you have worse than normal hearing loss.

hi shermdinger

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Also, don't trust that YouTube video alone - between the compression algorithms and your headphones themselves, the system as a whole might not even be producing anything above 17k. Go see a real audiologist do find out if you have worse than normal hearing loss.

I know youtube compression limits videos at 18khz. I have some $50 bose speakers. Could that be it? (really need to get some good headphones)

I would think that different frequencies damage our hearing at various levels, and that is based on the "equal loudness contour"... 80dB of a 20hz note doesn't sound as loud as 80dB of a 3khz note. So, the 3khz note would damage our ears more readily. (I think.) 

I am interested in the answer... because hearing loss is srs bzns.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Agree. Men normally get more pronounced hearing deterioration as we grow older (presbycusis). Our sensitivity to higher frequencies suffer the most as this progresses.

Our hearing was at its finest when we were babies. It just goes downhill from there. Very few male adults can hear upto 20kHz unless you abnormally crank up the intensity. It is only when someone falls too far from the median that one's hearing is considered abnormal. Hearing aid use late in life is not abnormal, for example -- it is like the graying of the hair.

Aside from presbycusis, there is also a study that correlates interaural distance to hearing cutoff. The conclusion is that in most cases, the bigger the head, the lower the sensitivity to higher frequencies.

Agree. Men normally get more pronounced hearing deterioration as we grow older (presbycusis). Our sensitivity to higher frequencies suffer the most as this progresses. Our hearing was at its finest when we were babies. It just goes downhill from there. Very few male adults can hear upto 20kHz unless you abnormally crank up the intensity. It is only when someone falls too far from the median that one's hearing is considered abnormal. Hearing aid use late in life is not abnormal, for example -- it is like the graying of the hair. Aside from presbycusis, there is also a study that correlates interaural distance to hearing cutoff. The conclusion is that in most cases, the bigger the head, the lower the sensitivity to higher frequencies.

I wish I was a female.  :(

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

I wish I was a female. :(

:o

We all have our unique strengths and weaknesses. It just happens that the other gender has keener sensory perception.

:o

We all have our unique strengths and weaknesses. It just happens that the other gender has keener sensory perception.

Now that I think about it, I've never really seen a woman with hearing aids....

I wish I was a female.  :(

Trading your hearing with sweaty days of bra wearing, and monthly 'visitor'?  :rolleyes:

Now that I think about it, I've never really seen a woman with hearing aids....

Awww come one, that's just plain sexist  :D

Of course there are women with hearing aids, just probably not statistically as much as men, considering what stagea said above. 

Trading your hearing with sweaty days of bra wearing, and monthly 'visitor'?  :rolleyes:

Actually, I've already lived life for two decades as a male. I kindda wish I could see what the world is like as a female anyways living a similar life.

...But that is totally off topic and a discussion for another day.  :ph34r:

Trading your hearing with sweaty days of bra wearing, and monthly 'visitor'? :rolleyes:

Awww come one, that's just plain sexist :D

Of course there are women with hearing aids, just probably not statistically as much as men, considering what stagea said above.

No I'm serious, it is really rare.

Youtube audio stops at 16 kHz. Find a better test somewhere else.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Youtube audio stops at 16 kHz. Find a better test somewhere else.

I still heard a beep at 17khz tho.

1142px-Lindos4.svg.png

Fletcher-munson curve. How lower the frequency, the more dB's you need to perceive it as equally loud. 

Our ears are meant for hearing voices in the first place, in this range (~3-4kHz) your hearing is damaged the easiest.