Shadow of Mordor. How are you playing it?

Oshino Shinobu

I've really enjoyed Shadow of Mordor so far, but I found the combat system for large groups of enemies is far too easy. I tried turning off all the combat prompts and enemy outlines to see how much difference it makes and I love it now. I think it makes the game much better looking without massive prompts popping up over enemies every 2 seconds. Also makes the combat a fair bit harder as you have to watch enemies more. 

Are you playing with the default settings? Or have you removed the prompt telling you which button to press, or completely disabled them like me?

Quick ShadowPlay video of combat in a stronghold without combat prompts. I think it looks much better without them:

I am still playing with prompts, might turn them off in a bit though. I still died a number of times to tough captains ganging up on me (4-6 at once) so I'm not too concerned with difficulty so far. I really like the production values and the graphical realisation of the game, but the story is a little rushed. Could have done with say another 5-6 missions to elongate the narration a little, would have especially liked a little more content early on concerning the wraith.

Other than thart I just tend to tear through the ranks and try to murder Uruks in humiliating fashions ^_^

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Groups are just fucking annoying when you're trying to interrogate someone.

Other than that,stealth <3.

Oh,and the upgrade which stuns people when you jump over them(space+space) is super awesome.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I've really enjoyed Shadow of Mordor so far, but I found the combat system for large groups of enemies is far too easy. I tried turning off all the combat prompts and enemy outlines to see how much difference it makes and I love it now. I think it makes the game much better looking without massive prompts popping up over enemies every 2 seconds. Also makes the combat a fair bit harder as you have to watch enemies more. 

Are you playing with the default settings? Or have you removed the prompt telling you which button to press, or completely disabled them like me?

Quick ShadowPlay video of combat in a stronghold without combat prompts. I think it looks much better without them:

I would but my cpu is a Pentium D:

Oh good those prompts can be turned of ^_^ When I get that game I want it to look as clean as possiable. 

I wanna play this game so bad :(

Do the prompts give you anything that you wouldn't get otherwise? Special strikes, etc.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Do the prompts give you anything that you wouldn't get otherwise? Special strikes, etc.

A special strike(execution) will set your blade on fire or something like that.It doesn't have anything to do with fire though.It's just a move that insta-kills any normal urk and damages heavily captains(warchiefs,etc.).

No, promts just show you when to counter and to dodge.Oh,and also the alert state of the enemy.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Nope. If you watch the video, you can see when the blade glows blue, you have an execution available. Other than that, the prompts are basically massive signs above the enemy heads saying RIGHT CLICK NOW when they're about to attack. Turning them off means that you have to watch enemies and block when they're about to attack. 

A special strike(execution) will set your blade on fire or something like that.It doesn't have anything to do with fire though.It's just a move that insta-kills any normal urk and damages heavily captains(warchiefs,etc.).

No, promts just show you when to counter and to dodge.Oh,and also the alert state of the enemy.

Nope. If you watch the video, you can see when the blade glows blue, you have an execution available. Other than that, the prompts are basically massive signs above the enemy heads saying RIGHT CLICK NOW when they're about to attack. Turning them off means that you have to watch enemies and block when they're about to attack. 

Good to know! I think I'll cross my fingers and hope that this game hits the Steam winter sale, and I'll pick it up then.

Or in the new year, I'm sure it'll drop in price by the time I've reworked my desktop.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red