Mid 2010 Macbook Pro GPU problems (reflow attempted)

Domaaaas
Go to solution Solved by Domaaaas,

After a bit of tinkering I installed windows 8.1 on this mac, so far so good, a little little bit of lag, but eh, it's a 4 year old machine, I'm very pleased. Thank You, guys, for Your suggestions.

Hello everyone

Recently I got a mid-2010 Macbook Pro 13.3" for an absolutely good price, with 250GB HDD, 4GB of Ram and some kind of Core 2 Duo, that's all I know. I think this laptops' Nvidia GPU is partially broken. The hard drive is wiped, and the OS install DVD is inserted. These are the screens I get: http://imgur.com/a/OgR86 

1st image: Just after the chime
2nd image: After several seconds, apple logo appears with a rotating animation
3rd image: After the light blue screen, weird artifacts show up
4th image: After the artifacts, OS install windows shows up
5th image: Pressed enter, I think it manages to proceed the installation, but the screen is very glitchy.

Tried reflowing in the oven 2 times: First, the gpu only, second, the whole logic board. None of these attempts worked. Do You, guys, have any suggestions? Buy a cheap heatgun? Dissassemble the mac entirely ant sell the ram, hdd, cd-rom and the lcd? Thank You very much and sorry for my bad English smile.gif 

The 13" macbook pro's never had deticated GPUs to my knowledge, always used onboard graphics. I think its the screen, as it already has a huge crack on it

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Hello everyone

Recently I got a mid-2010 Macbook Pro 13.3" for an absolutely good price, with 250GB HDD, 4GB of Ram and some kind of Core 2 Duo, that's all I know. I think this laptops' Nvidia GPU is partially broken. The hard drive is wiped, and the OS install DVD is inserted. These are the screens I get: http://imgur.com/a/OgR86 

1st image: Just after the chime

2nd image: After several seconds, apple logo appears with a rotating animation

3rd image: After the light blue screen, weird artifacts show up

4th image: After the artifacts, OS install windows shows up

5th image: Pressed enter, I think it manages to proceed the installation, but the screen is very glitchy.

Tried reflowing in the oven 2 times: First, the gpu only, second, the whole logic board. None of these attempts worked. Do You, guys, have any suggestions? Buy a cheap heatgun? Dissassemble the mac entirely ant sell the ram, hdd, cd-rom and the lcd? Thank You very much and sorry for my bad English smile.gif 

Now my machine was an older system with the same issue with an ATi Radeon Card. It was a 2006 Macbook Pro, I used a heatgun on mine. Worked a treat. The only thing was that the right channel audio was damaged.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

The 13" macbook pro's never had deticated GPUs to my knowledge, always used onboard graphics. I think its the screen, as it already has a huge crack on it

The logic board had 2 seperate chips on it, 1 named "Nvidia" and the other named "Intel". The crack is just the glass only, the lcd is not damaged in any ways.

Now my machine was an older system with the same issue with an ATi Radeon Card. It was a 2006 Macbook Pro, I used a heatgun on mine. Worked a treat. The only thing was that the right channel audio was damaged.

Byt why then the oven trick didn't work? I preheated the oven to 200 degrees Celsius, and shoved the logic board in for 10 minutes, then let it cool for 20 minutes. Will it work differently with a heatgun?

Byt why then the oven trick didn't work? I preheated the oven to 200 degrees Celsius, and shoved the logic board in for 10 minutes, then let it cool for 20 minutes. Will it work differently with a heatgun?

Perhaps the solder has a higher melting point perhaps, not sure.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

Perhaps the solder has a higher melting point perhaps, not sure.

But You are sure that the logic board needs a reflow?

But You are sure that the logic board needs a reflow?

It sounds like it I had the issue of a glitching mouse cursor.

too bad u cant change the kernel to disregard the GPU and just use onboard... then this would be a lot simpler...

at least u could use your computer...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

After a bit of tinkering I installed windows 8.1 on this mac, so far so good, a little little bit of lag, but eh, it's a 4 year old machine, I'm very pleased. Thank You, guys, for Your suggestions.